New Computer, Cannot start a New Game

Ecn

So I wanted to play today after a long hiatus (new computer) and I went to select my survivor and hit confirm but it doesn't want to do anything? Anyone come across this? Made a webm to show the issue. Re-logged, tried verifying cache integrity no luck. I have reinstalled, deleted files manually.

try deleting the hinterland folder in C:\Users\name\AppData\LocalLow for windows

Someone mentioned doing this; but I don't actually have a hinterland folder in LocalLow folder, maybe it was moved elsewhere?

WebM:  http://webm.land/media/Havz.webm

Computer Specs:

Corsair Carbide Series 200R Windowed
Intel Core i5 4690K
Corsair H60 Liquid Cooling
ASUS Z97-E
Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB DDR3-1866
ASUS GeForce GTX 970 STRIX OC 4GB
Corsair LE 240GB SSD
Corsair CS650 650W PSU
Windows 10 Home 64-bit

I have posted on reddit and steam already; no one has been able to find a solution thus-far.

Thank you for your help!

-Ecn

5 hours ago, illanthropist said:

I am attempting these currently, I will post again with results.

Edit: I attempted all of these things (the only thing I haven't done yet is submit the output log) none of which have changed the issue.

2 hours ago, TSmith said:

plucking at straws as well, but is your steam folder residing on that 240 gig SSD? is that the only drive you have?

It is on a 3TB HDD, I could try installing it on the SSD though, but I don't think that is going to make much of a difference other than loading?

Edit: So I did a fresh install of the game to the SSD, same issue. Unplugged my 360 controller (even though I have controller disabled in the game) the issue is still there.

1 hour ago, Ecn said:

I am attempting these currently, I will post again with results.

Edit: I attempted all of these things (the only thing I haven't done yet is submit the output log) none of which have changed the issue.

It is on a 3TB HDD, I could try installing it on the SSD though, but I don't think that is going to make much of a difference other than loading?

Edit: So I did a fresh install of the game to the SSD, same issue. Unplugged my 360 controller (even though I have controller disabled in the game) the issue is still there.

Hi Ecn, sorry you are having trouble revisiting the game. How long was your hiatus? Please also submit your output log to us at info@hinterlandgames.com and I will forward it to the tech team to follow up. (the instructions to find the log are in the Steam thread you linked above). 

Thanks,

Patrick

I haven't played since there was only the one spawn, before the wolf ai update (I think that was it?) - so quite a while. Mostly because I got about 15fps on my old computer. I will email the output log now.

Taking a look at your log that you emailed -  It looks like you don't have write permissions to the save folder. Did you copy the saves from another PC? You will need to restore permissions to your current User. Alternatively you can remove the Hinterland folder and let the game write the files on it's own, but you will be deleting any current save data. 

18 minutes ago, Support said:

Taking a look at your log that you emailed -  It looks like you don't have write permissions to the save folder. Did you copy the saves from another PC? You will need to restore permissions to your current User. Alternatively you can remove the Hinterland folder and let the game write the files on it's own, but you will be deleting any current save data. 

The OP says there is no save game folders both in local or locallow as my first thought was write permission issues with UAC.

Wonder, would manually creating folders fix it (replacing Neil with appropriate user)!

C:\Users\Neil\AppData\Local\Hinterland\TheLongDark\

1 hour ago, illanthropist said:

The OP says there is no save game folders both in local or locallow as my first thought was write permission issues with UAC.

Wonder, would manually creating folders fix it (replacing Neil with appropriate user)!

C:\Users\Neil\AppData\Local\Hinterland\TheLongDark\

The logs suggests they copied the files from another PC or are from an old windows install (it sees the folders, but does not have write permissions to the folders. This usually means the folder originated on a different OS install.) It's entirely possible that the folder is hidden as well. You will need to show hidden files to confirm. You could try to create the folders manually, but it's best to let the game create them. 

16 minutes ago, Support said:

The logs suggests they copied the files from another PC or are from an old windows install (it sees the folders, but does not have write permissions to the folders. This usually means the folder originated on a different OS install.) It's entirely possible that the folder is hidden as well. You will need to show hidden files to confirm. You could try to create the folders manually, but it's best to let the game create them. 

Yeah the OP did say he copied across to a new PC (steam is a bugger for that) though he did say also tried a fresh install and given Appdata is a hidden folder along with it's sub folders and he seemed to have searched inside those it is a bit puzzling as to why a fresh install isn't just creating new save game folders. Do the logs indicate those folders exist?

So I got it figured out, turns out some of the files within the LocalLow and Local were hidden, I was able to go to AppData, right click on it and show hidden files (and sub folders) and boom two Hinterland folders (one in local, one in locallow)... Deleted them and reinstalled the game and I am good to go.

It is weird because when I transferred everything from my old computer the only things I actually brought over was the steamapps folders, no info from my appdata folder. but regardless I fixed it.

I want to thank you all for being so helpful and to the devs for making such an awesome game :)

- Ecn

1 hour ago, Ecn said:

So I got it figured out, turns out some of the files within the LocalLow and Local were hidden, I was able to go to AppData, right click on it and show hidden files (and sub folders) and boom two Hinterland folders (one in local, one in locallow)... Deleted them and reinstalled the game and I am good to go.

It is weird because when I transferred everything from my old computer the only things I actually brought over was the steamapps folders, no info from my appdata folder. but regardless I fixed it.

I want to thank you all for being so helpful and to the devs for making such an awesome game :)

- Ecn

:)  Happy hunting

Archived