Top of Timberwolf Mountain - Is that all?

RJ_Dalton

7 hours ago, Monty Cristo said:

you don't need to use bullets on anything except bears

An arrow works better than a bullet on the bear; it will actually bleed out faster. I tend to reserve bullets for the deer since they seem to run off when I draw my bow. Fortunately, you can avoid excess wind damage to clothing by bear hunting since you can afford to wait for better weather with all that meat!!

See this excellent hunting tutorial: http://thelongdark.wikia.com/wiki/Bear#Time_to_bleed_out

Here's hoping :)

Adding blinds and tree stands would be wonderful additions. There already are blinds in the game... but I've never noticed the animals behaving any differently towards you while you're in one. Admittedly, that may be because the blinds are missing their camouflage but spending an hour or two to tie up some boughs to make it a true blind again can't be that hard to simulate.

Also, having the animals maybe flee when being shot as opposed to always charging you would be a nice change.

On 2016-03-16 at 0:18 PM, Ohbal said:

Indeed to both. Hinterland is doing a great job in terms of offering play style alternatives :)

The real issue I'm having here is that the bear reaction in the situation feels too game-y and affects negatively to the reward feeling. It's similar to the torche technique. A bit more rewarding as you have to find the spot, get to it (involves climbing = risk of injury) and then wait for the bear to get close... but since it turns into an easy kill, it loses some charm :)

But I've recently read that animal behaviour is on Hinterland's "To Review" list, so I'm pretty confident they'll find the way to improve this.   

What do you think they should do with animal behaviour? If you go hand to hand with the wolf, it seems to run away and difficult to locate the carcass.

10 hours ago, SteveP said:

What do you think they should do with animal behaviour? If you go hand to hand with the wolf, it seems to run away and difficult to locate the carcass.

Oh, God, yes! I've done this a couple of times already and have still to locate a couple of them before they disappear from the game. I'm often too cold to follow the blood trail, and if I go inside and sleep, the blood trail disappears. I'd like to see those blood trails persist through the end of the day - that way I can go into shelter, warm up and recover, then come back out and pick up the trail where I left off and find the darn beast!

On 18/3/2016 at 9:10 AM, SteveP said:

Well, I'd say adding more basic AI responses would be a good start. Wolfs + Fire, let's give them some more tools than just freezing, like circling the player, stalking from a safe distance until the fire is over are some examples. In the case of getting shot from a safe spot, like a tree or or an unnaccessible rock, make them flee. Watching the beast running against the rock while it bleeds out doesn't feel so good ;)

Of curse, everything I'm saying would make our lifes harder, so I'm not sure if I follow on the carcass thingie :/

• 3 weeks later...

Personally, I think (now that the new roadmap has confirmed sandbox seasons) that TWM has a lot of potential as a migratory "rotary map." By this I mean it would be a good map to have benefits present in a certain season (Say... summer, as there is a certain plant which only grows at high altitudes.) This would also add a sense of "Gotta get there before autumn arrives."

At the moment, TWM has no real appeal in the survival sense, but I still visit it regularly, because, as sir Edmund Hillary answered to the question of "Why do you want to climb mount everest?" Because it's there.

The "fun" way to play on TWM... is not using any supplies of the air drops... i mean meeeeen is a lot of stuff and its pretty easy to get all (9 hours of travel x 4-5 travels when you have the ropes)
Get any kind of supplie box is just for those that are fighting over 1000+ days... im on day 230 and im not using any stuff of the airship yet... maybe 1 or 2 MRE to make those travels faster... but just that.. clothes, medical supplies and tools are there, just waiting for me to move them to PV, ML, CH and DP (or maybe the new maps :) )

On March 16, 2016 at 2:57 PM, Ohbal said:

I got mauled by the first bear I tried to hunt and since then I've always run a secure approach: I always get to a tree, or a map area in which the bear cannot get to me, like the top of some of their own caves. It makes me feel as a mixture between cheater/exploiter and clever survivor, cause I'd obviously never dare to shoot such an animal from a position in which, if I failed to land a shot, I'd get caugh. However it doesn't have much sense either that the bear doesn't run for his life under such a situation. Most of the time it runs against the wall or the tree he cannot climb until I manage to land the kill-shot. 

In real life I would not hunt/shoot a bear from an exposed position ever.

Bears are notoriously tough and unpredictable. The first bear I tried to kill in TLD charged me after the fist shot, mauled me pretty good and I did not survive. Since then I have always taken my shots from either concealment, in places such as the hunters blind (which works great since you can duck down behind the wall after the shot), behind trees etc. or from on top of a rock ledge and never when the bear is facing me straight on. I have managed to drop several bears with one shot this way, usually hitting them in the vital region behind the shoulder. Others have run off to die shortly thereafter.

Is this an exploit? Absolutely not, it's realistic and IMO shows good situational awareness and presence of mind. It is more rewarding than using a fire trap or dropped food. Remember to kill a bear with one shot takes getting close and aiming small. There is a risk the bear will detect you getting that close and charge before you can get into position. It takes some skill and patience to maneuver yourself so that the bear ends up where you want him when you take the shot. So I think you are right to feel like a clever survivor and forget the rest. 

Archived