Sea to Summit New Years Challenge!!

cowboymrh

This challenge is so addictive... I gave it one last try (at least I hope so!^^) and made it in 1d 9h 18m this time. Best thing is I finally have only two journal entries and can thus post all screenshots in the same message! :lol:

Was a pretty smooth run this time, both regarding wolves and weather. A bit foggy, but also pretty warm. Found plenty of coffee on my way to the summit (3x5 portions in CH, 6x5 in echo ravine), but lacked a bit on my way back to the lighthouse (only 3x5 portions in the plane wreck). Just enough to get along without sleeping, I guess.

By the way, I really start to believe the best weather for this challenge is fog (it's pretty warm during fogs and - even more important - no darn headwind can slow you down. Fog also adds some excitenment as both avoiding wolves and finding your way is a little harder). :)

I have to agree with you that fog makes for the best wind conditions and wildlife fucking off. The advantage for fog though squarely lies with those who have more experience with the geography of the game though. I've had to reference maps several times on Timberwolf Mountain because it is such an advanced level map I don't have much experience there beyond Crystal Lake area. But congrats on your new time.

I look forward to a new challenge where it is based more on critical thinking and less on the geography.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After this, why not a little longer challenge? Start in the Lighthouse, but we have to pass on a few landmarks, I suggest the following:

Hibernia Processing

Jackrabbit Island.

Quonset Gas Station

Carter Hidro Dam

Mystery Lake

Trappers Cabin

Forestry Lookout

Farmstead House

Summit

And back to Lighthouse

This could be done in any order, and we have to finish with at least one of each pelt in the inventory, a bear, a wolf, a rabbit and a deer...

I think this is challenging, but will take some time...

Not hijacking the thread, just saying this because I really love your challenge, it added a new meaning to the game.

What do you think, Cowboymrh?

I was thinking a similar thing, still requiring a time turn in but also a scavenger hunt of sorts as well as a production run of materials. I like the idea of taking the animal pelts, but I'd also like to see 5gal of water boiled at the end point of the journey in inventory for the final picture and an assemblage of scavenger items, 40 cans of soda in a photo. Something that would take a week to put together in additon to the geography run.

I am making another attempt having found the coffee store finally in TM and understanding the trip at least I think I understand it. Now that I've found this much coffee I think I can get this down to under 2 days too. Be that the case I think this challenge while dangerous is mostly about keeping moving and not getting caught in a blizzard.

After this, why not a little longer challenge?

Personally I find the challenge posted in this thread already long enough, even too long, because you need a good portion of luck and how much luck you have is mainly depending on coffee in CH and weather. The longer the challenge the more luck is needed.

So if we are speaking about new challenges, I'd like to participate in a challenge that needs the least amount of luck possible, like not depending on a specific loot item (coffee) or weather. A challenge that pops to mind (and was already posted, I think on reddit?) is the "survive the longest without entering a single building" challenge. With the new log and stats information we can form all sort of challenges, like:

Survive the longest in Stalker without entering a building and not sleeping for more than 1/3rd of the time, if your hours awake are 60 your hours rested must not be higher than 20. You can easily expand the rules like:

- no gun and or bow shots fired

- limited to only a specific map

- no wolfs killed

virutally everything the Detailed Stats View provides infos for.

Don't get me wrong, I had a blast with the Summit race challenge but it had little to nothing to do with how I usually play TLD. That's why I'd love to see the next challenge to drive the principle of sandbox play into extremes without completely turning them over (e.g not resting, not looting, no crafting, only living of coffee and so on).

The reason I haven't posted such a challenge myself is a) because there is already a challenge going on and b) I think there should be only one finite variation of this challenge with a set of criteria many can agree on to be hard (the hardest) without being impossible, I'd call it the Ultimate Survival Challenge and it should deserve this name :D Anyone else keen to participate in such a challenge?

The reason I haven't posted such a challenge myself is a) because there is already a challenge going on and b) I think there should be only one finite variation of this challenge with a set of criteria many can agree on to be hard (the hardest) without being impossible, I'd call it the Ultimate Survival Challenge and it should deserve this name :D Anyone else keen to participate in such a challenge?

Sure, count me in. But this would be an entirely different challenge and should thus better be talked about in a separate thread, I guess. One would also have to define very thoroughly what "interior" means. If sleeping in the various non-loading-screen, but still +0°C PV caves was allowed for example, the challenge would be a whole lot easier (and people would thus survive way longer) than if that was forbidden. To a lesser extent the same is also true for the crystal lake hut in TWM, the fishing shacks in CH, the hay barns in PV & ML and so on. And I have absolutely no idea whether the game tracks all these structures as interiors in the statistics overview.^^

I personally would also love deliberate choices to be relevant for your success in such a challenge. One could achieve that by adding a looting limit for items, for example. You might e.g. only be allowed to pick up 5 items in total and would have to choose very thoroughly which ones that would be. (Only man-made items would count ofc. Natural stuff like sticks, cattail stalks, meat, etc. might be picked up without any limit).

Well I tried it I give up. After 14 attempts I either get fucked by wolves, fog, cold, or terrible starts. Surprisingly it isn't the wolves that are pissing me off but the fog. I've had several really good runs spoiled by not knowing where the fuck I am on the mountain and missing turns and well its a well crafted map but it just isn't that interesting to me because having played it nobody would actually go there if there in this game and trying to live. There are just too many risks, not enough reward and there can't be. I mean what could you possibly need or want from there so badly to risk it? I don't know. Sure its fun and all but for me the game needs to be closer to real than closer to arcade and Timberwolf Mountain with the climbing dynamics lack of shelters, and pointless rolling space is just one place I'd never go.

Every other map has a good mix of things and offers a specific positive that players can take away from. DP offers the forge, and lots of scrap metal, Pleasant Valley, lots of wide open spaces with good hunting areas without wolf interference, as well as excellent cloth harvesting. Mystery Lake, offers condensed resources, everything is within 8 hours hike from any spot on the map. Even the transition zones offer resources and fair risk for the rewards. Timeberwolf has free food and as an advanced place to harvest the free kills that show up on Crystal Lake or the relative closeness of the bears I'd be all for a few weeks vacation there however this is all available on Mystery Lake and without the weather risks and without the fall risks.

As far as this challenge. I salute those of you who have beaten it. I know if I continue to try I could too. I have invested 14 attempts I feel like I've wasted 20 hours on the game instead of enjoying the time in game. That is bad news for me as I really liked TLD early Alphas.

I FINALLY made a time! :P 2 Days, 19 Hours, 12 Minutes! Took me about 10 attempts! LOL

So, taking the best time for each player, the current leader board is:

1. Scyzara ............................... 1 Day, 9 Hours, 18 minutes

2. Selfless ............................... 1 Day, 16 Hours, 42 minutes

3. Romerabr ............................... 1 Day, 22 hours, 6 minutes

4. Trashmobb .............................. 2 Days, 11 hours, 49 minutes

5. Cowboymrh .............................2 Days, 19 Hours, 12 minutes

6. Chillplayer .............................. 3 days, 2 hours, 1 minute

7. Pausenclows .......................... 3 days, 7 hours, 36 minutes

If I made any mistakes or left anyone out...let me know ;)

Hi there after watching ThresholdSeven on Twitch attempting this challenge I decided am gonna give it a try so here it is: 1 Day 10 Hours 41 Minutes this is my second attempt I have to say there is few thing that I learn and could do better, weather was a bit of a pain in this run starting 9 fires to warm myself and wind in my face was not helping at all but finding 3x5 tin of coffee in one CH house was jackpot

d6Sg2BM.jpg

4z71cCy.jpg

GSxUbqW.jpg

IdZsV48.jpg

Wow.... Nice run Houston ..... I'll bet those 27 close wolf encounters kept you on your toes!! LOL

Current Leader Board

2. HoustonWebster ..................... 1 Day, 10 Hours, 41 Minutes

3. Selfless ............................... 1 Day, 16 Hours, 42 minutes

4. Romerabr ............................... 1 Day, 22 hours, 6 minutes

5. Trashmobb .............................. 2 Days, 11 hours, 49 minutes

6. Cowboymrh .............................2 Days, 19 Hours, 12 minutes

7. Chillplayer .............................. 3 days, 2 hours, 1 minute

8. Pausenclows .......................... 3 days, 7 hours, 36 minutes

This is the first challenge I've ever tried other than experimenting with surviving with nothing but a magnifying glass and a few rabbit traps. The Sea to Summit Challenge has been really fun and I might give it a few more tries. This has also made me excited for new challenges.

After 3 failed attempts I finally clocked a time of 2 Days 21 Hours 58 mins.

The first attempt I froze trying to find the first rope in TM in the dark. Second I fell to my death from said rope. Third I finally made it to the tail section where I promptly froze to death. The forth attempt I finally completed the challenge leaving a wake of murdered animals.

I'm glad I made it in under three days even though I made some big mistakes, mainly forgetting to get a hacksaw and not realizing until I was at the coffee locker and having to backtrack all the way to the hut. The weather was horrible most of the time, I was attacked by wolves but shot a bunch too, and a couple deer and possibly a few bunnies that might have been rabid. It took about 4 hours real time. Here's a link to the twitch archive if anyone is interested in watching me suffer.

http://www.twitch.tv/thresholdseven/v/36384253

Congrats to anyone for completing this challenge as even a score under 4 or 5 days can't be easy. Just over 1 day is crazy fast. I would love to see a stream of some of the top placers.

Tried again and completed the challenge. This was my 4th attempt.

2 Days, 2 hrs, 41 mins.

I only slept for 2 hrs in this one....both 1 hr warm up sleeps. I really don't know where I could have found the other 17 hrs to catch Scyzara, but I nearly caught the number 4 spot.

Leader Board Update:

4. Romerabr ............................... 1 Day, 22 hours, 6 minutes

5. Trashmobb .............................. 2 Days, 2 hours, 41 minutes

6. Cowboymrh .............................2 Days, 19 Hours, 12 minutes

7. ThresholdSeven ......................... 2 Days, 21 Hours, 58 Minutes

8. Chillplayer .............................. 3 days, 2 hours, 1 minute

9. Pausenclows .......................... 3 days, 7 hours, 36 minutes

Patrick!! Bethany!!! Where's your times!!??!! Common Hinterlands Team! Let's get crackin!! He He!! :D

Only 10 more days to claim "King/Queen of the Mountain"!!

I tried the challenge again and this time I made it in 1d 18h 56m with some luck in the beginning but only 6 coffee in townside CH. I was streaming the run and with way too few coffee in my backpack, Scyzara told me to start over :lol: Good thing I didn't for the weather god was on my side for once, only 5-600m headwind and no blizzards. On the way back though things became tricky, I had to outrun 3(!) wolfs around abandoned lookout, only to almost run into a bear (like 10m away) near the four huts. Fortunately I was so pumped with the coffee I found at the tail section that I could outrun it too. Lastly two wolves were blocking the road to the lighthouse, which I only saw after I fired a shot into the air, having an intuition that they might be around.

All in all I am satisfied with this run and probably leave it now for good. Thanks to the OP for creating this thread and also keeping track of the stats ;)

0OqqHVU.jpg

QZh0N07.jpg

mIgqNtg.jpg

PG3KbTU.jpg

ukJHdsx.jpg

yyvOAc8.jpg

Great Job ChillPlayer!! Very Nice time!

Leader Board Update:

4. ChillPlayer .............................. 1 Day, 18 Hours, 56 Minutes

5. Romerabr ............................... 1 Day, 22 hours, 6 minutes

6. Trashmobb .............................. 2 Days, 2 hours, 41 minutes

7. Cowboymrh .............................2 Days, 19 Hours, 12 minutes

8. ThresholdSeven ......................... 2 Days, 21 Hours, 58 Minutes

9. Pausenclows .......................... 3 days, 7 hours, 36 minutes

Even though the actual "challenge" ends in 10 days........ I'll probably leave up the leader board for all who want to give it a try even after the challenge ends.

Great challenge and awesome times, guys! I have tried it too, but I don't know timberwolf mountain well enough to make my way around with closed eyes. ;) Also I was pretty unlucky with the weather the last two times. And I really need to stop wasting away, in the house by the crystal lake, which is pretty deadly, if you haven't found good clothes yet. :|

For those of you who would like to try the challenge in a different difficulty mode, ........ please do!!

I will keep a separate leader board for each difficulty level. When you post a time, please let me know what difficulty mode you are playing or include your "death page" screenshot which shows the difficulty mode.

Please forgive me for not doing this in the beginning. It was not my intention to discourage newer players from participating by making it Stalker Mode only.

Kindly, those of you who have posted a time in Stalker Mode, may not move down to a lower difficulty level. Certainly, you can try it on your own, but the lower Leader Boards are for newer players. ;) Thanks

And Thanks Scyzara, your "any difficulty mode" challenge made me realize this challenge can also be done in any difficulty mode for all players! :P

Leader Board Update: Stalker Mode

1. Scyzara ................................. 1 Day, 9 Hours, 18 minutes

2. HoustonWebster ....................... 1 Day, 10 Hours, 41 Minutes

3. Selfless .................................. 1 Day, 16 Hours, 42 minutes

4. ChillPlayer ............................... 1 Day, 18 Hours, 56 Minutes

5. Romerabr ............................... 1 Day, 22 hours, 6 minutes

6. Trashmobb .............................. 2 Days, 2 hours, 41 minutes

7. Cowboymrh ..............................2 Days, 19 Hours, 12 minutes

8. ThresholdSeven ......................... 2 Days, 21 Hours, 58 Minutes

9. Pausenclows ............................. 3 days, 7 hours, 36 minutes

10. ............................................Waiting for your time

Leader Board Update: Voyager Mode