Bringing back electricity, or... generators.

veraziul

On 2/22/2016 at 7:19 PM, vancopower said:

You know what, having electricity does not mean having the world back. So what you powered up your shelter hurrah you are modern man, you can watch TV put some beer in the fridge order pizza oh wait NO you can't the world is still gone. On the other hand yes it will be helpful in some other ways like having this:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/6 ... L1500_.jpg

I could see the use of electricity now, as for having fridge or stove pfft not a big deal. If electricity is coming back in this world I imagine that it would be something like this:

-New region some old factory with back up fuel and coal generators.

-New resource Fuel which can be harvested form the cars in jerry cans with a tube.

-New powered up crafting station. here you could refine your crude tools make them fine tools which last longer or upgrade them in to regular tools with wooden handle.

-New crafting tool Pick axe only available at this station (For mining large quantity of coal for the generators) Coal is no longer on the ground you have to mine it. (maybe mine some iron and flint too just as a flavor)

-New Electric tools sharpener household item which needs power to work.

- can craft simple tools and upgrade them into quality tools which takes time.

- you can use simple and quality tools to repair the generators, also they are required now to repair all the other tools which do not need sharpening.

- everything you do on the new crafting station requires simple or quality tools, just like making clothes does require sewing kit or fishing tackle.

A place like a sawmill would have a small machine shop, and they would likely have a fairly big diesel genny for backup power... Which would be pretty cool... And lot of older diesel engines didn't have an electric start system, they used compressed air, a hydraulic pump and motor or a "pony motor" to start them. Just an Idea!

Sam

On 2.3.2016 at 4:35 AM, Rusty_Old_F250 said:

A place like a sawmill would have a small machine shop, and they would likely have a fairly big diesel genny for backup power... Which would be pretty cool... And lot of older diesel engines didn't have an electric start system, they used compressed air, a hydraulic pump and motor or a "pony motor" to start them. Just an Idea!

Sam

Yes that would work too, we can harvest the diesel from the tractors, also we could craft tools and parts to make biodiesel production machine which is not so hard to make in real life all you need is 3 large containers for refinement and some kind of chemical methanol i believe for catalyst (you will can recover it) and you can refine fats and oil in to biodiesel and glycerin. you can not make this with your basic tools however if you have power and more complex tools it is possible.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry for an off topic, but this thread made me think of an X-Files episode where they were in the deep forest and had to keep lights on through the night time in order to keep away small bugs that were eating flesh and that were hiding from the light.

31 minutes ago, Wormer said:

I'm sorry for an off topic, but this thread made me think of an X-Files episode where they were in the deep forest and had to keep lights on through the night time in order to keep away small bugs that were eating flesh and that were hiding from the light.

I remember that episode. And they had to keep the generator going at all costs. Fun episode.

• cekivi locked this topic

Archived