Inventory management

Rooks_Nemesis

Although the UI has been vastly improved and tweaked I'm still holding out and hoping for more options.

Like being able to move fuel from my lantern to Jerry can ( if available ) without destroying the lantern.. or if possible the little cans of fuel to the Jerry can.

we have boxes of wood matches ranging 12 - 24. It would be awesome to combine the two 12 boxes into one box.

all of this would still keep the same weight ratios with the added difference of course, but would clean up the inventory nicely! Plus with the added bonus of not having to do the math of all remaining resources and wasting valuable time ( and warmth )

I've also suggested this alot earlier in development and have seen it posted since then.

A craftable only arrow quiver and corresponding UI tab. Sure the argument could be made to only carry 2-4 arrows.. But when your stuck in the middle of no where and surrounded by a pack of wolves.. 2-4 arrows does not suffice! Arrows go into the quiver tab, broken arrows go into the tool tab like usual.

again thats to stop the clutter and allow You to check your things on the fly Much quicker..

dors not even have to Be a crafting recipe.. Could Just get it on loading the arrows into your inventory.

another hope of mine is finding little tin boxes. Kind of like the old smoke tins. Which could be loaded up with matches etc. Up to a certain point. This could also help with "clutter" control.

If these ideas are far from useable I'd understand. Someone out there let me know tho lol

How about space? Because honestly I would not be able to carry 5 rifles on me IRL. Not to mention the fact that I CAN NOT fit a hunting rifle into a filing cabinet drawer just because it weighs less than the drawers capacity. Really? That makes NO sense.

5 hours ago, Rooks_Nemesis said:

A craftable only arrow quiver and corresponding UI tab

On my wishlist :)

another hope of mine is finding little tin boxes.

I was hoping to see one day something like this in game that would extend the life of matches.

Like being able to move fuel from my lantern to Jerry can ( if available ) without destroying the lantern.. or if possible the little cans of fuel to the Jerry can.

we have boxes of wood matches ranging 12 - 24. It would be awesome to combine the two 12 boxes into one box.

Problem being is the different lifespans of the items not corresponding to each other:

screen_b5f05cdd-716f-4aa7-9c03-58e82fc55a7e.png

19 hours ago, illanthropist said:

Problem being is the different lifespans of the items not corresponding to each other:

Oh that's simple, just average the condition on both in proportion to their amounts. So in your picture you have:

.39kg @ 26%

.16kg @ 54%

.45kg @ 54%

.35kg @ 87%

If you combine the first two together, you would get .39 + .16 = .55kg

For the condition, I believe the math is (.39*.26) + (.16*.33)/.55, which = .28, so you would get .55kg @ 28% 

If we merged that with the .45kg @ 54%, then we go:

(.45*.54) + (.55*.28) / 1 = .3972, or 1 kg of fuel at 40% condition.

It comes with something of an in-built penalty because now the whole lot will deteriorate away faster than it otherwise would have. The most efficient way to use it would be to use up the bad fuel first, letting the good fuel decay a little until you need it. But that's the price you pay for decluttering your inventory!

39 minutes ago, LucidFugue said:

It comes with something of an in-built penalty because now the whole lot will deteriorate away faster than it otherwise would have. The most efficient way to use it would be to use up the bad fuel first, letting the good fuel decay a little until you need it. But that's the price you pay for decluttering your inventory!

If you look at it a different way tho like

its not the fuel itself that's decaying its the container its in, all the averaging out wouldn't be needed.

but like everything else in this game it would come down to balance. So sure I can carry a couple of smaller lantern fuels with me at a very low cost to weight. Or I could consolidate all my fuel into the Jerry can at a bigger hit to my over all pack which is a given. But that also touches on another big thing in TLD that I love, choices and consequences :)

While pouring the fuel from one to another there could also be "spillage" at no set amount, kind of along the lines of opening a can without a can opener. Everytime you crush the can open you lose a portion of the vital insides. Gamble with it? or leave it?

All of that is ok when you apply that to fuel, but for the matches etc another approach would be needed because that in fact is the matches degrading.. So if you did combine them together or into the little to box instead of all of them degrading and being ruined at once ( kind of silly ) you could just lose certain matches at a time.

with the matches if you looked at the % like

at 100% all 24 matches have a perfect strike chance

at 50% all 24 matches have a 50/50 chance to light

etc

again the averaging out of both containers would be solved as well as keeping the balance intact.

I dont quite understand why matchboxes can hold only 24 matches. Unless Canada have different match standards. In Europe one box can hold around 50 matches.

And while matches could degrade, they are such a simple item that either ignite or they wont. Plus, if player takes even a little bit care of his match supply, there shouldnt be any problem with degradation. Even if they get wet, all it takes to dry them up a bit, unless they went on an extended swim and heads lost majority of its composition. Ive had usable matches after they went thru a washing machine, after i forgot them in a pocket, more than once.

Combining fuel also should be a thing. There is absolutely no point of having several small containers each having a bit of kerosene in it.

14 hours ago, LucidFugue said:

Oh that's simple, just average the condition on both in proportion to their amounts. So in your picture you have:

.39kg @ 26%

.16kg @ 54%

.45kg @ 54%

.35kg @ 87%

If you combine the first two together, you would get .39 + .16 = .55kg

For the condition, I believe the math is (.39*.26) + (.16*.33)/.55, which = .28, so you would get .55kg @ 28% 

If we merged that with the .45kg @ 54%, then we go:

(.45*.54) + (.55*.28) / 1 = .3972, or 1 kg of fuel at 40% condition.

It comes with something of an in-built penalty because now the whole lot will deteriorate away faster than it otherwise would have. The most efficient way to use it would be to use up the bad fuel first, letting the good fuel decay a little until you need it. But that's the price you pay for decluttering your inventory!

So here's a hypothetical situation: you have two boxes of 12 matches. The game combines them into 1 box of 24 matches. It shows the condition as 50%. It will be a long time before those matches degrade to 0, right? The next day, you look in your inventory and now you have only 12 matches and the condition is shown as 98%. WHAT? Well, what you didn't know is that 12 matches had a condition of 1% and the other 12 were at 99%. During the night, the condition dropped 1%, destroying the 12 matches at 1%...

of course, this is a very exaggerated example, but it clearly shows the problem of combining items that degrade over time and showing their average condition. A much better way would be to show the condition as min-max% (1-99% in the example above). This tells you if part of the stack is about to disappear. And there should also be a mechanism to get more detailed information on the condition of the separate items. Maybe this could be done by selecting the stack and displaying the detailed condition in the item info.

For items that don't degrade, this really shouldn't be a problem. Like those jerrycans and bottles of fuel. They don't degrade over time and don't degrade on use. So give them all a 100% condition and be done with it. Personally I don't mind these items shown as separate items though, you never carry 20 bottles of fuel. You only carry a few and stacking them doesn't make sense to me, like small items like matches do.

I would like to have the ability to pour the contents of one container into another. Like pouring all those small bottles into a jerrycan and pouring the last .1L of kerosene in a jerrycan into another jerrycan or a small fuel bottle. I especially would like to be able to refill those small bottles because then I can carry 1 full small bottle to replenish my lantern instead of carrying a large heavy jerrycan. For this reason, I also don't want the bottles to disappear when they're empty. I want to refill it from a jerrycan!

6 hours ago, elloco999 said:

So here's a hypothetical situation: you have two boxes of 12 matches. The game combines them into 1 box of 24 matches. It shows the condition as 50%. It will be a long time before those matches degrade to 0, right? The next day, you look in your inventory and now you have only 12 matches and the condition is shown as 98%. WHAT? Well, what you didn't know is that 12 matches had a condition of 1% and the other 12 were at 99%. During the night, the condition dropped 1%, destroying the 12 matches at 1%...

of course, this is a very exaggerated example, but it clearly shows the problem of combining items that degrade over time and showing their average condition. 

You misunderstand my intention - you would not average their condition just for display purposes, but for degrade calculations. So your hypothetical wouldn't happen, because once the stack is combined, the game no longer recognises that any matches in the stack previously had different condition levels. Your 98% matches and your 1% matches are all now 50% matches. 

While I find the clutter a little annoying, I'm actually okay with it. 

I use those duplicate items that are most degraded first. Kind of like drinking the milk that is about to expire first and moving the fresher milk to the back of the fridge. 

What I would like is better keyboard controls of the inventory and crafting menus. I find it more irritating to have to switch from keyboard to mouse to navigate the menu. Can't I use arrow keys to switch between my backpack and the open container? What about the Return/Enter button instead of clicking the mouse to activate/use the highlighted item? Or Tab to exit the menu? Having full keyboard control of the menu options would negate the menu clutter for me, as I would be able to navigate more quickly through the menus. That becomes an issue because time doesn't stop while you are in the menu, as it does in so many other games.

12 hours ago, HauptmannVonKartoffelLand said:

Make the rifle more accurate...i think is just to me but I was aiming at a mooving wolf,wich was walking at ~10 meters under me -i was on a bridge btw- and I missed him.i've only killed him when i shot him from point blank range,when he Was facing my direction.DO THIS PLEASE!!

I concur heartily! Make it shoot out to 200 meters at least! And give it ballistics and accuracy!

17 hours ago, LucidFugue said:

You misunderstand my intention - you would not average their condition just for display purposes, but for degrade calculations. So your hypothetical wouldn't happen, because once the stack is combined, the game no longer recognises that any matches in the stack previously had different condition levels. Your 98% matches and your 1% matches are all now 50% matches. 

That's actually even worse... Now I'm carrying 12 matches at 1% and I find 12 more matches at 99% and all of a sudden I have 24 matches at 50%. Great, my 1% matches will last longer, but my new found 99% matches will last half as long as they would have. Since I hardly use matches once I have the magnifying glass, I'd much rather have 12 matches at 98% than 24 matches at 49%.

Also it makes no sense to me that the matches that were about to deteriorate to nothingness are all of a sudden back at 50%.

I'm not against making the interface less cluttered, but I do think that each item having it's own condition (for items that degrade) is something that should stay. So if the devs can find a way to do that, I'm all for it.

15 hours ago, HauptmannVonKartoffelLand said:

Make the rifle more accurate...i think is just to me but I was aiming at a mooving wolf,wich was walking at ~10 meters under me -i was on a bridge btw- and I missed him.i've only killed him when i shot him from point blank range,when he Was facing my direction.DO THIS PLEASE!!

I do believe this thread was about inventory management. Throwing in a complaint about the rifle not being accurate is both very off topic and not very considerate to the OP. Next time, please start a new thread.

1 hour ago, EternityTide said:

What I find amusing is that Kerosene spends a few hundred million years under layers of rock and sediment, and then as soon as it pops out into a Jerry can in the long dark universe, it degrades in a few weeks.

I have never notices kerosene degrade (or the bottles/ jerrycans it's in for that matter).

I guess in reality, kerosene would evaporate if the container it's in is not air tight...

I think gasoline degrades with time due to all the additives and the various liquids that are dissolved in the solvents. Kerosene doesn't degrade much nor does naptha. Naptha is fairly pure compared to gasoline. They could take away condition loss for kerosene and it would not bother me at all. I never worry about kerosene degradation; it's handy for certain jobs like harvesting crates in the dark and searching caves and mines. Torches make a tolerable substitute. Does loss of lantern fuel become a problem for those who have played the long game?

having no fuel left in the late game can be an absolute pain when trying to transition from one map to another depending on the route. I'm just glad that caves/mines once entered don't have much of a draft/wind to blow out my torch.

but yes. I at least feel the loss of no more fuel. Theres times when a torch either does not cut it or just wont light.. Not to mention having to use up another match to light the torch..

every resource lost in the late game impacts every choice you make.

And thanks Bethany for taking notice :)

and elloco999 for getting this back on track!

theres loads of different ways this could be handled, I'm positive tho that if the container transferring/stacking was in fact implemented the devs would have the degradation figured out and well done!

here's to hoping!

Archived