Cookable Foods: Soups and Stews

cekivi

A way to get more nutrition out of natural foods is to make a soup or stew. Cooking like we've been doing is grilling. The downside of grilling is that a lot of fat and nutrients is lost as drippings on the fire. If we were making soup that wouldn't be the case. Soups and stews would also allow for different types of edible foods in the game like rice, pasta, barley, or split peas. All are very nutritious and could be found in inhabited areas but cannot be eaten raw. Adding these to your stew pot would increase the calories of the final meal adding more depth to the cooking mechanic. This also gives players more choices for what they can do with the items they harvest.

The drawbacks of soups and stews is that they should degrade quicker than grilled meats, require a lot of clean water, take a long time (1-2 hours) and maybe there should be a limit on how much a player can have? Infinitely spawning bottles is OK but it may be a little immersion breaking if I can have infinitely spawning Tupperware containers :silly:

51 minutes ago, cekivi said:

A way to get more nutrition out of natural foods is to make a soup or stew. Cooking like we've been doing is grilling. The downside of grilling is that a lot of fat and nutrients is lost as drippings on the fire. If we were making soup that wouldn't be the case. Soups and stews wou

1 hour ago, cekivi said:

The drawbacks of soups and stews is that they should degrade quicker than grilled meats, require a lot of clean water, take a long time (1-2 hours) and maybe there should be a limit on how much a player can have? Infinitely spawning bottles is OK but it may be a little immersion breaking if I can have infinitely spawning Tupperware containers :silly:

Not a generally bad idea, the cooking mechanic could be worked on a little.

In terms of containers for stew I could imagine that you'd simply have to craft/carve yourself a bowl out wood logs. If we are talking about general storage of such stuff I wouldn't even allow storage of stews. Otherwise one might just wonder why one can't fill the (cold)stew into those infinitely spawning water bottles.

3 hours ago, AverageGatsby said:

Not a generally bad idea, the cooking mechanic could be worked on a little.

In terms of containers for stew I could imagine that you'd simply have to craft/carve yourself a bowl out wood logs. If we are talking about general storage of such stuff I wouldn't even allow storage of stews. Otherwise one might just wonder why one can't fill the (cold)stew into those infinitely spawning water bottles.

Good point about the storage :)

Still, a high calorie food, even if you can't store it, would be interesting to make. There's more than enough metal pots and things laying around though that I won't worry about needing to craft specific bowls. 

Archived