Is there a config file I can edit to extend the time it takes for footprints to fade away?

I have a lot of memory (both system and video) and really want to be able to both see animal tracks and my own for...well, forever until the next snowfall or blizzard covers them.

No, we do not provide information about our configuration files or support modding at this time. That being said, we are working on ways to improve this system. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bethany Williams said:

No, we do not provide information about our configuration files or support modding at this time. That being said, we are working on ways to improve this system. 

Thanks for the answer, Bethany.

Any idea when footprints will be configured to last longer? (next patch maybe? Pleeeeease!! ;) )

Important to note I didn't mention they'd be configured to last longer, just that the footprint/tracking system overall is something we're looking at. We haven't made any announcements beyond that =) 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Bethany Williams said:

Important to note I didn't mention they'd be configured to last longer, just that the footprint/tracking system overall is something we're looking at. We haven't made any announcements beyond that =) 

Well...I guess that's better than "it will never change." ;)
Thanks for the reply & info

IMHO, footprints fade duration should remain at the discretion of Hinterland programmers. I see it as a part of the challenge The Long Dark imposes. The only thing that should affect them should be weather conditions. Well, all of this for the core game, actually. Mods could totally allow such modifications, but i see it as cheating a bit ;)

It would be cool if they didn't disappear so quickly.  or if they didn't only appear because you've interacted with an animal.  imagine the excitement of stumbling across a stray bear track!

Note that footprint duration and styles were one of the things updated in v0.321 Tireless Menace update! It's really neat to be able to follow your own tracks around if you've gotten lost :)

• Upvote 2

I like the new foot prints, they disappear in ways that make sense, its now actually possible to track a wolf or a deer, though the rabbits are still trolling me.  :D (here are two running along a track I've never been able to snare them on - though they both run through here every day as near as I can tell).

screen_(1461, 22, 593)_004f268f-2826-4a3b-b3c6-0df37123aa42.png

Edited by Jolan
  • Upvote 1