throwing stones and pebbles

SteveP

As a way of discouraging wolves or other wild life, what do you think of having the ability to throw pebbles or stones at the wolves? You wouldn't really hurt them but if you throw three or four stones or pebbles, it could be enough to tips the scales in the wolf AI for it to decide to call it a day. Throw pebbles at the bear and you might get a nasty surprise such as provoking an attack or maybe just get him up on his hind legs and you have seconds to move back out of attack range or risk a charge. Only fire is going to halt the charge I expect. Circling by predators is another possible behaviour so what would the defence response be? Move around to keep the fire between you and predator or even start a second fire if you can.

I started a game called Fenrir (the wolf from norse mythology) and I lasted for a day in coastal highway, when I was exiting the fishing hut a wolf charged me I quickly lighted up a torch throwing it on the ground and I thought that I saved myself when I heard another wolf charging from the back, I did the same again stopped the wolf  and lit up a third torch. Now there was nowhere to go a wolf in front one at back, my only option was to scare one away so I did that with the torch in hand scared the wolf in front of me but the torch in the back was depleted fast it had about 20% or maybe 10% and I got charged from the back, after the struggle the wolf that I scared away found me since it was night and I was dizzy from low condition I never saw it coming and it finished me. I wish I recorded that game it would have been a hit on youtube. Anyway from that time on I support any idea to scare wolves away :) so +1

9 hours ago, vancopower said:

I started a game called Fenrir (the wolf from norse mythology) and I lasted for a day in coastal highway, when I was exiting the fishing hut a wolf charged me I quickly lighted up a torch throwing it on the ground and I thought that I saved myself when I heard another wolf charging from the back, I did the same again stopped the wolf  and lit up a third torch. Now there was nowhere to go a wolf in front one at back, my only option was to scare one away so I did that with the torch in hand scared the wolf in front of me but the torch in the back was depleted fast it had about 20% or maybe 10% and I got charged from the back, after the struggle the wolf that I scared away found me since it was night and I was dizzy from low condition I never saw it coming and it finished me. I wish I recorded that game it would have been a hit on youtube. Anyway from that time on I support any idea to scare wolves away :) so +1

Interesting. I wonder if the scent of raw fish or raw meat had drawn them in? Was it Stalker mode? It's best to begin in Pilgrim to get a feel for things, then move up to Voyageur. I'm not certain if wolf behavior alters between Stalker and Voyageur but it's likely.

I think pebbles to scare off wolves would only be necessary if Hinterland changed the wolf AI to make it tougher for folks who think it's too easy.

I usually cook all fish while in the fishing hut because that reduces weight without sacrificing calories but it's possible that multiple wolves were attracted by raw fish. Each wolf seems to have its own patrol area with several stationed all around the Quonset hut.

In my experience, if you have a lit torch, as long as you don't move toward a wolf which has stopped at its attack radius because of a torch, it won't attack (in Voyageur) I would say learning the wolf patrol areas are vital during the early game. It's fine to die during the learning process before you have accumulated a lot of stuff. It can be frustrating. You can always get tips here on the forum or by watching Youtube such as Dances with Wolves by GELtaz or my own game tips (see Video links in the video section) I have a warning also that I have spoilers on my videos.

[spoil] My own technique is to carry a lit torch while passing through a wolf zone and then to move around them and stick to wolf free zones as much as possible. An arrow can be used several times to shoot near a wolf to get it to flee with very little degradation of the arrow. If you shoot the wolf you have the problems of 1) loss of arrow condition 2) harvesting it with other wolves around so you would need sufficient wood to make a fire of about an hour or so for harvesting. It's also vital to find a ranged weapon such as bow and arrow or rifle and ammo ASAP as well as tools for harvesting such as knife or hatchet for harvesting of frozen carcasses. [/spoil]

16 hours ago, SteveP said:

Interesting. I wonder if the scent of raw fish or raw meat had drawn them in? Was it Stalker mode? It's best to begin in Pilgrim to get a feel for things, then move up to Voyageur. I'm not certain if wolf behavior alters between Stalker and Voyageur but it's likely.

I think pebbles to scare off wolves would only be necessary if Hinterland changed the wolf AI to make it tougher for folks who think it's too easy.

I usually cook all fish while in the fishing hut because that reduces weight without sacrificing calories but it's possible that multiple wolves were attracted by raw fish. Each wolf seems to have its own patrol area with several stationed all around the Quonset hut.

In my experience, if you have a lit torch, as long as you don't move toward a wolf which has stopped at its attack radius because of a torch, it won't attack (in Voyageur) I would say learning the wolf patrol areas are vital during the early game. It's fine to die during the learning process before you have accumulated a lot of stuff. It can be frustrating. You can always get tips here on the forum or by watching Youtube such as Dances with Wolves by GELtaz or my own game tips (see Video links in the video section) I have a warning also that I have spoilers on my videos.

[spoil] My own technique is to carry a lit torch while passing through a wolf zone and then to move around them and stick to wolf free zones as much as possible. An arrow can be used several times to shoot near a wolf to get it to flee with very little degradation of the arrow. If you shoot the wolf you have the problems of 1) loss of arrow condition 2) harvesting it with other wolves around so you would need sufficient wood to make a fire of about an hour or so for harvesting. It's also vital to find a ranged weapon such as bow and arrow or rifle and ammo ASAP as well as tools for harvesting such as knife or hatchet for harvesting of frozen carcasses. [/spoil]

Yes I always play Stalker mode, it is the way it should be for me hardcore survival. I find too much stuff on voyager so looting becomes pointless. Yes I know how to stop a wolf but 2 of them from each side I guess if you are prepared having 3-4 torches, could do the job but I was surprised there is usually one wolf there also I was carrying cooked meat not fish I resort to fishing only when I am desperate for food which almost never happens, that's why I would like some new mechanics like farming to be introduced which would make fish more useful turning them in to fertilizer, but I noted that in another post there's no reason to continue this topic here.   

If you are going to try throwing stones, why don't you take the extra 5 minutes and make a proper sling? You can make a sling from two shoelaces and an old boot-tongue.

Contrary to popular opinion, slings are very lethal. A "ping-pong-sized" stone has the same impact power as a pistol bullet, and a fist-sized stone is even more powerful. With the exception of the bears, every animal in the game would be killed by a slung-stone to the head (with a bit of luck, of course).

The only issue with the sling is the fact that they are "more difficult" to use than bows. The difference between the two is that bows require a great deal of strength to use (physical difficulty), while slings require actual experience (mental difficulty). Basically, you release the sling when the rock is tangential to the target. It takes some time before you learn when that is. However, I have made slings before, and it only took me about a week to be able to hit a human-sized target 9/10 times, from 30 paces away. I keep a sling in my survival kit at all times. Lightweight, small, no reason not to carry it.

Oh, and you don't spin the sling around your head like a dervish. That is how you miss. One rotation, done slowly, is enough. The slung-stone gets its speed and power due to the increased length of the "throwing arm", not by whipping it around your head. There are many different methods to using a sling. I prefer the "sidearm" method, like throwing a baseball, as I find it the most accurate, but you could also use an "overarm" or "underarm" method, as well.

I consider slings to be part of the "Big Three" of survival weapons, the other two are Spears and Clubs. All three weapons are criminally easy to make, and (with the exception of the sling, easy to use). In my opinion, someone trained in wilderness survival should be able to craft and use all three with little difficulty. Slings are "ranged", spears are "defensive", and clubs are "offensive". I also think that a "survivor" should be able to craft and use a pair of bolas, but I don't consider them weapons, but an "accessory" to the spear/club.

Well pebbles are easy to find especially since the railroad tracks should have plenty. I don't know if we'd want to add a billion stones to the object inventory of the map however I guess you could just do some interaction to get them.

A sling would need cordage, which is something so commonly needed! With cordage you can make so many things including the Eskimo fire drill. Such a weapon as a sling would take some skill to get used to. Bolos is another great primitive weapon but harder to master from what little I have read. Pebbles is something one can carry in the pocket and require no advance preparation nor special skills. Normally I would carry a sling shot and pebbles or a walking staff if I'm worried about a cougar or other predator. Coyotes can be dangerous around your smaller pets when camping.

Wow! Fantastic videos there @Boston123! I like the video on the sling that showed how to do the cordage using the reverse wrap technique! A source of cordage in the game would be the cat tail leaves. It looks like his accuracy with the sling was about 2 meters at 20-30 meters. It took quite  a few shots to hit the small animal sized targets. I wouldn't want to hit the bear with that thing! That would only annoy it! Even if you didn't hit a wolf, I'm sure you'd convince it to split after a few near misses especially if the pebbles hit a rock with a nice loud crack!

Archived