v.101 Feedback - Travel Speed

Bill Tarling

Ran all the way from spawn point beyond the dam, all the way to the homestead -- barely fatigued, and calorie counter only showed once I reached the homestead ridge. Map actually feels very small since the character is running way faster now [faster than he should be able to do through untouched snowdrifts]. Really feels like it takes no time to reach one side of map all the way to the other now -- whereas before it felt like a trudge trek, so you planned to break up travel in separate stops.

Personally it feels like you simply removed the difficulty level by allowing fast travel everywhere, so don't really see much need to hesitate about just heading off to distant points anymore. Also feels more like I'm travelling at a summer hard ground pace now rather than pushing my way through snow.

Just my personal opinion -- likely doesn't reflect how others may like the change. Just feels easier now (almost too much so).

Because we have been playing the game at the other level Bill, this will seem extra fast. Personally I like the way it is. You can actually tell that you are running now, (with the head bob) to when you are just walking.

I get what your saying about the snow drift and should feel slower, and I don't think this would be hard to implement, being off rail tracks, roads, forest paths and ice, but its actually pretty cool now.

I would like to see it being slowed by weight, because ill tell you now, with our 40Kg packs in the military, we would run for say 300 metres then walk 300 because you can't really even call it a run with 40Kg on your back. 30 would feel feather weight compared to 40, but for this game, as you weigh up that pack, you get to run/walk faster.

This will give another option, do I leave so and so behind, because I know ill make it to the Dam, but will the dam have what I need ?? Or do I load up, and take more time, get caught in a blizzard then have to keep pushing through . . . ??

You get what I mean.

Here's what I mean by distance not really even being a concern now...

Spawned -- ran all the way to homestead [wasn't far away] -- stocked up on supplies including rifle...

Ran out to Max' Last Stand, then ran all the way to unnamed pond, then to outhouse cabin (stocked up on more supplies), then ran up to lookout tower [i scaled the side hill as a shortcut up] -- ran the entire way to the tower... Started fire, melted snow and boiled water... Slept for 1 hour [to create a save spot].

Didn't stop to eat or drink -- and ran all those distances. Take away the time for the fire, water melting/boiling, and sleep -- not much time has really passed for hitting all those spots.

Just (personally) feels like you can simply do the map in marathon mode now because you can travel so quickly [i.e. the map now feels really tiny] - before it was small once you knew the locations and landmarks, but now I can race corner to corner very quickly. Just feels like I can sprint everywhere.

In Studio terms (Raph will get the connection), the map now feels like the size of Cumberland rather than Courtenay and Comox.

I'm with Bill here although my greedy side likes being able to run all over the map my sensible side says we need to put a bigger penalty for running. The speed for walking is good not sure if it really changed, running however if it's going to be this fast needs to really hit you in the calorie and fatigue pocket. Lets say if I run from one end to the other of Mystery Lake strait shot on ice I should be pretty puttered out by then.

v.103 Wolves very little threat

I know the running speed will likely just stay in now (I expect most players will prefer it as it makes the game a lot easier) -- but I find now I don't even care if I see wolves walking along the tracks or roads... I simply run past them.

Doing the spin around (running backwards) I can see them following briefly, but they get left behind so fast that they aren't even much of a concern now.

I don't even really worry much about weather now because I also know I can get from location A to location B so quickly now [just did full travel through blizzard without any problem or worries].

I still think this running speed would be best as an emergency Sprint mode [drop backpack and run] - like for escaping wolves.

Anyhow, will leave it to other player's thoughts when this version is released, but personally it does really take out a lot of the challenge for planning trips in the game.

Without having actually played this new development, I think running should come with a decent calorie cost, as well as significant fatigue cost after a certain point. On the other hand, running should keep you warm, since burning calories does just that: burn.

Archived