A Thought... (Thread carried over from Steam)

Mycroft Canada NS

Hi.

I know in this day, and age of Survival Games we tend to always think that we must have Zombie, Enormous Critters to contend with to give the game a reason for exsiting.

Long Dark comes along, and offers up a solid reason for surviving but has added in the element of defending oneselves, and our next potential meal from animals fighting for every srcap of food which is realistic.

Now what isn't realistic is the way people percieve all animals to be in the wild which now brings me to asking the developers a small question, and that is....

Q: Will there be a chance of gaining the trust of an animal which will eventually allow you have him as an equal (companion)?

What I mean is, if I come across a lone wolf, or mountain lion (I don't think this particular animal is in the game, and anyone familiar with Cats know that they can be very unpredictable), simply by how I approach the animal will make the difference on how he percieves me.

For instance, I approach the lone animal in a kneeling position with my hand extended, approach slowly, and place a piece of uncooked meat on the ground, then back off wouldn't that show the animal I am willing to be approached?

This is how it is done in the wild in real life or in part. Of course it wouldn't be the one time, you may see him or her keep their distance for awhile but tend to be seen more often as you move from one location to another.

Especially in the wild a lone wolf is normally more cautious, and will not attack outright unless threatened (approach him in aggressive manner), and in most cases will simply run away.

Now in a pack, the Alpha dictates the packs conduct, and it's demeanor, meaning they are more confident, and most likely will attack if they happen to see you as a corn dog on a stick.

Anyway, just thinking while I was walking my dog.

For instance, I approach the lone animal in a kneeling position with my hand extended, approach slowly, and place a piece of uncooked meat on the ground, then back off wouldn't that show the animal I am willing to be approached?

Sure, a grizzly will approach you, and tear your face off.

You're assuming too much logic for instinct driven creatures. Animals typically have 2 reactions. Fight or flight. Very few, unless painstakingly domesticated, will venture beyond fight or flight. It's basic survival instinct.

Sure, a grizzly will approach you, and tear your face off.

You're assuming too much logic for instinct driven creatures. Animals typically have 2 reactions. Fight or flight. Very few, unless painstakingly domesticated, will venture beyond fight or flight. It's basic survival instinct.

This. Some wild critters do get habituated to humans pretty easily. My workplace has some foxes that like to hang around at lunch time during the summer. They'll come quite close if they think you're going to toss them some scraps, but they are only interested in food; trying to pet them is a really really really bad idea unless you enjoy rabies shots.

And don't get me started on wolves; I hear them from time to time while out hunting. Never been able to sneak within visual range though.

Habituated coyotes can get very aggressive:

[bBvideo 560,340:157m2ofm]

[/bBvideo]

And let's not forget what happened to Timothy Treadwell.

Basically, everything that Disney teaches kids about nature is a damnable lie.

Hi.

Beautiful animal, and you are right far to dangerous to even take a chance. I agree Walt Disney has really made children think that all wild animals are warm, and cuddly.

Question: Is that you making the video?

Nope, that's not me. Saw it on canadiangunnutz.com a few years ago. Stuck with me for a number of reasons; how aggressive the yote was, and how beautiful.

Animals typically have 2 reactions. Fight or flight.

Many animals (humans, for example) also have a freeze reaction.

Andruin

True, typically a precursor to the above-mentioned.

lol. This is true, sadly.

There is definitely something to be said though for people (read humans) being (abnormally?) scared, even hysterical when confronted by an animal. Takes a bit of training as well to learn about when standing your ground or posturing is a good idea and then forcing yourself to do it when your brain is telling you your nuts and soon to be a scooby snack. I don't know that this could ever make it into the game, or how it would, but handling yourself around critters that can and are maybe even a bit inclined to make you into a meal is an acquired skill.

Archived