What are your impressions for the game?

russ_beye

Hinterland YouTube Channel:

[bBvideo 560,340:tunvagel]http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUH0Ek73AFT3yVCh80_b8dg[/bBvideo]

I can't believe the feels this game gives me! As an avid gamer, the zombies and castles and urban warfare was just getting old, with little to no innovation recently. The whole survivor genre is really engrossing to me, but I haven't found much in the way of Hinterland's efforts. I think the level of immersion will really set this game apart from the pack, and give the genre a torch bearer for future titles. The success of the Kickstarter is just one example of the level of support from the community, and the acceptance at large of a game like this. I really hope they keep it as tightly focused at the videos show, but I have no fear otherwise really.

What I do anticipate is them not fearing to cross into deep, controversial situations that would really test the fortitude and morals of us as survivors. I want to feel the gut wrenching pain when you can't save someone, aside from yourself. I want to leave the computer and think about it over dinner and homework. Call me morbid, but I think we need that these days. Other AAA-titles have you blasting, killing, and respawning with little to no moral consequences. This is my hope for the game, something that challenges me, makes me feel my choices matter, and leave me breathless.

That said, what do you think of the videos? Just a simple dialog to jump start the forums and get us engaged. Have great day guys and gals!

I for one am frankly ecstatic that there is a survival game that isn't about shooting zombies or battling other survivors.

I am a survival and preparedness instructor, and I can tell you, if your idea of survival is getting into prolonged gun-fights or taking on every person you come across, you will be very dead, very quick.

The early look at gameplay is just that... early.

It leaves much to be desired, to the developers themselves the most I'm sure.

That said, I have great expectations of the developers, and no doubt they won't meet and exceed those expectations.

I agree that it will definitely set them apart and this is a great step away from the constant zombie apocalypse we've been bombarded by for so long. I also have a similar expectation of this game making me really think about how to approach situations.

As for the videos, cue the fangirl scream please. I absolutely adore the way this game *looks* - even if the gameplay was absolutely terrible I'd still play just because it's just so darn pretty! But I have no notions of that being the case, as there is so much that can be done and I'm really excited to see how the basic needs will be handled (things like food, shelter, sleep, sanity, etc).

That's my 1/2 cent for now - darn posting from work ;)

I find TLD very interesting cause it is gonna be a simulation. Essentially a simulation tries to replicate real life and tries not to include general features that make a game, well... a game.

Simulation gives a real feeling and much better immersion than your usual survival game but it is also much more difficult to make it playable and not just plain annoying (since believe it or not, actual survival is quite difficult).

I can't wait to see how the game will be developed, especially since I'm gonna be in all stages of development! I hope we will be able to call it virtual reality survival simulation. I need the oculus rift...

I find TLD very interesting cause it is gonna be a simulation. Essentially a simulation tries to replicate real life and tries not to include general features that make a game, well... a game.

Simulation gives a real feeling and much better immersion than your usual survival game but it is also much more difficult to make it playable and not just plain annoying (since believe it or not, actual survival is quite difficult).

I can't wait to see how the game will be developed, especially since I'm gonna be in all stages of development! I hope we will be able to call it virtual reality survival simulation. I need the oculus rift...

I'll actually write something inteligent later but when I think of this game all I can say is:

AAAAHHHHH!!!! Give me NOW!!! Want game, where is game, must have game!! :D

PS: Dont worry, I am aware I added nothing to the discussion just needed to get that out of my system ;)

This may seem odd, but the gameplay doesn't really suit my personal style. What drew me into being a backer on this game -- and specifically at the level I chose, which involves writing -- was the quality of the writing that was apparent from the teaser videos. The opening narration of the trailer, with phrases like "the quiet apocalypse" and "the technology that stands between us and nature" really drew me in. There have been consistent examples of above average writing in all the stuff the team has pushed out. So, when I saw a pledge level that offered a chance to work a little bit with the writing team, I thought it might be really cool to interface with them. I think I also saw that there is a novel based on the game's backstory that the team is developing? If so, I'm interested in that, too.

I for one am frankly ecstatic that there is a survival game that isn't about shooting zombies or battling other survivors.

I am a survival and preparedness instructor, and I can tell you, if your idea of survival is getting into prolonged gun-fights or taking on every person you come across, you will be very dead, very quick.

I've had some instruction up in Washington for the same thing, so I identify with you on that point. That was what I was trying to impress upon, that the game isn't mind-numbing shooting and general Rambo tactics. The team is doing great, considering the stage of development

As for the videos, cue the fangirl scream please. I absolutely adore the way this game *looks*

I really like the look they choose to go with. There is a charm to it, versus the dingy and grimey looks of say Fallout.

What drew me into being a backer on this game -- and specifically at the level I chose, which involves writing -- was the quality of the writing that was apparent from the teaser videos. The opening narration of the trailer, with phrases like "the quiet apocalypse" and "the technology that stands between us and nature" really drew me in.

I hear you on that! One thing I feel that fell to the wayside, especially on the console platforms, are engrossing and well-written stories. It seems there is always a trade-off between story and graphics. For sure, a well-written story is a strong foundation to build upon.

In addition to what has already been mentioned I was very impressed by the attention to little details, like temperature change based on proximity to the fire, in the video titled "First Gameplay Footage" at intothelongdark.com. Of course as a strictly Linux user the fact that they are making a Linux compatible version played a significant role in my support.

I am curious how much "fun" this game will be.

The soundtrack, the scenerey is already awesome, so what is left is the gameplay.

I just hope it doesn't swap to some stupid go to alien-planet-time-warp-stuff in the endgame if there is one!!!

A change of pace is what I'm looking for, and I'm pretty sure I've found it with TLD. Love all those other games out there, but a lot are just the same 'ol same 'ol. Needed something different. TLD looks plenty different to me, all in a good way. (o:

To me, just my opinion, it's already looking pretty good (I'm easy to please! lol). From everything I've read about the game play, it sounds fantastic, and I can just IMAGINE the stories that we're gonna get from the people in the community playing the game, and how different each one will be. Everyone will be writing there own story, and I can't wait to read each and every one of them. Well, most of them. Otherwise, I'd be on here forever! lol

I agree that it will definitely set them apart and this is a great step away from the constant zombie apocalypse we've been bombarded by for so long. I also have a similar expectation of this game making me really think about how to approach situations.

As for the videos, cue the fangirl scream please. I absolutely adore the way this game *looks* - even if the gameplay was absolutely terrible I'd still play just because it's just so darn pretty! But I have no notions of that being the case, as there is so much that can be done and I'm really excited to see how the basic needs will be handled (things like food, shelter, sleep, sanity, etc).

That's my 1/2 cent for now - darn posting from work ;)

I agree without the writing to back this game, it's over for me... I want to feel like I am this guy that survived.

I want to feel what this guy feels when he goes through the emotional rollercoaster that would be the world after something like this. I don't want him to just survive because I want to finish the game, but because, I am this character and I want to survive. (And, I want to laugh, and cry, and live along with him as if he were real.)

To me great writing is what makes the narrative come to life, and without it the character is really never fleshed out. Your just looking at a screen not really caring if your character dies or not because you can simply start over.

Also, that @Robdoar guy is a beast in these forums. (Thumbs up on your comments man.)

Just want say another one Thank You to Developers team. I seen your faces in videos and just like it. For me this is important. Something like face-contact. You see on the people and immediately understand - like or not. And this opinion based not only on the game screens or video of the game. Aslo I always see how exactly speak developer, how do the job or how feel world.

Second, but not least Thank You. For all 6,966 backers. Isn't God and isn't Publishers give this game chance to survive. You. You give this game matches, a warm jacket and a flask of whiskey. And if I, through the year or more (not important for me in case of Long Dark) will play in this game... this happen because you was give me this gift. You and developers.

My love to surviving games starts long time ago. 1994. 19 years ago. Robinson's Requiem created by Silmarils. Deep planet. Crashed vessel. Pieces of things. Hunting, lot of problem after eating fresh meat and lot of questions. This is a test of your mind. Test of your memory. Test of your knowledges.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robinson's_Requiem

After few years game industry collapsed. Casual, social, MMO stuff with primitive gameplay and with good price fill the markets. Only two or three years ago game Industry stands up from the knees. Indie developers like rebels made little mirracle. Blow the Death Star. No need more publishers. Only devs and gamers. Great union.

Empire still powerful, but we have a hope on the best Fate.

I want wish luck for the developers. My first impressions from game - they know how make games. And it's all. Minimalist style not my favorite style, but I fully understand why you do this. And as artist, I play... (sorry, i already play in this game in my head)... nope, I look at game videos and I'm happy. I like this. Game like sketch, accents, colors, motion and feelings from all of this. You are cool guys.

What else impressed me? Text menus for actions. You know why? As developer I know how developer want entertain gamer, how they need to do incredible art for ad company. Here, developers just make the game. Show the real progress. Showing us functionality. And this also gift. Before all, developers think about gameplay. Mother of God of our Industry. This is right way. This is right choice. That's the way. Every day i ask myself... when devs stop do the Picture and start do the Game. You do this. Thank You.

Thanks. Sorry for offtopic. For language. I'm survivor from longest east.

The videos are definitely a big factor when it comes to backing the game, though my reasons were more because of the faith I have in the team. Space Marine is the best game I played this gen (someone make a sequel of that already. I want to know what happens to Captain Titus). That, Saints Row and Jade Empire, my favorite BioWare; it all contributes to the feeling that the team knows what it's doing, certainly since there was no faffing about with stretch goals, just subtle additions. Still, the gameplay footage shows a killer (7) art style that I really enjoy, just aesthetically, for trying something different. I like similar genres with a sizable and capable deviation, don't you know. It takes what I already know I enjoy from Don't Starve and fits an entirely new mould over it in a new scope.

• 10 months later...

I like the kind of strategic thinking required of you when playing this kind of game. I prefer it to having fast reflexes for shooting. You have a list of priorities and worries, and you need to be able to handle them in the right way, in the right order, through planning and good implementation.

I really enjoyed Stalker CoP with the MISERY mod (you get hungry, weight is a big deal, injuries are terrible, etc). That kind of thing with less monsters is what I want.

Archived