New Drink and More Medical Conditions!

KittehTehBeastYT

I would suggest the adding of a new drink!

Idea: Weasel's Whiskey

Effect: Tipsiness; this effect makes your character almost uncontrollable. Your controls are reversed, and you cannot create fires, search etc.

Other Idea: Random Medical Conditions upon spawning in a world. eg. Diabetes. Effect: Requires eating/drinking sugary items such as soda.

Third Idea: Sugar Value. This idea contains sugar value on every item of food/drink. (See previous idea) If you have the Diabetes medical condition, this tells you how much sugar something has.

Fourth Idea: Skills. This adds skills, which allow you to do different things. eg. Scavenging, Crafting.

Fifth and Final Idea... for now: More Wildlife. This game is missing wildlife! Please add moose, Varieties of different huntable birds, and other animals you would find in Canada's snowy wild!

5 hours ago, KittehTehBeastYT said:

Effect: Tipsiness; this effect makes your character almost uncontrollable. Your controls are reversed, and you cannot create fires, search etc.

Other Idea: Random Medical Conditions upon spawning in a world. eg. Diabetes. Effect: Requires eating/drinking sugary items such as soda.

Third Idea: Sugar Value. This idea contains sugar value on every item of food/drink. (See previous idea) If you have the Diabetes medical condition, this tells you how much sugar something has.

Fourth Idea: Skills. This adds skills, which allow you to do different things. eg. Scavenging, Crafting.

Fifth and Final Idea... for now: More Wildlife. This game is missing wildlife! Please add moose, Varieties of different huntable birds, and other animals you would find in Canada's snowy wild!

The alcohol was the first thing to go after the apocalypse. Many people died from substance abuse because they could not face their dire situation and took the coward's way out. There is none left.

I could foresee many players abusing alcohol just for fun. If you had alcohol in the game, I would think the result should be you immediately die because you wandered out into the long dark night. End of story and end of object lesson.

Many games have an expansive skill tree. Meh.

Wildlife +1 esp cougar and moose which are a real hazard but a potential bonus. What good things could you do with a cougar carcass? Or a beaver or a porcupine? (See thread on those animals in the Wishlist)

Here's how to utilize the forum to indicate support for a particular animal. Go to the wishlist forum and do a search of the forum for your animal and then add your comments and analysis to the best thread on that topic. Many animals are named in the title so use title search first.

7 hours ago, SteveP said:

The alcohol was the first thing to go after the apocalypse. Many people died from substance abuse because they could not face their dire situation and took the coward's way out. There is none left.

I could foresee many players abusing alcohol just for fun. If you had alcohol in the game, I would think the result should be you immediately die because you wandered out into the long dark night. End of story and end of object lesson.

That presuming that people are aware that its "apocalypse". Current situation is more like "wth is going on". I seriously doubt that average person would just drop everything, raid liquor store and drink himself to death, all in the same evening. Absolute majority would just stay put and try to wait out whatever is going on, or go out and try to figure out what is going on, depending on various factors, like amount of supplies available.

Far more probable "way out" would be gun in ones mouth, or noose.

6 hours ago, Dirmagnos said:

That presuming that people are aware that its "apocalypse". Current situation is more like "wth is going on". I seriously doubt that average person would just drop everything, raid liquor store and drink himself to death, all in the same evening. Absolute majority would just stay put and try to wait out whatever is going on, or go out and try to figure out what is going on, depending on various factors, like amount of supplies available.

Far more probable "way out" would be gun in ones mouth, or noose.

I'm just suggesting a rationalization for why it wouldn't be found. This is a game even children can play so that's my thinking why I think alcohol should not be in the game. It's a cultural value or bias of mine I suppose. o.O I'm not saying it's suicide necessarily, just excess drinking/drug use that leads to wandering about outside and hypothermia. Most people have already died as evidenced by the corpses and lack of people to be found in the houses. I expect Story mode will elaborate more on what happened to the locals. The breakdown of transportation infrastructure would mean no food distribution however there seems to be plenty of food left lying about everywhere so did they die of starvation? Perhaps the wolves got them.

Alcohol use is a cultural thing too; perhaps more American than Canadian. OTOH there should be something called Newfie screech to be found in a place called Hibernia. ;)

In Duke Nukem there is drinking. I guess I just have a vision of kids on YouTube making videos or watching videos that normalize substance abuse. Imagine the uproar if you had pot smoking in a video game. Something like 20-50% of adults and youth indulge in recreational THC within North America; we have epidemic use of meth, acid (LSD), smack (heroin), gasoline huffing and so forth among youth who live in ghettos and the far North. I don't think we should add that either. It's just too politically sensitive. I struggle with tobacco addiction myself. :S Firewatch has teen alcohol abuse and swearing and mild "adult" situations.

Let me tell you a  story about life in Germany after the war. There were really bad food shortages and people would go to farmers begging for food. The farmers would chase them off but a trick to get revenge was to mix vodka with grain and feed that to the farmer's chickens. Then the chickens just sat down and wouldn't make any noise and could be easily picked up without creating a fuss. Those were grim times.

20 hours ago, KittehTehBeastYT said:

Fifth and Final Idea... for now: More Wildlife. This game is missing wildlife! Please add moose, Varieties of different hunt able birds, and other animals you would find in Canada's snowy wild!

Having diabetes, means you need insulin shots not sugar. Sugar might help if you have low blood pressure, get your facts straight. Also alcohol is not only for drinking, in a global crisis Alcohol can have many uses like treating small cuts and wounds but not deep open wounds, also could be used to mix it with expired medicine then dry it up to filter impurities that have occurred with time thus make the old medications usable again. Alcohol could be used to reduce fever or more correctly the high temperature on a person who has fever and finally if you are that desperate you can drink yourself to death :)  Other skills: crafting , scavenging hmm I would say fishing is most important and definitely should be in the game to influence the chance to break the line as for scavenging well I suppose that you could find better equipment, but not so important because there is a lot equipment anyway crafting hmm that's tricky one it could decrease the time  needed to craft items which is not important too because some days you have lots of time during blizzards for example, however if it decreases the number of materials used to craft then it could be useful.

More wildlife well that is true, we do need more wild life maybe foxes to make hats out of their fur, wildcats which will fight with wolves for deer carcasses that would be fun to watch nature in action.   

16 hours ago, SteveP said:

I'm just suggesting a rationalization for why it wouldn't be found. This is a game even children can play so that's my thinking why I think alcohol should not be in the game. It's a cultural value or bias of mine I suppose. o.O I'm not saying it's suicide necessarily, just excess drinking/drug use that leads to wandering about outside and hypothermia. Most people have already died as evidenced by the corpses and lack of people to be found in the houses. I expect Story mode will elaborate more on what happened to the locals. The breakdown of transportation infrastructure would mean no food distribution however there seems to be plenty of food left lying about everywhere so did they die of starvation? Perhaps the wolves got them.

Alcohol use is a cultural thing too; perhaps more American than Canadian. OTOH there should be something called Newfie screech to be found in a place called Hibernia. ;)

In Duke Nukem there is drinking. I guess I just have a vision of kids on YouTube making videos or watching videos that normalize substance abuse. Imagine the uproar if you had pot smoking in a video game. Something like 20-50% of adults and youth indulge in recreational THC within North America; we have epidemic use of meth, acid (LSD), smack (heroin), gasoline huffing and so forth among youth who live in ghettos and the far North. I don't think we should add that either. It's just too politically sensitive. I struggle with tobacco addiction myself. :S Firewatch has teen alcohol abuse and swearing and mild "adult" situations.

Let me tell you a  story about life in Germany after the war. There were really bad food shortages and people would go to farmers begging for food. The farmers would chase them off but a trick to get revenge was to mix vodka with grain and feed that to the farmer's chickens. Then the chickens just sat down and wouldn't make any noise and could be easily picked up without creating a fuss. Those were grim times.

True, children may play this game, but alcohol is pretty much on the same level as finding corpses, fighting animals, gutting them or dying from various conditions. A lot depends on how its implemented, not what is implemented.

And improper/excessive use of several substances in the game should lead to an extremely "unpleasant" results. We have painkillers in the game, yet i dont see any1 complaining about overdose possibility(just pop one more for the road so that world wouldnt feel that bleak). Overuse of antibiotics could also yield rather dangerous results.

Breakdown of infrastructure is irrelevant, since Event just happened. Its the middle of the winter, so there arent that many people around to begin with.

Problem with substance abuse(or violence or whatever) is not movies or games, all that is merely an attempt to roll over blame on some1 else, while society itself is responsible. Its general "not giving a frak" attitude from parents, schools, universities, local and federal government, etc. Its a question of education and social norms, not games or videos. All that nonsense with ratings and bans is just that, nonsense. If a 13y old wannt to play game rated for mature audience, he will play it, and it wont affect his view of the world even a little bit, since he dives into that game knowing all 2 well that its a game, a fantasy.

And being politically correct is the worse thing that game can do. General rule of the thumb, is the more game tries to be "right", the less its worth playing. Be it alcohol, drugs, food, politics or sex(both as intercourse or gender) nonsense. Witcher 3 is an excellent example, when collection of all "wrong" stuff didnt stop game from being of superior quality, especially compared to a huge hoard of different so-called AAA garbage released last year. Proper game is an art, that defies definition of right or wrong, while most big developers/publishers(like EA or Ubisoft) are doing what i call "burger flipping"(because its mechanical, with minimal imagination, cloning already exiting designs), creating expensive, politically correct, tasteless, generic, casual and pretty garbage and then complain how hard it is to make game, and make profit - garbage is garbage, no matter what graphical engine you stick it into.

Off-Limit Topics/Replies

Religious, political, and other “prone to huge arguments” threads

I can't respond to a political correctness debate. The theme of TLD is survival in the Canadian North. In the interests of compromise, perhaps alcohol could be used in the context of "snake-bite" medicine or as a disinfectant or accelerant. As a down-time filler activity, it's not something I'd make use of in a game. I suppose it could be used as a preservative for some types of food but in this season of the game, we don't have any food resources like that.

We're derailing the original topic here. He had 5 points. The first was about inebriation. He was talking about risky activities and medical conditions like diabetes. An insulin dependent diabetic would be in serious trouble. Someone with high blood sugars could probably survive fairly well because of the huge calorie demands of outdoor survival and a high protein/fat diet. I think we should stick to medical conditions that arise because of diet and isolation. Scurvy would be a concern so consuming pine or spruce needle tea would cure that.

For scurvy to occur one would need to go for at least a month without any vitamin C intake. And those would be just early mild symptoms.

With abundance of canned peaches/tomatoes early on it wouldnt be a problem for first few months. Then we got rose hips that are literally loaded with vitamin C.

Altho various conditions, as secondary motivator to vary player diet, could be nice addition.

Archived