Sweat and hypothermia modeling?

Fearsclave

So something that I've noticed in several gameplay vids is that some people seem to run a lot. As anybody with any experience in winter survival knows, over exertion in the cold can be fatal: your clothes get soaked with sweat, which can actually freeze up and eventually kill you.

Does your condition start dropping faster in the cold after you stop exercising to reflect this? if not would there be any interest in reflecting this in later releases?

Also, I was wondering whether there's any intent to model the mental impact of hypothermia; disorientation, decreased judgment and cognitive skills? Having some mechanism that reflects this somehow as the player gets increasingly hypothermic might be fun (at least for certain values of the term).

Having some mechanism that reflects this somehow as the player gets increasingly hypothermic might be fun (at least for certain values of the term).

Fun may not be the right word for it, but I think it's an interesting idea. A bit like in Amnesia: Dark Descent where your sanity starts going in the dark (that was a scary experience), except in this case it would be cold doing its tricks on you. Much of it could probably be done by tweaking the probabilities, like starting a fire would be harder because of decreased fine motor skills.

Having some mechanism that reflects this somehow as the player gets increasingly hypothermic might be fun (at least for certain values of the term).

Fun may not be the right word for it, but I think it's an interesting idea. A bit like in Amnesia: Dark Descent where your sanity starts going in the dark (that was a scary experience), except in this case it would be cold doing its tricks on you. Much of it could probably be done by tweaking the probabilities, like starting a fire would be harder because of decreased fine motor skills.

Haven't played that game personally, but what you describe makes sense. Certainly, when your hands start gettin cold your dexterity goes to pot...

• 4 weeks later...
Certainly, when your hands start gettin cold your dexterity goes to pot...

It'd be cool if your cold-factor started to decrease your skill modifiers. Things might take a little longer and the quality of your work becomes degraded. Seems like a simple way to implement it into the game.

Archived