KD7BCH

Members
  • Content Count

    536
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by KD7BCH

  1. Yes I'd like that. I'm not trolling asking a legit question. Same 15 threads seem to be the only activity. So its been 2 months since. Pentinent Scholar felt like it was a legit question sorry to offend those who can't be bothered to post a profile pic.
  2. Seems the forums are dead, game hasn't been updated in months. I know that dev can be lulled but weren't we told in one of the major roadmaps that updates were coming more often not less? Just curious but has this changed or what is going on?
  3. I also think that if you are going to do skill books, and have a skill system, a radical change in how the percentages work should occur. Learned knowledge via survival skill books is going to come fast, early and then slow later on. Slowly increasing your skill over time makes sense for skills. Skills such as as how to build a fire, how to fix a bandage, how to prevent infection, how to cook, these should all basic things which should load the skill on the early side of learning. Example, say for the fire starting one, assume your base chance, regardless of materials and number of times you've lit a fire, say you are "read up on the subject" only 1 hour, this would increase your chance of starting a fire by 5%, cumulative 5% the next hour, another 4%, cumulative 9% next hour another 3%, cumulative 12% next hour, another 2%, cumulative 14% next hour another 1%, cumulative 15% next two hours 1%, cumulative 16% next four hours another 1%. cumulative 17% next eight hours 1%, cumulative 18% next sixteen hours 1%, cumulative 19% last sixteen hours 1%, cumulative 20% increased chance to light a fire. Starting a fire is pretty basic once you have the materials you need, Oxygen, fuel and heat is all you need, Heat is typically the hardest one to come by since that is usually the primary reason you are building a fire in the first place. Oxygen is limitless but is rate limited based on how you craft the structure of your fuel. Surface area and etc. The point being all of this can be explained in the first hour or two of reading and then the skill is much more about practice, trial and error to find out what doesn't work based on the know how you have. This is loosely how the current skill system is implemented and I like that when you succeed at building a fire you increase skill as well. An example of what should be experience based after lots of knowledge is the fire bow drill. You should be able to read up on this but the experience of making the drill and then using it is what will get you making fires.
  4. I like the skill books. I don't find the restrictions that anytime you are in the red on any condition or suffering a medical condition that you cant learn at all. I think it would make far more sense if you'd learn at a reduced rate. Such as if you are tired, you learn at 50%, if you are tired and cold, you learn at 25%. In this way you'd still incentive good condition but not eliminate time spent learning while hypothermic.
  5. Shouldn't this "feat skill" of cold fusion be something you could activate for a set time instead of a constant? You know something like you will yourself to not face the cold. Because I agree a 4C boost against weather which could be gotten in a few hundred days makes the later game too easy by too much.
  6. Ah well in that case that makes more sense.
  7. Just like we can mark cars we have already looted or been past by leaving the hood up. We should be able to do this with the trunk too please.
  8. Wow really? Tireless Menace is a big step forward.
  9. KD7BCH

    Supply runs

    Pleasant Valley is one of the hardest maps to start in because of the distance between places and the almost constant windchills. Remember that when out wood gathering you can make piles at points along your route to wherever you are going. Also leave some water staged here too. It doesn't feeze yet... and then you dont have to carry it multiple times, also use tinder bundles to mark your route if you are unsure, there are always more of thse than you need, also the fire brands are working well on for that at the moment too. Even a few markers can go a long way to help you figure out where you are. You can also make them into arrow shapes to point the way to or from resources. PV is one of the most difficult maps to get lost on in a blizzard. Always better to have a route home to follow should you have to pack it in.
  10. Certainly would keep you warm but I think several hours is vastly overestimated. Water hold a lot of heat however if the bottle is not insulated it would rapidly become cold. Also how do you plan to heat a 2l of plastic? While possible it isn't practical for two reasons, plastic is a poor conductor with a low melting point so while you can heat water in a plastic bottle you run the risk of melting it if you use conduction heat to do so which would be the fastest way. Best way is to use a metal pan, at this point we don't have a metal pan used this way. The plastic bottle is another abstract which could become a real difficulty in that we have to search it out or use a pan and not be able to carry the water. (More difficulty) You'd really only ever need to carry a few liters of water because of weight but you could store up to your full supply, again leveraging a resource and stockpiling in order to free up time and energy to acquire other resources. Keeping your supply liquid would be another thing "to do indoors" and exactly the type of thinking problem that belongs in the long dark. https://blog.doingsciencetostuff.com/2013/03/11/a-hot-cup-of-tea/ Regarding how fast water cools, the below chart is semi-scientific, the above link is where it is from, and shows that the slopes are largely similar for water/tea bearing vessels. The teacup is arguably the least insulated while the kettles and pots more so. I also think it would be interesting to carry a bottle of water for warmth, however, if it is in un-insulated plastic, starting at say 50C it would take less than an hour in any vessel to before it lost its heat and dropped to zero C if the ambient temperature of the environment was -20C. Forgoing the math the key take-a-ways are that the greatest heat loss rates are in the first time period after the vessel is removed from the heat source. This is why you can eat a burger 5 minutes off the grill but not 5 seconds, but even 20 minutes off it will still be warm. Were the ambient temperature -20C and we starting with a 50C bottle of water the temperature would quickly drop to 0C, stay there while the water undergoes a phase change and then freezes. Water at any temp below 36C doesn't benefit us because body temp is 36C. So even a 2 liter bottle against your body would only give you less than an hour of benefit.
  11. KD7BCH

    Brands

    The Ultimate TLD Native you are!
  12. I agree Cekivi. But I also think there should be costs for both keeping water in under your jacket. In a cold environment water inside a bottle in any quantity would lose heat rapidly, effectively making the water bottle a heatsink which rapidly depletes heat from the body. Were it directly exposed to air, water causes skin to lose heat about 25X faster than air. So the cost would be increasing your cold drain. Keeping 10L of liquid around is also less practical but fact is you can essentially leverage water indefinitely and in create an infinite supply. There is also no cost to containing it, no loss once the water is created. You never spill it, it never evaporates it. If you keep a fire and coal going and keep the ambient temperature of the rooms at 40-45 constantly that would be good. Once water is liquid it holds a substantial amount of heat energy, and is twice as difficult to heat up then when it is in solid or or gas form. I'm not advocating super realism here just that after a day of running around that a bottle of water can freeze, and so you can't drink it unless you heat it up. The benefit of heating it would be that it takes less time than boiling water from snow but it should still cost fuel. This would be legit difficulty. We have a system of "wetness" for wet clothes when you fall through thin ice, should work similar for liquid bottled water. Each bottle could have its own characteristic and when you combine them you preserve the liquidity because you preserve the heat. When you divide the size you reduce the tolerance to heat loss. Perhaps another reason to carry a larger quantity of water. All tradeoffs which make good sense for difficulty.
  13. Hi Chill welcome back. Hope your time in Dark Souls 3. Water right now, Abstract Bottles, Abstract Snow, take snow, melt it then you have tangible dangerous to drink water in unlimited container supply, then you boil this water and once boiled it never freezes again. See what I mean. So the next step I see regarding making the game more difficult but not unreasonably so is making water subject to the environment. Water wouldn't be directly subject to windchill but should/would be subject to the temperature of the environment. All of the interiors are below 32F and the exterior in TLD is never above 32F so the only thing that should be keeping water liquid would be the energy in the water from the initial boiling. However once that water freezes it then again is ice. You can't drink ice. My increased level of difficulty for Stalker would be that you have to melt liquids. This would necessitate a fire daily which would be more challenging. It would also prevent you from drinking without the ability to build a fire. Now you suggested that you'd have to wrap water to insulate it and that would indeed work to a point but even the best insulation isn't creating any heat, and so the heat inside the water is slowing being lost to the environment through the insulation. I also support the idea of having to locate the capacity you have for water. Instead of being able to leverage the unlimited supply of fuel by making an unlimited supply of water we should have to locate the containers for it.
  14. One thing I would do to make Stalker instantly more difficult is make it so you have to melt water to drink it. And keep a maximum amount of water liquid. Say one or two liter bottles could be kept liquid. When they introduce the multi-tasking cooking mechanic which is on the road map and we have yet to see how this will work, it would be great if one of the things we'd have to do is also make water liquid instead of always assuming it to be liquid.
  15. I'm disagree that converting fuel into water is ever really a waste. It is always beneficial to do that than to sit idle. This is because one option creates resources while the other does not. While you still use fuel you have the option of using a truly renewable fuel source in sticks of which there are an unlimited supply. Starting a fire can be done with with the magnifying glass which is also truly limitless, unless they changes that. Once they create primitive firemaking and the firebow, then again it will be unlimited.
  16. I have seen a rope already attached in the ML Ravine area. If it is there it is visible from the Rail side of the Ravine that you cross with the big downed tree. You turn to the right 135 degrees and you can see it on the opposite cliff if it is there. If there is no rope there, you can go to the far end of Mystery Lake. By the 3 Lake Cabins is a climbable rope leading to a new area as of the last update. You can recover this rope. If you wander around you will find several places from up there you can decend with the rope. You will however no longer be able to access this area ever again since the only way to it is via the rope. I may be wrong on that last point. At one time I was able to climb into this region using a pathway up the steep sides of the path leading to Dave's Quiet Clearing. This was before the last update. The latest topography may have made this impossible. Best of luck finding all of this stuff.
  17. Agree and suggested this before as well. The biggest failures in the AI are the consistency with which they can be depended on to act or react in a certain way. The latest update changed that for wolf-player interactions in some ways and has greatly improved the game. The next step is to make it so that wolves do things like play or pretend to hunt even when they dont have a target, pretend to stalk, where wolves sit and pretend to watch over a point in the world, and then where they sometimes fail at their pursuit of deer. This would reduce the rate at which you can accumulate deer meat. Another step they have taken is that if you drive them off with a gunshot or a bow arrow near their position, the come back to draw you off from the kill they made. That is huge. The whole point of their kill was for them to eat and they aren't going to give up a kill to you unless they perceive more risk in engaging you or trying to draw you off than in just moving on. Even so wild animals are creatures of instinct rather than logic. They will not size you up properly sometimes which means you will be easier to make them run off some of the time or harder other times but what will dictate their behavior is their emotions and their desperation. Severe hunger for an animal or a lot of energy invested in making a kill will make it so that animal is more fervently protected as opposed to taking down a very weak animal that didn't offer much fight. They are doing a good job simulating animal behaviors in the AI already. Animals in the game always have to be gameplay objects first and then realism second but they are getting a better development pattern down and a really good balance is emerging.
  18. That was their choice.
  19. I really like the new sleep only when tired mechanic and I like the ability to pass time, while conditions are in the white you recharge slowly as well. I do not like the amount of overall fatigue level my character now seems to have. It seems that the bar is while not physically shorter represents a smaller amount of distance that can be traveled or energy exhausted than before but only marginally so, maybe 15%. It also seems that at times I return from a day where I started late or started early and find myself in need of an afternoon nap or unable to sleep while it is dark. I know the balance against hibernation is a big step in the right direction but I think it might have been too big a step. So while this is complex feedback here is what I like. I like that I can recover condition actively managing my conditions to keep them in the while. I like that I sometimes need to take a nap in the afternoon. I like that I can't sleep 12 hours all of the time. I dislike that I cannot ever sleep 12 hours anymore. I dislike that when resting it adds to fatigue though it should.
  20. I actually prefer the random nature. It would be nice if we could get the wolves off the CAP patterns they keep using and just moving about more randomly. Maybe have them sometimes randomly simulate the chase for prey and just play rather than always on the lookout until you or a rabbit comes into their view. Something to add variety.
  21. On a commercial air liner black box there is no switch or anything really unless you were an electrical engineer that you'd be able to construct a radio from or that you'd be able to create or activate a transmitter from. In order to read the data on these cards you'd have to have the software at a reading terminal designed specifically to interface with the circuts. In the case where there is no or minimal damage to the circuitry that is how it is done, in the case where there is catastrophic damage, they recover components from the damaged circuit boards and put them on similar circuit boards which are working and didn't go thorough a crash. All of this is only for data recording however and the locator equipment is only a sonar device typically. The reason for this is on land you have last known positions by radar, and satellite coverage, as well as helicopter searches, and a plane that goes down would be found relatively soon. The German Air crash a few years ago was located in a few hours and seen by people on the ground a few minutes after it happened. A water downing is much more haphazard because 2/3s of the planet is water, and oceans are deep, recovery difficult or impossible in deep waters. The sonar devices are designed to emit for up to 30 days, like in the case of HM370, the difficulty is where the hell did the plane go down? Initially they searched a large area but now from recovery of pieces hundreds of miles away they were probably searching in the wrong area. There are (PLBs) though which are called personal locator beacons and these are the type of device that an airforce pilot will use to let search and rescue forces use to locate them for extract. That device could be used as a locator and is a radio device. Those are truly cool. For about $250 you can send a signal to two systems of satellites and be located anywhere on Earth. Truly amazing technology. However in the event of a disruption of electrial power worldwide, catastrophic damage would probably be done to the satellites as well, so no dice in The Long Dark. The days of the "Hardy Boys" re wiring an analog circuit to send a signal by morse code are long long gone from technology that exists in radio today. Everything is digital as well. https://www.acrartex.com/products/catalog/personal-locator-beacons/resqlink-plb/#sthash.8IbcDtcr.dpbs
  22. Interesting side note about these type of products. They are designed to lay in a pool of burning jet fuel for up to six hours in the event of a catastrophic crash rated to sustain a high G impact such as the level of G's in a plane-mountain strike. The battery is similar to lithium ion which drives a homing beacon which will function for up to 30 days after a crash in the hopes of finding the device this sonar pulse is an audio beacon that can be heard underwater for miles. The inner shell containing the circuit boards which retail the flight and cockpit recorder data can sustain the highest impacts and data recorded on ICs and not on magnetic disks. should the circuit board be damaged these IC's can be removed and placed on another circuit board to be read this is a diagram of the device used on a commercial airliner. The above photo is from the SU-24 jet shootdown over Turkey. A really cool article on this is here. https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/how-recover-data-from-dion-bozec This is not a circuit board from inside a flight data recorder but this is an example of the type of technology that is inside. There are many of the what are called (DIP) chips, or dual inline package components. These are the same type of technology as you'd find inside a 1980/90s game console. They are digital but early era digital technology. There are also many what are called analog, as opposed to digital, components too. These DIPs are highly survivable in a crash, can be both easily removed from a damaged circuit board and re-soldered to a new circuit board. When they do a forensic reconstruction of an accident these chips can even be soldered to a fully functioning circuit board that contains all but a single DIP from the circuit board on a damaged circuit board from a crash. Here is a newer one which used digital technology and wasn't so well made. Though is says intel on the chips, that doesn't mean the product was made by intel just the individual chip.
  23. Yes moonless was what I meant. Cloudy and moonless. Even moonless nites with lots of clouds have some light. Usually reflection light from the planet surface but really dark nights where there is no light is impossible to navigate. In a fog, at night it is impossible to navigate in the dark by ambient light.
  24. This is what I see too when I play. I am hoping they turn down the rimlighting even more so it is a very dull glow if at all. On a cloudless night navigation at nite should be impossible just like in a cave, especially in the fog, without having your own light source or other light sources there is no light.