v.298 December Update: "Timberwolf Mountain"

Raphael van Lierop

Thank you so much for the awesome new Timberwolf Mountain region, it's pretty much everything experienced players wished for during the last few months!

It has a beautiful and unique scenery, is very challenging to play (especially if you start your game there) and the lack of resources and +0°C shelter really forces you to adapt and change your usual playstyle!

At the beginning TM is a bit tough to navigate because of the various cliffs and mountains, but you slowly get used to it's unique landscape over time. This map brings back a lot of TLD's old thrill and challenge for me and definitely adds a whole lot to my gaming experience. :D

I also particularly like the new wind movement animations (of trees, grass and lichen). And the new deer model and animations look awesome as well. The new journal and death stats are also great improvements... You've really hit the bull's eye with this update!

I'll definitely write some (more detailed) feedback later on.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wait, so with the new rifle maintenance and the sharpening stones, do toolkits do anything anymore?

Yes, toolkits can still be used to maintain other items they were previously useful for, like the storm lantern.

Has anyone, ever, fixed a storm lantern? I'm on a 750 day run, I have at least 10 of them, not including the ones I broke down. Is there any use for metal or toolboxes either than fixing storm lanterns now?

Has anyone, ever, fixed a storm lantern? I'm on a 750 day run, I have at least 10 of them, not including the ones I broke down. Is there any use for metal or toolboxes either than fixing storm lanterns now?

As the hatchet & knife repair mechanics have changed (whetstone instead of scrap metal), you will probably run out of premade hatchets and knifes in the long run now (most likely somewhen around day 200-500 or whatever, extremely depends on your playstyle ofc ^^).

You'll thus have to use scrap metal to forge your own improvised knives and hatchets at some point. Apart from that.. well, you can still use scrap metal to forge arrowheads or craft fishing hooks (the latter is pretty useful to repair your clothes).^^

But I agree that repairing storm lanterns is rather pointless. They don't degrade on use and thus never get broken anyway... unless I miss something, there's imho no real reason to ever repair one. :?

Maybe another use option for the toolkit would make sense. E.g. the possibility to use the toolkit (instead of the knife) to craft a bearskin bedroll or something similar.

Awesome update and a new map to explore over the holidays. awesome thank you.

One minor typo I did spot is in the description of the Whetstone, A whetsone - missing the second t.

Anyways I started a new run on v298. found the whetstone to sharpen my knife. very nice and so much more realistic. This game just get better with every new update.

I agree that the new UI sounds are a little loud and honestly liked the old sounds better.

Also, (minor) the old zipper sounded way more realistic than this new one does. Other people who were watching me play would comment how real the zipper sounded. Just wanted to pass that along.

Keep up the great work and thanks

i am with Watcher on this. some of the new sounds are overwhelming. especially the labored breathing. the male sounds like he is about to drop dead from a heart attack and the female sounds like she is having way more fun than would be allowed on any game rated less than "M".

But I agree that repairing storm lanterns is rather pointless. They don't degrade on use and thus never get broken anyway... unless I miss something, there's imho no real reason to ever repair one. :?

Maybe another use option for the toolkit would make sense. E.g. the possibility to use the toolkit (instead of the knife) to craft a bearskin bedroll or something similar.

You still need scrap metal and tool kits to repair the hacksaw for example, but I agree with Scyzara that the toolbox should reappear on the workbench more often, If anyone of you ever tried sewing leather without punching holes in it before knows why. So maybe have a sewing kit or fishing tackle AND a toolbox or knife available to craft improvised clothes/bedroll should be a necessity.

... You've really hit the bull's eye with this update!

I couldn´t agree more. TM is challenging, vast and as dangerous as it is beautiful. The stats and the diary are things that I really wanted to be implemented and now it feels like a Christmas gift. :) There´s no game compared to TLD in this genre, imho. The artwork here is unique and stunning and I often find myself standing still, just looking at the moving orange sky at sundown flying over huge mountain tops. Thank you, Hinterland.

I encountered a few minor bugs:

1) The Disclaimer doesn´t show for me anymore after the intro played. Just a black screen and I have to click in the dark. A long dark if I don´t click :)

2) When switching regions i get a light blue loading screen - weird

also: why doesn´t my temperature raise when i sprint? Should totaly do so. ^^

♥♥♥

• Hinterland
Nice to see a new update, looking great!

Small question, will you eventually add a player body model?

And a silly question about the promo video, at time ~1:18 when you open the log, there is an alarm sound. I've heard that many times in game but have no clue what is it about.

This is actually the sound of a woodpecker pecking on metal, believe it or not!

• Hinterland
I agree that the new UI sounds are a little loud and honestly liked the old sounds better.

Also, (minor) the old zipper sounded way more realistic than this new one does. Other people who were watching me play would comment how real the zipper sounded. Just wanted to pass that along.

Keep up the great work and thanks

i am with Watcher on this. some of the new sounds are overwhelming. especially the labored breathing. the male sounds like he is about to drop dead from a heart attack and the female sounds like she is having way more fun than would be allowed on any game rated less than "M".

We haven't changed anything about the breathing sounds.

UI did get new sounds. Thanks for the feedback!

Timberwolf Mountain, is hard maan I had barely survived after dying 200 times from falling chased by wolf :) . I see what you did here, force us to use forged tools more you naughty devs. :) I like it a smart way to make us forge the improvised weapons. Also the climbing hmm, I would say adds little hardship to exploring but not so much of problem but creates very interesting situations, not so good update as desolation point but I could say it is 80% of this community wishes transformed in a clever way and that is admirable. Bravo ! You aced it once again.

since I have access to a computer for the first time in a few weeks ( as the wife hogs it all the time) I figured I would share my full thoughts on the TW update.

I love the new rifle sights. they seem to be more accurate and seem to be accurate at a longer range than before. I was actually able to take down a deer walking by the hunting blind from inside Alan's cave.

while I love the concept behind the whetstone and cleaning kit, I find the implementation very flawed.as for sharpening knives and honing axes, the time consumed to do so is completely off mark. even a novice can get a good edge on a knife in 10 minutes or so, but to take over 6 hours to raise a knife from 53% to 100% is completely unreasonable, and to ruin a whetstone in the process?? unheard of. i don't know anyone, other than a professional bladesmith, who ever wore out a whetstone. I have one I have had for over 30 years, and it was over 100 when it was handed down to me. as for the cleaning kit, similar applies to the time to clean a rifle. being ex-military, I am able to clean a rifle thoroughly in about 20 minutes. but not everyone is ex-military, so it would be reasonable to allow them about an hour or so, since they would probably be spending much of that time disassembling and reassembling the rifle. and although they don't have the life expectancy of a whetstone, a good cleaning kit usually lasts me a couple years.

I love the Timberwolf Mountain map. it is so huge and so easy to get lost in.and so very challenging, even in Pilgrim mode. I still haven't been able to make it past day 25 on that map in Pilgrim. and I have yet to make it to the fuselage.

overall, this update is a masterpiece and very exciting to play, Great job, folks.

New stats and diary is very nice update.

Rifle cleaning and whetstone is much more logical tools than scrap metal, although I agree with Thelek, it's weird that you have to spend hours and hours just to sharpen a knife.

Wind effects and stamina bar to notify that you cannot sprint - very nice.

Am I understand correctly that after this update, fir is now firewood only, no use for tools anymore?

One more detail - why the hunting knife is so heavy (0,5kg)? This is more machete or little sword's weight :) 0,25kg would be more realistic.

New stats and diary is very nice update.

Rifle cleaning and whetstone is much more logical tools than scrap metal, although I agree with Thelek, it's weird that you have to spend hours and hours just to sharpen a knife.

Wind effects and stamina bar to notify that you cannot sprint - very nice.

Am I understand correctly that after this update, fir is now firewood only, no use for tools anymore?

One more detail - why the hunting knife is so heavy (0,5kg)? This is more machete or little sword's weight :) 0,25kg would be more realistic.

he is correct. a Buck knife weighs just 8.3oz. (236.5g). this is for a typical 7.3 inch (18.7cm) fixed blade of the style our grandfathers used. actually, if you look at the Buck company website, you will find fixed blade hunting knives ranging in weight from 4oz to 13oz. but i believe the 8.3oz is the one everyone thinks of and pictures in their mind.

oh, i beliexe fir is still required to repair the hammer.

• 2 weeks later...

Srsly,

stop updating with cool stuff :)

haven't played it for a while, mainly not to spoil my story-mode experience :)

But I bought a new monitor recently, so I simply had to test it with the best game of 2016!

Awesome improvements! the stats is simply fun and cool.

The environmental improvements are just ace!

Keep up the good work!

• 2 weeks later...
"* Fixed issue where Rifle could be fired after reloaded Aim was never released. "

Could anyone clarify what does this fix mean, please?

Anyone? Please, answer me.

This was a fix for the player being able to reload and fire the rifle from "aim mode".

"* Fixed issue where Rifle could be fired after reloaded Aim was never released. "

Could anyone clarify what does this fix mean, please?

Anyone? Please, answer me.

This was a fix for the player being able to reload and fire the rifle from "aim mode".

Thank you very much, Bethany :)

Archived