food preparation / preservation

Tbone555

these topics may have been brought up before. but, interesting idea when eating my last bit of peanut butter and salty crackers earlier.

how about food preparation? for instance, you can combine crackers and peanut butter to make a serving of peanut butter crackers. or cut up a kg of venison and throw in the bits in some hot tomato soup. or maybe you wanna toss a bit of canned milk and sugar in your tea or coffee. you get the idea

and food preservation aswell. before there were fridges, meat was preserved with large amounts of salt. or maybe let us pack a drink cooler or small freezer in our shelter full of snow and put our meat in it, reducing degradation rate.

just a couple small ideas that i think would generally make the game better :P

oh and also, i came across this interesting idea not too far back, thought it was pretty smart.

in colder climates where it stays frozen all year round, (such as the setting of this game,) you could cut a hole through the back of your fridge and the outer wall of your home, and run a PVC or metal pipe through the wall into the fridge. and voila. working fridge. however, this may drop the temperature in your home a degree or two

19 minutes ago, Tbone555 said:

oh and also, i came across this interesting idea not too far back, thought it was pretty smart.

in colder climates where it stays frozen all year round, (such as the setting of this game,) you could cut a hole through the back of your fridge and the outer wall of your home, and run a PVC or metal pipe through the wall into the fridge. and voila. working fridge. however, this may drop the temperature in your home a degree or two

You are on to something here. I like this feature, let's build natural fridges and the penalty would be reducing the temp of the shelter off course you would not care about that when you have full clothing but at the beginning when every degree counts you will not be so enthusiastic to build a fridge. This feature would go very well with an update about patching houses, which was discussed in great length in other topics people want to build beds, plug up holes  build crates ect. Yea +1 from me for natural fridges.

2 hours ago, vancopower said:

You are on to something here. I like this feature, let's build natural fridges and the penalty would be reducing the temp of the shelter off course you would not care about that when you have full clothing but at the beginning when every degree counts you will not be so enthusiastic to build a fridge. This feature would go very well with an update about patching houses, which was discussed in great length in other topics people want to build beds, plug up holes  build crates ect. Yea +1 from me for natural fridges.

and how about my original topic? in favor of that aswell? :)

Although I like the idea of food preparation, I think it will be a lot of work to implement all the different possible combinations. Does this feature add enough to the game to warrant such a large investment?

Food preservation does have a real impact on your ability to survive. I would much rather see this implemented. There are numerous ways you could preserve food, like:

• Using salt
  • Smoking
  • Making jerky
  • Storing food outside in the freezing cold

In stead of trying to make a hole in the outside wall of my cabin and trying to rig that to my freezer, I would simply place a metal box (or more than one if needed) outside and use that as a freezer. Or use the containers in a fishing cabin. I do think the idea of making a hole in the wall and the freezer to cool the inside of the freezer is a very creative idea :D

I think it doesn't make sense to have an indoor cold room. In olden days we had root cellars that kept the preserves cool and tubers like carrots and potatoes from freezing over the winter. For outdoors, you would need to make something like a meat cache; either tall poles to support meat hung up high or an underground log reinforced storage cache. A lot of caches are built of logs like a small house on top of poles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_cache

Bear_Cache.jpg

Sorry but I can't find anything suitable for underground bear caches. I know Glenn Villeneuve from Life Below Zero had such a cache.

i knew from the first post that food preparation wouldn't be such a hot topic. It is entirely unnecessary, and it can always be assumed with role play even if the mechanic isnt there.

however, food preservation is a necessity with any large amount of food. I suggested the natural fridge idea just because I love the idea of having a working fridge :P but there would also be other ways of preservation aswell, that idea would be optional for those who don't prefer it.

On March 7, 2016 at 8:06 AM, SteveP said:

I think it doesn't make sense to have an indoor cold room. In olden days we had root cellars that kept the preserves cool and tubers like carrots and potatoes from freezing over the winter. For outdoors, you would need to make something like a meat cache; either tall poles to support meat hung up high or an underground log reinforced storage cache. A lot of caches are built of logs like a small house on top of poles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_cache

Bear_Cache.jpg

Sorry but I can't find anything suitable for underground bear caches. I know Glenn Villeneuve from Life Below Zero had such a cache.

I do like this idea, and the presence of these kinds of caches would very well make sense in places like pleasant valley and mystery lake. In other maps as coastal highway and desolation point, any populated town with fridges and freezers in every house, there would be few if any.

Archived