Seven Screenshots Challenge (all difficulty modes allowed)

Scyzara

I really enjoyed competing in this challenge. It truly revived my interest in the game. Thanks, Scyzara! :D

F73326E5A33F5E4A7B1BEA035D1B0A9886D2D8C8

"Over 20,000 calories were burned trekking over 20.8 miles and I consumed not a single shread of meat. Damn, maybe those vegetarians ain't half as crazy as I had thought!

(Just kidding, but still, in real life I'm a meat lover. Ironic, no?)

A3E86774256BDE9E517909E3E617BC2EA67E0B92

"Dang-it, Jeff! That was our last good picnic table! Now how are we gonna have our tea party?"

2161637BFF1670D9F017C72764BFF43E7A4676A0

"Twinkle, twinkle, little star."

6175F6C596BD0CCB46329CF1E8DB7109E337DC30

"We're having fish tonight, boys!"

F7068B62A45439D08A68CE00F2449965FE182895

"...And here we observe the black bear in it's natural habitat, attempting to woo a mate using the classic seduction strategy commonly called 'The Candle-Light and Fresh-Salmon Posture'."

58E71B07E3EF72C7C072C6E7ED8C4A1976209909

"Timmy, have you been playing with Daddy's survival kit again?"

CEC0331AE2834B734A16087EC7B8FCA66DBFEA77

"Well, I use to be an adventurer like you..."

0BB05D64AEC03ED8583CFE26493F423F97D713A6

"None Shall Pass!" Decreed the squadron of water-bottles.

P.S.--I just noticed something odd.

My total distant travelled was 20.8 miles (33.47 km) over 8 days and 6 hours.

Yet it seems that mellow_swe was able to complete his trek with a shorter route (13.85 miles, 22.3 km) over a longer time (9 days and 8 hours).

I'm not accusing anyone of cheating, but something doesn't seem right. I actual suspect that my own data might be corrupted; perhaps the computer calculated my total distance using the metric system rather than the imperial system, which I had selected and used through-out the game-session.

Either way, I'll put my best foot forward and uphold a sportsman attitude, no matter the outcome. :)

Actually total time was not a factor in this challenge. In both my runs I spent about 4 days each at the mountaineers hut in TWM, curing gut to make fishing tackle.

If you look at the hours awake and hours rested stat it will make more sense (I have only 84 hours awake compared to your 98 hours...but a lot more hours rested.)

Still it's a great achievement to do it in as short a time as possible.

[spoil]I'll drop a hint for those trying to beat 22,5 km...I started in deer clearing in TWM![/spoil]

GL!

Happy to hear you had fun, thanks for the pretty Screenshots, Muk_Pile! And congratulations for your great distance, mellow_swe!

Time doesn't count for the challenge, you may sleep as much (or as little) as you like - hence the great variation in survival times. ;)

Current leaderboard:

#1 (Stalker) : mellow_swe..............(22,5km / 9d 6h / 84h awake)

#2 (Stalker) : Muk_Pile..................(33,5km / 9d 8h / 98h awake)

#3 (Stalker) : ThresholdSeven......... (36,3km / 15d 22h / 154h awake)

#4 (Stalker) : Scyzara................... (40,2km / 16d 17h / 179h awake)

#5 (Stalker) : Trashmobb............... (49,6km / 18d 21h / 132h awake)

Thanks, mellow_swe, for revealing your starting point to me; I had a feeling that's where you had started out.

[spoil]I started out by the wing section with the cargo containers guarded by the wolves, which is just around the corner from the log bridging the ravine, so I had to trek a mile or so to get to Deer Clearing.[/spoil]Plus, I had to double back on a few short stretches, so that probably accounts for the other several miles in my score (not to mention I decided to chase that cowardly Fluffy all around the generators in the dam. That darn critter just wouldn't stand still every time I hosteled and dropped my flare to shoot him :roll: ).

• 3 weeks later...

Just as a small reminder:

The 7 Screenshots challenge ends in three days. If you want to participate, please submit your time and screenshots until March 1st, 0h.

I'm still thinking about a funny title for the winner, though. Suggestions are very welcome! :normal:

Just as a small reminder:

The 7 Screenshots challenge ends in three days. If you want to participate, please submit your time and screenshots until March 1st, 0h.

I'm still thinking about a funny title for the winner, though. Suggestions are very welcome! :normal:

Finally found the time to give my challenge a second try!

Chose a different route and a more direct approach without much sleeping this time. Pretty satisfied with the improvement, but mellow_swe's distance remains unbeatable for me! :big_smile:

Current leaderboard:

#1 (Stalker) : mellow_swe..............(22,5km / 9d 6h / 84h awake)

#2 (Stalker) : Scyzara................... (26,3km / 3d 21h / 64h awake)

#3 (Stalker) : Muk_Pile..................(33,5km / 9d 8h / 98h awake)

#4 (Stalker) : ThresholdSeven......... (36,3km / 15d 22h / 154h awake)

#5 (Stalker) : Trashmobb............... (49,6km / 18d 21h / 132h awake

Stats.jpg

Finally found the time to give my challenge a second try!

Chose a different route and a more direct approach without much sleeping this time. Pretty satisfied with the improvement, but mellow_swe's distance remains unbeatable for me! :big_smile:

Current leaderboard:

#1 (Stalker) : mellow_swe..............(22,5km / 9d 6h / 84h awake)

#2 (Stalker) : Scyzara................... (26,3km / 3d 21h / 64h awake)

#3 (Stalker) : Muk_Pile..................(33,5km / 9d 8h / 98h awake)

#4 (Stalker) : ThresholdSeven......... (36,3km / 15d 22h / 154h awake)

#5 (Stalker) : Trashmobb............... (49,6km / 18d 21h / 132h awake

Good challenge, Scyzara.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to submit and screenshots due to technical difficulties. The first time had to redo it because I mixed things up and deleted half my screenshots before uploading <derp>.  Now Steam won't let me access any of the new pictures I just took on my second run and its too late. :crying:

Good job all.  :bedroll:

P.S: 22km is a great score.

Second Edit: (finally able to post)

7C1C9DDD45D7670C6543D859563BC3D1CB171DA8

22E1034A575B2800CA56FD2709F208BB7E52756E

55EEB8C8DDFA462AC6F9C633DA88863B7C5EC0DA

02B36349C7E3BDE1BA27937FD08C371BD1B74214

5FD11E7CFDC468824A607414DE4092EAED75E719

C2DF3E1353BD8A73730F60041CB0E90F99C119E4

9B8441932E79B7F49B100D3D3119E2B5F488878C

Yes, I killed that bear with a flare round.  This was the weirdest bear encounter I have had.  Trapped it with fire then shot it three times with arrows.  The first one stuck in his forehead.  The next two bounced off.  That's right, bounced.  I'm guessing I channeled Robin Hood and they both actually hit the first one:geek: So I had a choice of waiting for my tiny fire to go out and get mauled or finishing it with a round from the flare gun.

GG

DE34B8BEF5E8DD9FB4C1AF1B5E1F76F4A6A6C5CC

Lol, Congratz selfless! That's what I call a last-minute ninja attack on mellow_swe's distance! :winky:

Anyway, awesome route planning from both of you!  Would you mind sharing your precise routes?

#1 (Stalker) : selfless......................(22,2km / 4d 0h / 72h awake)

#2 (Stalker) : mellow_swe............ ..(22,5km / 9d 6h / 84h awake)

#3 (Stalker) : Scyzara.................. . (26,3km / 3d 21h / 64h awake)

#4 (Stalker) : Muk_Pile................ ..(33,5km / 9d 8h / 98h awake)

#5 (Stalker) :  ThresholdSeven.......(36,3km / 15d 22h / 154h awake)

#6 (Stalker) : Trashmobb............... (49,6km / 18d 21h / 132h awake)

Looks like you're not only the King of the Mountain, but also the new Master Cartographer! Congratulations! :normal:

PS: Just out of curiosity... are you able to change your rank, selfless? (Profile-> Edit Profile -> Member Title)

I could change mine to "Queen of the Mountain", but some other people I talked to seem to be stuck with the standart member titles. Just wondered if the Devs allowed me to change my rank because of the challenge or if anybody can change their ranks (and it's just a coincidence that everyone keeps their member/advanced member title^^).

Oh my...  I think I was too late.  It was clearly the 29th when I completed my second run.  And, no, no editable title that I can see on profile.

But I'll tell you 'cuz I figure mine and Mellow_Swe's routes are similar.  Credit to Whiteberry for awesome maps.

Start at Deer Clearing on Timberwolf Mountain.  Shortcut to Secluded Shelf.  Cave to Summit.  Load up at Tail Section.

Take full set of clothes and food and tools.  Take Heavy Hammer.  Take Flare Gun and Rounds.  Take 20 Herbal Tea and at least 5 liters of Water.

Direct descend toward Lake.  Watch for Maple Sapling.  Climb down rope.  Continue to Fishing Hut.  Search for Fishing Tackle.  Kill wolf, take Guts.

Go to Mountaineers' Hut.  Search for Fishing Tackle and Arrows.  Craft Fishing Tackle from found Line and crafted Hook.  Return to Fishing Hut.  Catch Bass.

Go directly to exit for Pleasant Valley.  Descend rope, go directly to Mystic River Picnic Area.  Search Cave for Bow and Arrows.  Set up Tea.  Screenshot D.

Over hill to bridge.  Bee-line to Abandoned Mine.  Descend to Log Sort.  Cross ice to Misanthrope's Island.  Shoot Flare Gun.  Screenshot F.

Direct to Crumbling Highway then to Desolation Point.  Drop down to road then straight for Riken.  Forge Improvised Knife.  Drop Bass outside.  Screenshot G.

Exit up bank, past Church.  Back to Coastal Highway.  Pass Misanthrope's Island on seaside.  Head for Fishing Camp.  Stop in Fishing hut and catch Salmon.

Head inland to reach train tunnel.  Cook up 2.5L of water.  Pass through train tunnel to Ravine. Reposition water onto track 5x.  Screenshot B.

Cross Ravine to Mystery Lake.  Go directly to Carter Dam.  Descend to lower level.  Arrange Bow and Arrows around Frank.  Screenshot E.

Out Dam to Winding River.  Navigate to Cave and back to Pleasant Valley.  Go to ledge over bear cave.  Descend carefully.  Shoot bear.  Track Bear.

Arrange Salmon next to dead Bear.  Screenshot A.  Proceed to Farmhouse.  Go upstairs and arrange Improvised Knife with Blocks.  Screenshot C.  <FIN>

I would have been possible to craft a Bow and the Arrows before they were needed for picture, but was lucky and found them instead.  Only ever had one Fishing Tackle so also lucky that did not break.  Could have crafted more but would have required waiting for Guts to cure.  Great little adventure requiring some good planning and navigation.

Cheers.

TimberwolfMountainSF.jpg

PleasantValleySF.jpg

CoastalHighwaySF.jpgDesolationPointSF.jpg

Yeah, you've submitted your screenshots on Feb. 29th (even here in Europe still Feb 29th^^), hence prior to March 1st 0h. I forgot to edit my 1st post once I had realized that we have a leap-year in 2016, sorry for that. Always intended this challenge to end "by the end of February" and not on Feb. 28th in particular.^^

But if you don't want to take away the win from mellow_swe, I suggest this challenge to have two winners like in the sea to summit challenge! That's probably the fairest solution as you two probably both have found the ideal route. :normal:

Thanks for sharing the maps, really interesting to see your route. Guess I know where I lost some kilometers - I didn't end my run in the farmstead, but in the Ravine instead. Chose the same path like you until I left DP, but failed to realize that CH->Rav->Dam->Wind.R.-> PV-> Farmstead is ofc. much shorter than my solution (CH->Ab. mine-> PV-> Farmstead -> Wind. River -> Dam -> Ravine).:big_smile:

Odd that no-one seems to be able to change their ranks. Really wonder if that's intended.^^

9 hours ago, Scyzara said:

Odd that no-one seems to be able to change their ranks. Really wonder if that's intended.^^

It is intended. We're reserving that for special circumstances...And this is a perfect example! It's a bit of a fluke you were able to change yours, Scyzara.

@selfless @mellow_swe - Congratulations! If you'd like to claim the title of "Master Cartographer", please PM me and I'll update your profiles. Congratulations to you both :big_smile:

• 4 months later...

Archived