What life skills have you got that you think will be a asset

I know what it's like to live in a place where outside temperature can be -40°C or lower for long periods of time, although we don't get it as bad as in Siberia, Alaska or the northern parts of Canada, thanks to the Gulf stream. Actually, the place where I currently live is so near the coast that winters rarely get that cold. As a child, I lived inland and winters were considerably colder and snowier there, even though it was about 300 km south from here.

I know about food you can find in the forest, but obviously, plant life varies even in different northern regions. I have never hunted, but I can fish and also clean and prepare what I've caught (learned all that as a child and once got mistaken as a boy because of it).

I hate cross-country skiing, but I can do it, if I must. Other useful stuff learned in school PE classes is orienteering and although a compass wouldn't be of much use in the scenario, ability to read a topographical map could be.

I can dislocate my shoulder and put it back in without almost any pain. THAT MUST COUNT RIGHT??

You would be surprised how this could be helpful to yourself. You still have to get yourself out of the plane wreckage when you crash. So don't right it off. You might be the only one that survives, because once you wake from being knocked out and you find your arm caught, the only way to get out is break your arm, YOU WIN :)

Im liking what i see here, and good to see people actually thinking and questioning themselves . . Keep it coming.

Well breaking and dislocating is a bit different but I see what you mean! I have plenty of issues as well though, my left ribs are fuzed together, my heart is in a fully vertical position, my bladder pressure is weak and I have shit stamina.

So dislocating my bones can be useful but only for the moment :P

I've been to a week long survival school, so I'm just confident enough to get myself into trouble ;)

I've also done plenty of camping, and tried the whole minimalist approach several times... which means I've definitely spent many a night shivering, getting up to do jumping jacks, and praying for the sun to rise. Hopefully there's a jumping jack button in the game!! :)

Well breaking and dislocating is a bit different but I see what you mean! I have plenty of issues as well though, my left ribs are fuzed together, my heart is in a fully vertical position, my bladder pressure is weak and I have shit stamina.

So dislocating my bones can be useful but only for the moment :P

Yup, i meant Break to = Dislocate, you got me ;P

I can just imagine the energy that would drain from you for that time trying to get it back in. I have had to put a mates back in one day, and he talked me through it, but basically,he felt where it was out, then he screamed as he straightened his arm as much as he could, and I just pulled down in one hard jerking movement, and he swore and cursed more, grabbed his shoulder with his left hand and did the rest.

He turned white, went down on one knee for about 30 sec's, stood straight up, asked me for a durrie, and we was on our way.

All he did was got out of the Dozer, and lost his footing coming down the embankment and then put his arm out for stability, and crack . . . . Ouchies is all i can say lol

For TLD training and to prepare myself for the challenging game atmosphere, I decided to go and cut down my own Xmas tree this year. I even dragged it all the way home on my own (didn't even use the car to transport it)

[spoil]tarling-xmas-tree-2013.jpg[/spoil]

LOL Nice tree! It does need some lights though...

Guest emily_hinterland

@Emily_Hinterland I am teaching a Winter Survival class in Bemidji, MN in a few weeks. you're welcome to come. ;-)

Tempting! That's assuming I'll be able to get out of the snow that will no doubt blanket Toronto by then ;)

• 1 month later...

Oh man, the more I read of skills and then listening to the Gone Home series on my drive home, along with the challenges my parents have had in Charleston, West Virginia with the drinking water crisis I realize my life skills are lacking. Note to self: have a rucksack in my car just in case because you never know.

Oh man, the more I read of skills and then listening to the Gone Home series on my drive home, along with the challenges my parents have had in Charleston, West Virginia with the drinking water crisis I realize my life skills are lacking. Note to self: have a rucksack in my car just in case because you never know.

And another prepper is born :)

• 1 month later...

I was a "troubled" child who didn't like school much. I got into trouble and hence was introduced to child services. I did manage to learn some very interesting skills while being a child of the province. I could triangulate at 14 within meters of my proximity. Winter camp and starting campfires. The course was 3 months and was more helpful than I thought. Many more stories of my experiences but I'll be brief.

• 4 months later...

Let's see...

Tons of camping from childhood onwards, up to and including winter camping in improvised shelter. Lots of hiking in the Adirondacks. I'm pretty good at lighting fires, although I've never learned primitive firelighting techniques; I'm still a matches/lighter guy.

I was in the Cub Scouts and Army Cadets when younger.

I'm good in boats; had a Laser as a teenager. I can also paddle a canoe, and spent my summer vacation kayak camping on the Ottawa river. This comes with the associated cordage skills.

I'm a good fisherman; been fishing since I was a kid, got into fly fishing as an adult. I've caught everything from hungry perch to salmon. I tie flies.

I hunt; turkey, waterfowl, grouse, snowshoe hare, deer, and moose.

I shoot competitively; milsurp and three-gun. With a rifle, I can consistently hit mansized targets at 400 yards with iron sights and at 600 with a scope. I'm competent with a pistol, but am best with a shotgun. I also handload rifle and pistol ammo. I'm a Range Safety Officer at my local gun club.

I can throw axes so they stick in what I throw them at.

I was on the fencing team in university and I recently took up karate (currently orange belt).

I can grow and can vegetables and recognize several species of local edible wild plants.

I've dabbled in flintknapping, and fooled around with atlatls.

I snowshoe, and skiied a lot, both downhill and cross country, as a teenager.

I can read maps and navigational charts and navigate using map and compass.

I've had some basic first aid/CPR training, although I'm due for a refresher in a year or so.

I'm generally interested in wilderness survival and disaster preparation, so this game manages to mash all my buttons at once.

ETA: forgot to mention the running; was on the cross-country team in high school and got back into it a few years ago; I've done several 5Ks and three Spartan Sprints and am training up for a half marathon.

Archived