The Storm Lantern

Drifter Man

OWill anybody go and kill a bear to harvest fat to make a candle to be able to work at night?

Candles could be non-craftable items like a gas or canned food (but could be craftable also). It is naturally that one can find a bunch candles in the house, is not it? That idea was discussed on the forum couple of times as i remember.

Also I concur the other idea - to place some generators near some buildings, so players could harvest the fuel from them. And stows on the liquid fuel is a good idea, is not it?

You can just poke a hole into the lid of a can of tuna and stick a bit of cloth in it - et voila - you have your lamp. Obviously this needs to be tuna in oil. I think the game has sardines in oil, should work the same way. Once the oil is burned up, you can still eat the fish.

you can make an oil lamp out of a stick of butter. Stand it on the end and it's a lot like a candle.

These kinds of lamps/candles aren't really the same as the good old storm lantern. I think the game should have some stuff which doesn't have a crafted equivalent.

And there is always TORCH!

+1!

You can just poke a hole into the lid of a can of tuna and stick a bit of cloth in it - et voila - you have your lamp. Obviously this needs to be tuna in oil. I think the game has sardines in oil, should work the same way. Once the oil is burned up, you can still eat the fish.

Much more easy to say then to do it, as for me. Of course, it may be possible. But. It is a small amount of oil in the can (i am holding now one of the most "oilish" cans i ever saw - it is 28% of oil). The oil is not pure. It is not working well with the rough cloth IMHO, maybe with the cotton/wadding it will perform better.

So why to be such elaborated?

I think it is more practical to add candles to the game, again IMO.

So far I have been using the lantern only to provide light indoors when it is dark. More recently I have noticed that the lantern increases air temperature by 5°C, i.e. can help from freezing in bad weather more efficiently than a torch (4°C) or flare (3°C) - whether or not it is realistic is another issue. A fully loaded lantern - 1L of kerosene - lasts for 4 hours, but fuel is rare (if we ignore the item respawn bug). The lantern has a percentage status, but no noticeable degradation with time or use. Kerosene also has percentage status but again, I have not observed any significant degradation over time.

Bonuses are too big, as for me. I think that big bonus to temperature balance while running is more realistic.

1) Complex activities like crafting, cleaning, sharpening, repair, harvesting are currently possible even in complete darkness. I think this should change. Ideally the efficiency should depend on the lighting conditions, but this would result in variable crafting times. Simpler suggestion: the activity stops when daylight runs out. In order to continue, a lightsource (lantern or campfire) must be placed nearby.

This would stop people from working at night for long hours. Which is probably the way it should be.

+1

I agree that certain activities shouldn't be possible in the dark, and by dark, I mean inside a building where you literally cannot see anything, or barely anything. Assuming you have your brightness set appropriately. People have used the brightness setting in games as an exploit to see in dark areas since the dawn of time (exaggeration), but nothing can really be done about that...

The only issue is, fuel can be a very limited resource, so finding alternative ways to light shelters might be an interesting idea. (there exists such a thing.... it is known as the candle, and it is mighty) :)

+1

• 4 weeks later...
You don't appear to be able to remove the fuel from lanterns, i.e. if you come across one that is in poor condition it would be good to be able to empty it of fuel to use in the lantern you are using.

I think you can. If you harvest a storm lantern and you have another storm lantern or fuel can in your inventory than the fuel from the harvested lantern will relocate to the other lantern or fuel can in your inventory.

You don't appear to be able to remove the fuel from lanterns, i.e. if you come across one that is in poor condition it would be good to be able to empty it of fuel to use in the lantern you are using.

I think you can. If you harvest a storm lantern and you have another storm lantern or fuel can in your inventory than the fuel from the harvested lantern will relocate to the other lantern or fuel can in your inventory.

That's right. You only need to have enough free capacity for kerosene in your backpack (in lanterns, kerosene bottles or cans) and the fuel from the harvested lantern will go there. Any fuel above that free capacity, however, will be lost.

• 1 month later...

The whole reason that this post was started is due to the fact that lantern fuel should be alot more common than it currently is. to be honest if you were to find an abandoned gas station that had a kerosene tank you would have a fuel source of hundreds of gallons that would supply a single survivor a nearly limitless supply or at least a few years worth of fuel (of course they would need to make multiple trips to refill their portable jerry can.). additionally most kerosene powered camping tools such as lanterns and stoves can be run on gasoline in an emergency and with all the abandoned cars there should be a option to harvest fuel from them for use in the storm lantern

9 hours ago, Mikeloeven said:

The whole reason that this post was started is due to the fact that lantern fuel should be alot more common than it currently is.

Actually, this wasn't my original idea, although I agree that in reality in a similar setting, various kinds of fuel would probably be more abundant than they are in TLD. The purpose of my original post was that some sort of lighting should be required for crafting and repair at night/in darkness and that the lantern could be used to that end. I'm not asking for more fuel in the game.

It's about game balance!

Add to much fuel found could make fire torches redundant. so not a good idea.

Maybe as mentioned in lot of other wish list game addition posts - suggest other small additions such as candles, that sounds like a good idea.

On 1/31/2016 at 11:57 PM, PieEater said:

I'm pretty sure if you pickup two lanterns you can harvest one and the fuel will go to the other. you also get a bit of metal. so basically you trash one lantern to transfer fuel and make the other better. If you want to keep both then just find the alternative to refuel them.

4 hours ago, nicko said:

I'm pretty sure if you pickup two lanterns you can harvest one and the fuel will go to the other. you also get a bit of metal. so basically you trash one lantern to transfer fuel and make the other better. If you want to keep both then just find the large fuel cans to refuel them.

Yes, if you have two lanterns in your inventory and harvest one of them, the fuel will be added to the remaining lantern. :lamp:

--Patrick

10 hours ago, nicko said:

It's about game balance!

Add to much fuel found could make fire torches redundant. so not a good idea.

Maybe as mentioned in lot of other wish list game addition posts - suggest other small additions such as candles, that sounds like a good idea.

I have to disagree even if there is a pseudo infinite fuel source in a gas station the player will still need to travel their every so often to refill their cans. for example if the only location of one of these large fuel tanks would be the service station on coastal highway than the ballance is in surviving the trip to and from this area while carying enough to create a stockpile at your chosen house

once again if resources are finite than it is a game of attrition not a true survival game. the balance is implemented by the location of resources and difficulty in obtaining them

• 2 weeks later...
On January 2, 2016 at 3:58 PM, Soul Sojourner said:

I agree that certain activities shouldn't be possible in the dark, and by dark, I mean inside a building where you literally cannot see anything, or barely anything. Assuming you have your brightness set appropriately. People have used the brightness setting in games as an exploit to see in dark areas since the dawn of time (exaggeration), but nothing can really be done about that...

The only issue is, fuel can be a very limited resource, so finding alternative ways to light shelters might be an interesting idea. (there exists such a thing.... it is known as the candle, and it is mighty) :)

Although, I don't think it's in-ordinary to sharpen a knife with a whetstone in bed, however, cleaning a rifle should be out of the question. Too many objects to handle and need to see.

I could offer some more perspective on this, but I want to see other opinions and ideas.

I think someone else had mentioned these before but candles come to mind as a logical alternative source of light indoors to mend clothing and equipment by.

On 1/2/2016 at 1:09 AM, Xantar said:

300ml isn't a fair price.

1) Right now, I can see in the dark. I spend half of my night fixing clothes or making stuffs.

2) -

3) Fuel degrades in real life, but the chance of it being not flammable in your lifetime is nonexistence. They might evaporates if not sealed properly, thus losing volume.

the degradation in rl is actually more of a problem with small parts breaking down into water which then allows bacteria and other organics thingyabobs to grow which then causes things to gum up - so maybe if degredation were to be a real factor have it reduce the condition of laterns?

Archived