Sea to Summit New Years Challenge!!

cowboymrh

Wow, my hats off to all three of you making that round trip so fast!!

I can tell I've got alot to learn yet!! LOL

Current Leaderboard:

Player: ....................................Time:

Selfless ........................... 2 Days 8 Hours 47 Minutes

Scyzara ......................... 3 Days 4 Hours 51 Minutes

Pausenclaws .................... 3 Days 7 Hours 36 Minutes

Wow, nice work. And fast, too. Sort of like a Reinhold Messner, "alpine style" attempt. I'll have to try this...

--Patrick

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, finally got lucky regarding both coffee & weather. Didn't sleep at all and made it in 1d 11h 17m this time. Guess I personally can't do much better.^^

Was a really exciting run this time - got jumped by the darn ravine wolf despite my campfire on the way to the summit and had to cross all of PV, CH and DP in thick fog on my way back to the lighthouse. Hell was I afraid to get jumped and killed by another ninja wolf there. :lol:

PS:

What on earth does this game count as "day"? Still got 3 Journal diary entries even though my playing time was less than 1.5 days. Started the game at 5h of daylight left and finished at 5 hours of darkness left. x-x''

5h day-> 10h night -> 14h day -> 5h night. Does the Journal count midnight-midnight as a "day" or what's up here? :?

56ce26b0577ae_day3.thumb.jpg.7a9853a39b8

56ce26b3afd46_day2.thumb.jpg.ea83ef8ab05

56ce26b714a46_day1.thumb.jpg.8253889d53b

56ce26baaf3cd_finishlighthouse.thumb.jpg

Scyzara..... I think when your journal fills up with places visited, it moves to the next journal page.

Don't think anyone expected someone to cover so much ground so fast!! LOL

Those last 2 times were just rediculously fast!!

Now that I'm done with my year end paperwork, gonna get serious about this challenge!!

I'm hoping to break 5 days!! LOL

Current Leaderboard:

Player: .............................. Time:

1. Scyzara ............................... 1 Day, 11 Hours, 17 minutes

2. Scyzara ............................... 1 Day, 17 Hours, 42 minutes

3. Selfless ............................... 2 Days, 8 hours, 47 minutes

4. Scyzara .............................. 3 Days, 4 hours, 51 minutes

5. Pausenclows .......................... 3 days, 7 hours, 36 minutes

PS:

What on earth does this game count as "day"? Still got 3 Journal diary entries even though my playing time was less than 1.5 days. Started the game at 5h of daylight left and finished at 5 hours of darkness left. x-x''

5h day-> 10h night -> 14h day -> 5h night. Does the Journal count midnight-midnight as a "day" or what's up here? :?

It might be that.

Scyzara..... I think when your journal fills up with places visited, it moves to the next journal page.

There is scrollbar in the Journal.

Well, I've made 3 attempts now and can't catch a break. Either I can't find enough warm clothing, get caught in blizzards that I freeze in, or can't move in, or both.

Also, If you don't spawn right at first light, you're at a huge disadvantage.

Figures.... I create the challenge ....... and am having such a hard time. LOL

So far, my best time from the lighthouse to the Mountaineers hut is 2 days!

Gonna keep trying! :) I'm bound and determined to get on the leader board....even if I'm in last place!

I'm trying this challenge since last friday and it's really though but also depending on your luck with weather and loot. I haven't clocked a time because I haven't finished a run yet, yesterday I came very close to clock a time below 3 days but then got eaten by two(!) wolves on the way down at 2d 2h. It still was my best run so far and here's what I figured out, with some help of Scyzara:

1. Don't bother looting DP, go straight for CH. Depending of where I spawn I still can't resist to get the free rifle from Processing and end up looting the whole place but you lose time and get more tired, hungry and so on. The weather can change in that hour or two too, making the hike out of DP much harder (when I spawn in bad weather I start anew).

2. The single most important item you cannot have enough of is coffee. You might get some in DP if you're lucky but the place to stock up on coffee is first CH Townsite. If you are willing to spend 4-5 hours sleeping and have some herbal tea to regain your 100% condition, 5 coffees are enough to get to the next important stop, 10-15 are preferable. The goal is to reach Echo Ravine and loot the coffee container that'll give you 20-30 more coffee. Boil at least 15-20 of it and never go back to sleep until you reached the summit and are back to the lighthouse.

3. that's the theory I try to implement. In practice my biggest obstacle to success is weather, in particular freezing. I try to make my trip via as many "loading" buildings and caves as possible but still, that's what kills me in the end or forces me to sleep and regain condition. By far the most time I've lost in all my runs is by sleeping after freezing. I haven't found a satisfactory solution to this problem yet other than praying for loot luck and get a premium wintercoat, some insulated boots, cargo pans and mittens and that I won't have to run for long against the wind, which by itself killed many attempts.

4. So luck is a factor if you are going for the best time. I decided for myself that I'm not going to try this, Scyzara is God :D To have my ego still intact though I need to make it at least under 3 days or die trying (the latter I have become quite good in :lol:), luckily there are still 17 days left.

Im in :)

This is tough not getting lost at nite. Oh man this challenge is fucked lol.

Well as much fun as this has been... I'm pulling out. I've had enough frustration with the wolves. My last run I made it all the way from DP to TM in under 16 hours and it was looking really good and then a poor climb, and WOLVES WOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVESWOLVES

and more W's

By a great and vast majority of games played I've died At least 75% are all deaths by Wolves. It doesn't matter if its on Voyageur or Stalker. I don't want invest a good dozen hours playing a 60 or 90 day run, and get really well setup only to know it more likely and more likely and more likely every day damn day to end with a BS wolf attack that I either stupid step into on accident because they are ninjas, or that I failed to avoid.

So yeah I've had enough. Games are supposed to feel good and fun to play. Challenge yes but TLD evidently is comfortable with the Wolf mechanics and I'm not the kind of player who appreciates it anymore. I guess I'll join the ranks of the dozens of players with a few hundred hours who simply have had enough of the wolves. I'm out. Peace :)

Current Leaderboard:

Player: .............................. Time:

1. Scyzara ............................... 1 Day, 11 Hours, 17 minutes

2. Scyzara ............................... 1 Day, 17 Hours, 42 minutes

3. Selfless ............................... 2 Days, 8 hours, 47 minutes

4. Scyzara .............................. 3 Days, 4 hours, 51 minutes

5. Pausenclows .......................... 3 days, 7 hours, 36 minutes

6. Trashmobb .......................... 3 days, 13 hrs. 4 minutes

GJ Trashmobb! Nice time!

Common folks!! give it a try!!

I keep trying.... but can't get a decent start.

No idea what you're talking about. I haven't cheated in any of my three runs and posted all diary entries as proof. I didn't use old saves, all three runs were in newly started games (see journal and statistics screenshots). And the only bunker I ever entered in any of the runs is the one between PV and TWM.

I was absolutely teasing. Congratulations on your runs. It is quiet the challenge with the various factors, weather &wildlife definitely the worst in my opinion.

I've yet to complete it and I don't know TW well so I might not be able to by end of January.

I dont understand what about climbing I'm not doing right but even with 15-20lbs of total weight my character climbs like the fat kid in gym class and can't get the up the damn rope. Feel like Hinterland has the difficult of climbing a rope over done anyway because people climb Everest and are plenty tired when they do but they still get their fat asses up there too. What am I missing here? These ropes are only about 50 feet long and climbing 50 feet should take about 1-2 minutes. I don't know that you could climb all day long but certainly an average person could climb twice 50ft twice without sleeping a full 8 hours in between so what is the secret?

1. check your fatique, if your max weight number is already red you will drain your stamina very quickly and fall to your death. Always sleep well or drink enough coffee before climbing.

2. there are ledges you can move onto while climbing, you will notice the white dot of the HUD appearing and when you stop climbing you can swing the camera over to the ledge, click on it and rest.

But I haven't found a robe yet I couldn't climb fully without the use of a ledge when I was near 100% rested, so that's the key.

Tried the no-sleep challenge, didn't make it. 1 hour of sleep taken ;) 1 Day 16 Hours 42 Minutes. Might have been faster, but I got lost in a blizzard and walked off a cliff in the dark :o Limped in with 7% health remaining.

For those who need help climbing: Fatigue is the key. Climbing with a full fatigue bar is quick and easy. Starting a climb with a near empty fatigue bar => failure.

For those who need help staying warm: Hmmm... if only there were some kind of portable thing that gave of heat that one could carry in their hand... what would that look like? Still, stopping often to warm back up is critical.

Finally did it in 3 days 2 hours and 1 minute with 13% condition left and a wolf chasing after me. A stupid mistake cost me at least 10-15 hours on the way up after Echo Ravin: I've eaten too much, I was at 2500 cal. Problem with this is, if you are full and drink coffee, you don't regen stamina. That was an interesting twist, for once I wanted to waste cals as quickly as possible but it wasn't enough, a coffe gives you 100 cals back and you need 5-6 coffee to recover. That ment spending more time outside than I planned, getting more freezing and so on.

I still was on track to reach the lighouse under 3 days but then in CH a blizzard spoiled the fun for me when I was on the frozen sea, circumventing Townside - or so I thought because out of a sudden I found myself at Logsort. I had to sleep there because my condition was already down to 7%. Got it back to 14%, blizzard was still going on and I headed to Townside now for real, slept in the gas station again from 9% to 18% and then made one long run for DP, only to run almost into a wolf lol.

It was a hell of a ride and I'm glad it's over now :D

Maybe cowboymrh will postpone the end of the challenge to 2017 to give you a chance to finish it in time if you ask him kindly! *teasing as well* ;)

LOL I'm having a hard enough time........ Had a 4 day, 13 minute run end "in sight of the lighthouse"!!!!

Tried to outrun the wolves and guess who won!! LOL I literally died beside the car going onto the lighthouse road!!! AAAARRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!!! :o

Have another run started...... 2 days, 5 hours, and on the last rope to the top. If I can just get up there, I have a chance to beat 3 days.

This challenge is so addictive... I gave it one last try (at least I hope so!^^) and made it in 1d 9h 18m this time. Best thing is I finally have only two journal entries and can thus post all screenshots in the same message! :lol:

Was a pretty smooth run this time, both regarding wolves and weather. A bit foggy, but also pretty warm. Found plenty of coffee on my way to the summit (3x5 portions in CH, 6x5 in echo ravine), but lacked a bit on my way back to the lighthouse (only 3x5 portions in the plane wreck). Just enough to get along without sleeping, I guess.

By the way, I really start to believe the best weather for this challenge is fog (it's pretty warm during fogs and - even more important - no darn headwind can slow you down. Fog also adds some excitenment as both avoiding wolves and finding your way is a little harder). :)

statistics.thumb.jpg.aeb8c59cbbe9d79668d

56ce26e668133_day2.thumb.jpg.544d9889601

56ce26ea83c2c_day1.thumb.jpg.b9b61f04271

56ce26eddce8c_finishlighthouse.thumb.jpg

The thing about it is this is so much based on luck due to weather and the stuff you pop. Maybe after this challenge we could come up with a different deeper challenge with more conditions that would take about a week.

I thought the same thing and have been working on one. Will be posting it soon.

Archived