The dam(n) wolf

TarjaS

There really needs to be some variation/randomization in this situation. I have managed to kill the wolf only once and what that has resulted in is that I have begun to avoid the dam at all costs, except when I spawn right next to it (and then it's just "go in, get killed, start again somewhere else"). At one time, I was starving, freezing and encumbered and still chose to walk to the Camp Office rather than to the dam, which was a lot closer.

It has gone from a safe haven to a place of absolutely last resort, because I know the chance of getting killed there is about 99%. Even when I have a rifle, that damn thing is so fast I have no time to react when it appears. Maybe if there will be an alternative to the mechanic of fighting the wolves, the odds will become better, but as it is now, I just don't go there unless I've been everywhere else and the only other option is to die anyway (I guess you could call it "suicide by the wolf").

I go prepared with the rifle, I know he is coming from downstairs, I place a lantern in the middle of the locker room, edge into the control room and simply wait for him to come up. He has become a source and of meat and leather for me guaranteed when i go to the dam, not a threat.

Actually, what people are saying here reflect the other problem with the wolf: you know it's there before you have even been inside the building. You shouldn't know it's there, unless you've already been at the dam once during the same life, discovered it and escaped alive to come back later better equipped. Randomization would provide a surprise factor to the situation.

Randomly having Fluffy there or Fluffy not there is one thing I've mentioned and hope they do. Dam is terrifying now -- even more so when you're waiting, afraid of every sound because you're not absolutely positive if Fluffy is gonna jump out or not.

Maybe even in a different spawn spot upstairs occasionally. :twisted:

Actually, what people are saying here reflect the other problem with the wolf: you know it's there before you have even been inside the building.

I completely agree.

So I know the wolf is in the dam... and I know where to get bullets... so I get the bullets before I go to the dam. And the game starts becoming linear. First go here and get this, then go there and get that. And my success in the game depends less on my choices, and a predetermined path starts developing.

There are other places where I know there are wolves; however, the effect isn't the same. The derailment. Mystery Lake. I can see them from a distance, so I can choose how to handle them based on what gear I already have: I can go around them, I can attack them; I can go somewhere else. I have choices, and my choices have consequences.

In terms of difficulty, I think the dam(n) wolf raises the difficulty bar a lot more for first time players than for experienced players. And TLD already has a pretty high entry barrier.

That's my two cents, anyway.

I'll just add my bit here and agree that the wolf should be randomized to prevent linear play in sandbox mode.

And yes, I do find the wolf difficult. I ended my best run on the game in the dam, even though I thought I was totally prepared for the wolf. But I think having the (possibility) of it being present makes the dam a lot more exciting and that's worth the danger/frustration.

I am having a hard time with the wolf too. It surely adds to the excitement, but when people learn how to do it, it becomes linear memorization, and just a "thing you do". Randomization would add even more excitement on multiple playthroughs.

I also wish the wolves elsewhere would be less predicable in their patterns but that's another discussion :)

From the v.103 changelist:

Some wildlife spawns are now more random.

:)

Next thing you know, a wolf is eating the Camp office corpse. That would be neat

LOL I will never feel safe going into the Office again.

"How did that b*stard get in there!" :shock:

Now that Alan said it I did actually play and get into the Dam yesterday and there was no wolf :)

Archived