Does the calorie count go to zero in mornings?

Jolan

I'm noticing that when I go to bed with plenty of calories I wake up with none.  I made the mistake of eating an MRE before bed and at dawn - starving again?  My condition is 100% I'm sleeping indoors and I have no ailments that I know of.  Is this simply a game mechanic?  Or a tape worm?  Also - why do we go from slaked to dehydrated while sleeping?  Its not 100 in the the cabin?  I can understand waking up thirsty but starting to die?  I've seriously only ever experienced that effect in the desert.  

Regarding calories, when selecting how many hours you want to rest, the game tells you how many calories you are going to spend while resting (e.g. 750 Cal for 10 hours of sleep in Voyageur). If you wake up with significantly fewer calories in the morning than calories in the evening minus estimated calories spent during rest, I'd say something is wrong here.

Regarding water, you can sleep up to 11 hours without becoming dehydrated (Voyageur again), as long as you drink to the full before sleeping. You shouldn't be worried about small reduction in condition if you "oversleep", but it is always a good idea to drink and maximize your hydration before going to bed in TLD. Forgetting this rule may get you killed.

On 3/3/2016 at 4:27 PM, Drifter Man said:

Regarding calories, when selecting how many hours you want to rest, the game tells you how many calories you are going to spend while resting (e.g. 750 Cal for 10 hours of sleep in Voyageur). If you wake up with significantly fewer calories in the morning than calories in the evening minus estimated calories spent during rest, I'd say something is wrong here.

Regarding water, you can sleep up to 11 hours without becoming dehydrated (Voyageur again), as long as you drink to the full before sleeping. You shouldn't be worried about small reduction in condition if you "oversleep", but it is always a good idea to drink and maximize your hydration before going to bed in TLD. Forgetting this rule may get you killed.

That's why I was so surprised to go to zero.  I was only sleeping 8 hours.  I was hydrating fulling too.  This doesn't seem to be happening any more.  I still head to bed with only 1,000 cal.  Just in case. :) 

1 hour ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

If you constantly wake up from Rest with 0 Calories, it means you are burning off more Calories than you have, while you Rest.

That's what was surprising me.  On that run thru I went to sleep with about 1700 cal.  slept 8 hours and hit zero.  By any chance would encumbrance affect cal. consumption while sleeping.  Its an academic question sense the game I was having trouble with ended up with food poising, wolf bite, sprained ankle and rapidly dropping core temperature.  I kind of gave up on that one. :D

• Hinterland
On March 6, 2016 at 6:46 PM, Jolan said:

That's what was surprising me.  On that run thru I went to sleep with about 1700 cal.  slept 8 hours and hit zero.  By any chance would encumbrance affect cal. consumption while sleeping.  Its an academic question sense the game I was having trouble with ended up with food poising, wolf bite, sprained ankle and rapidly dropping core temperature.  I kind of gave up on that one. :D

No, Encumbrance doesn't affect you when you are sleeping or standing still.

1700 cals in 8 hours is a little over 200 cals/hr, which is close to the actual resting (sleeping) calorie burn rate. It would be modified by whether you were Freezing or not -- if you are Freezing you burn more Calories. So, it's possible that if for the last 2-3 hours of that 8-hour rest cycle, you might have burned enough "extra" calories to zero out your 1700 calories.

(The Calorie burn discussion can be a bit of a rabbit hole, but I will say this -- in general people always underestimate how much energy a full-grown man or woman needs, even at very low activity levels.)

On 6-3-2016 at 6:29 AM, Raphael van Lierop said:

(The Calorie burn discussion can be a bit of a rabbit hole, but I will say this -- in general people always estimate how much energy a full-grown man or woman needs, even at very low activity levels.)

Don't you mean underestimate?

Archived