Ideas: crafting, tracking, carreing.

jurdglius

Hello. I have several Ideas about game. First I want to say thank you to Hinterland for TLD. It is really good game. I searched forum for short time to avoid posting same Idea. So here is my suggestions.

How about edding light conditions to crafting? For example one can not craft item, if it is dark, even in daytime. So one have to use light sources, like lantern or torch while crafting in darknes. plus level of brightnes shuld influance percentage of success.

What if tracking the pawprints and blood drops was a skill. It shuld be incrised depending on tracking time (following the track line). As level incrises, it allowes player to spot track more far. Longer and steeper. Allso I noticed, that tracks are not visible until player does not engage in fight or hunt with animal. It could help to avoid popping up just right behinde the bear back.

I think combinig carry weigt issue with carry space can be good. Clothing and different begs shuld offer different space volume and different objects enquires different space. It was menshioned before that low status of cloting and begs will trigger loss of random objects.

Whole weight part needs some serious tweaking.

Like clothing that player wears should lose 80% of its weight, due to fact that its spread, fairly evenly, across whole body and general feel is different if you have a coat in your back pack or on yourself.

Same goes for rifle/bow - who to frak carries it in a backpack. It wont even fit there. You carry those over your shoulder. Or at least in your hands. There should be just separate slot for it.

There should be more differences between clothing that take same spot. Currently wolf coat(body/chest area) is best that one may need. But what if manufactured items add to max carry weight due to availability of pockets. While player can add pockets to home-made garments, it would take additional time, resources and effort. Simple gloves vs mittens should affect rifle/bow sway, footwear affecting, slightly, amount of sound that player makes while moving and speed. Etc

Like clothing that player wears should lose 80% of its weight, due to fact that its spread, fairly evenly, across whole body and general feel is different if you have a coat in your back pack or on yourself.

Same goes for rifle/bow - who to frak carries it in a backpack. It wont even fit there. You carry those over your shoulder. Or at least in your hands. There should be just separate slot for it.

There should be more differences between clothing that take same spot. Currently wolf coat(body/chest area) is best that one may need. But what if manufactured items add to max carry weight due to availability of pockets. While player can add pockets to home-made garments, it would take additional time, resources and effort. Simple gloves vs mittens should affect rifle/bow sway, footwear affecting, slightly, amount of sound that player makes while moving and speed. Etc

It makes sense. But weight is the weight, if clothes and shoes weights 7 kg (and do not forget about the backpack, witch may be about 2-2.5 kg), that is it. But to raise a little the "total comfort weight" (may be up to 35 kg) will be great indeed.

As for big objects and slots for them - no one was insisted that they are in the backpack. They are in the inventory. Rifle is on the shoulder, the candy bar - maybe in the pocket, the knife and the hatchet - on the belt, i think.

I agree that unless clothing is EXTREMELY HEAVY (like a wool sweater soaking wet after you fell through thin ice)it's weight shouldn't be taken into account.

I disagree on the rifle. You absolutely notice that weight carrying it in-hand or on a strap across your back. In fact there is a term 'mountain rifle' which is about making a rifle weigh a few less pounds so it is easier to carry. People often pay extra for parts to be made of special materials that are light. This is because an extra kilogram of rifle weight makes a huge difference.

• 6 months later...
On 1/7/2016 at 6:08 PM, jurdglius said:

What if tracking the pawprints and blood drops was a skill. It shuld be incrised depending on tracking time (following the track line). As level incrises, it allowes player to spot track more far. Longer and steeper. Allso I noticed, that tracks are not visible until player does not engage in fight or hunt with animal. It could help to avoid popping up just right behinde the bear back.

I think combinig carry weigt issue with carry space can be good. Clothing and different begs shuld offer different space volume and different objects enquires different space. It was menshioned before that low status of cloting and begs will trigger loss of random objects.

Both ideas seem interesting to me. Strongly +1!

On 8.1.2016 at 1:28 PM, Dirmagnos said:

I like to give real-life examples, so I have one for you that basically confirms what I am saying. A little background on me: I am a weakling. Seriously. My arms look like matchsticks.

However, my general winter attire is close to clocking in at 12kg (including backpack, laptop, a bottle of soda and other things) and I wear/carry that without much issue.

Anecdotal evidence, yeah, but I thought people here might be interested in the fact that I actually weighed that stuff.

15 minutes ago, Wastelander said:

I like to give real-life examples, so I have one for you that basically confirms what I am saying. A little background on me: I am a weakling. Seriously. My arms look like matchsticks.

However, my general winter attire is close to clocking in at 12kg (including backpack, laptop, a bottle of soda and other things) and I wear/carry that without much issue.

Anecdotal evidence, yeah, but I thought people here might be interested in the fact that I actually weighed that stuff.

I`m rather a weakling to, my weight is no more 55 kilos. And when 12 kg is really easy to carry, when 20 - it becomes hard, resulting in serious change in walking speed, running becomes really slow and time before getting tired is shortening greatly.

It is not supposed for the long journey, right?

In game, not IRL, my universal travelling set weight about 20 kg (no rifle). I tried, but not succeeded to make it lighter. I`m rather a weakling to. My weight is no more 55 kg. As for me, while 12 kg is easy to carry, when it becomes 20 it becomes really hard.

Just now, Sly said:

It is not supposed for the long journey, right?

In game, not IRL, my universal travelling set weight about 20 kg (no rifle). I tried, but not succeeded to make it lighter. 8 kg difference. But it is a lot

Admittedly, that's for university, where the biggest threat is the subway failing. Also, I tend to eat heavily during the colder months so the snacks really do add up.

Keep in mind that you operate those numbers from position of comfort, not how much you could carry potentially if situation would warrant it, but how much you carry because its more comfortable this way. Especially considering that all perks and treats of civilization are removed from equation.

Archived