KD7BCH

Rather than bitch about Wolf I thought I'd share this..

No idea what the title has to do with the videos, but watching Alone in the Wilderness gives me wanderlust that hurt, really need to do something about that this summer... Great videos, thanks for sharing! :D

• Upvote 2

Few weeks ago I got cornered by wolves again early on and just decided I've already said my piece about hour 1 wolf combat and well I thought rather than bitch about how wolves are atm I'd post some Dick P. I'm glad you liked it :)

"A good stove, two bunks, and a roof that didn't leak." Most of what we really need, truth be told. Brilliant video. Thanks for sharing, KD7BCH. :coffee:

--Patrick 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Patrick Carlson said:

"A good stove, two bunks, and a roof that didn't leak." Most of what we really need, truth be told. Brilliant video. Thanks for sharing, KD7BCH. :coffee:

--Patrick 

Mystery Lake should have a location called Spike's Cabin ;)

8 minutes ago, illanthropist said:

Mystery Lake should have a location called Spike's Cabin ;)

I liked especially the bit where he makes his own handles on-site in order to save weight. Of course! :hatchet:

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Patrick Carlson said:

I liked especially the bit where he makes his own handles on-site in order to save weight. Of course! :hatchet:

Me too, though it'd take me a month to carve a spoon.  Out of all the off grid/homesteader types in the media over the years he seems to be the only one that's not a little batshit, pardon my French!

• Upvote 1

If I remember correctly, when they guy passed away the US National Park Service inherited the cabin. I think it's now used by rangers. Either that or it can be rented by guests. It's been a while since I've seen the documentary :)

6 minutes ago, cekivi said:

If I remember correctly, when they guy passed away the US National Park Service inherited the cabin. I think it's now used by rangers. Either that or it can be rented by guests. It's been a while since I've seen the documentary :)

Think it's more of a tourist attraction, like a small museum than a holiday let.

1 hour ago, Docterrok said:

I wish we could build cabins in this game...

I don't want this to turn into yet another basebuilder/survival mashup -- loads of those around already.  But building proper cabins, with the realism and ambiance of TLD, that seems like too much scope/cost to bolt on to this game.  Homebuilding doesn't seem appropriate for a desperate survival situation either.

HOWEVER I like the temporary shelter we have (snow shelter) -- excellent survival trade offs there.  I wouldn't mind being able to build a windbreak (for my outdoor fire) with similar tradeoffs.  And some small storage (a box or basket). 

• Upvote 4

The fact that wolves exist as they do with uber powers that they do, mean there is no point to planning for a day 100+ survival situation. Even perfectly equipped,  you can encounter an undefeatable zombies *wolf" and yeah. It really ruins the game for me. 

I loved that. When part one ended I was "Wth?" and then "Yay!" part two :) This guy reminds me of my uncle Tommy.

I love stuff like this, will check it out when I'm home.

Also check out the documentary Happy People: A Year in the Taiga.

Things like that make me wanna pull a Thoreau and go live in a small wooden cabin in the woods.

Speaking of which, I'm pretty sure Walden is public domain about now, would be cool if they put readable books in the game to pass time.