One intelligent request and one not-so-intelligent request

Wasteland Watcher

The "smart" suggestion:
Craft-able beds. I'd like to be able to craft a one-man cot or small bed and place it, for example, inside the dam on Mystery Lake. 12 reclaimed wood and 22 cured guts should do the job ;)

The other suggestion:
Please allow us to be able to break down the sign outside Camp Office for reclaimed wood. Why? Because it's startled me so many times when I mistook it for a wolf! Please...let me chop that thing down:P

Thanks for the suggestions! 

Is the cot just something you'd like to have to improve the aesthetics of your selected base? I can't imagine you'd be able to easily move it from one location to another, and I can't think of many long-term base locations that don't have a bed already (dam is the big one). Just curious to know if you see it having a big enough benefit over a bedroll to make it worth the crafting effort. 

Always interesting to brainstorm stuff like this :geek:

3 hours ago, Bethany Williams said:

Thanks for the suggestions! 

Is the cot just something you'd like to have to improve the aesthetics of your selected base? I can't imagine you'd be able to easily move it from one location to another, and I can't think of many long-term base locations that don't have a bed already (dam is the big one). Just curious to know if you see it having a big enough benefit over a bedroll to make it worth the crafting effort. 

Always interesting to brainstorm stuff like this :geek:

Bethany! Good morning from sunny Yokosuka, Japan :)
A small craft-able bed that can be a permanent fixture at the location it's built, that doesn't degrade just like the permanent beds we find in some buildings, and is not able to be moved from one location to another is what I'm suggesting.
I see it as something that's somewhat heavy -- maybe around 30 ~ 40 pounds: light enough to drag around a room and place it, yet too heavy to carry to another shelter location.
Maybe double the reclaimed wood and guts mentioned above, plus maybe 20~30 cloth is enough to make a comfortable single-size bed that would provide around 5C warmth.

[ [ SPOILER FOLLOWS ] ]

I'll be honest -- I want this so if I'm living at Mystery Lake I can live in the dam without the need for a bedroll (that deteriorates) -- so not really for aesthetics.
The reason I desire to make the dam a "home base" is so I have 'easy' access to the Cave and the Ravine.
I've lived at Mystery Lake (combining three sandboxes) over 170 days now and decided that for ease of travel, the dam is the place to be.

[END SPOILER]

Also, I'm serious about the sign outside the Camp Office. Can we break it down for reclaimed wood? I would. And then the sign would stop scaring me :silly:

Thanks for the consideration :)

Instead of cloth may I suggest boughs? You need something to fill your mattress and since springs and down is out of the question pine boughs are your best bet.

If you don't mind a semi-permanent bed than you could just gather tons of boughs to make a mattress on the floor of the dam that will slowly degrade over time but not as quickly as the bedroll.

5 minutes ago, cekivi said:

Instead of cloth may I suggest boughs? You need something to fill your mattress and since springs and down is out of the question pine boughs are your best bet.

If you don't mind a semi-permanent bed than you could just gather tons of boughs to make a mattress on the floor of the dam that will slowly degrade over time but not as quickly as the bedroll.

Great idea! Can I use "sticks" for boughs?
I'd really like a permanent bed inside the dam. I don't think a bed should already be there, but I think it's feasible to build one, given enough time.

Boughs, sadly, are not in the game :crying:

But they do make for a nice bed and/or warm floor. The difference between a bough and a stick is a bough is still green and supple with all of its needles attached. So, it's compactable, insect resistant (due to the pine needles) and warm since it insulates you from the ground. It could be something that gets added to the game but I don't know if boughs are on anyone's wishlist.

7 minutes ago, cekivi said:

Boughs, sadly, are not in the game :crying:

But they do make for a nice bed and/or warm floor. The difference between a bough and a stick is a bough is still green and supple with all of its needles attached. So, it's compactable, insect resistant (due to the pine needles) and warm since it insulates you from the ground. It could be something that gets added to the game but I don't know if boughs are on anyone's wishlist.

I see -- thanks very much for the explanation :)

Would tinder-plugs and cloth work? Or cattail heads and cloth?

That I don't know. I've only tried pine boughs :)

Still, cattail heads and stalks may work. Historically, mattresses could be made from straw which is sort of like a cattail stalk. It would be interesting having to decide whether to eat the cattails your harvest or use them for a mattress. Extra deer, wolf and bear hides would make sense to be used as blankets as well. Then you'd just need some filler (cattail stalks? boughs?) and throw some hides over top to make a makeshift bed.

5 hours ago, cekivi said:

That I don't know. I've only tried pine boughs :)

Still, cattail heads and stalks may work. Historically, mattresses could be made from straw which is sort of like a cattail stalk. It would be interesting having to decide whether to eat the cattails your harvest or use them for a mattress. Extra deer, wolf and bear hides would make sense to be used as blankets as well. Then you'd just need some filler (cattail stalks? boughs?) and throw some hides over top to make a makeshift bed.

THAT is an awesome idea: reclaimed wood for structure and cured gut lines to tie the frame together with cattails for a mattress with wolf, rabbit, and deer hide for blankets. It'd be very warm!

8 hours ago, Dirmagnos said:

Craftable beds would be nice(that would require a fair amount of logs and time put into making frame), also ability to move one-story beds and ability to dismantle beds in general. Ability to pick up pillows, blankets, etc

I think it'd reasonable to move it around inside the same location it's found but not to drag it across the frozen wasteland ;)

Although it's not that unreasonable. When I'm camping in the bush we sometimes use a homemade shack. Our bunk beds are narrow so we just took an old foam mattress and cut in half. The half mattress is quite comfy (as long as you don't roll around much) and is really easy to pack up and carry as long as you have a cord to tie it off into a roll. So, maybe moving the frame is impractical but harvesting or moving a small, light mattress may be doable. Of course, moving a giant queen size bed would be more than slightly ridiculous! :silly:

1 minute ago, cekivi said:

Although it's not that unreasonable. When I'm camping in the bush we sometimes use a homemade shack. Our bunk beds are narrow so we just took an old foam mattress and cut in half. The half mattress is quite comfy (as long as you don't roll around much) and is really easy to pack up and carry as long as you have a cord to tie it off into a roll. So, maybe moving the frame is impractical but harvesting or moving a small, light mattress may be doable. Of course, moving a giant queen size bed would be more than slightly ridiculous! :silly:

Interesting!

How much does it weigh?
Does it provide any warmth at all? Or is it just for a comfortable play to lay?

About twice the weight of a heavy sleeping bag. It gives a little warmth. Not as good as a full bed but better than laying directly on wood! More comfortable too ^_^

If I was backpacking you could tie it to a pack frame and easily move it around. It's big but not too bad and definitely light enough to carry although you wouldn't want to carry much else!

You'd probably need to scavenge a foam mattress from one of the cabins. There's not really any "mattress material" currently in the game. If you tried to make it out of cloth alone you'd just be creating a homemade bedroll

On 2/29/2016 at 2:28 AM, Wasteland Watcher said:

The "smart" suggestion:
Craft-able beds. I'd like to be able to craft a one-man cot or small bed and place it, for example, inside the dam on Mystery Lake. 12 reclaimed wood and 22 cured guts should do the job ;)

The other suggestion:
Please allow us to be able to break down the sign outside Camp Office for reclaimed wood. Why? Because it's startled me so many times when I mistook it for a wolf! Please...let me chop that thing down:P

I'd love to be able to build a bed at the dam!  Or steal the bedding from some of the other places.  Those logging cabins aren't too far away.  A couple days 9 or 12 thousand calories some jury rigging with pallets and crates  and my castle would be complete!  

Also I agree about the sign.  I've shot it twice. :)

Archived