Realistic passage of time

Viktor Kvasnica

• Hinterland
On April 10, 2016 at 2:09 AM, Viktor Kvasnica said:

These are all good points.

So what about implementing a user selectable time scale? I image it as follows...

• Need a realistic time scale (for realistic wandering around)? Just press the "-" key.
  • Need a original time scale (for accelerated blizzard or sleeping)? Press the "+" key.

We can see such game mechanics in "Operation Flashpoint" or modded "S.T.A.L.K.E.R." series for instance. Setting could be implemented via a mod only, so the original game will be as intended by Hinterland (an I really enjoy it as it is right now).

You can already "accelerate" time in the game but Resting, or doing other accelerated time actions (ex. Repairing, Crafting, etc.). 

So the thing you'd want is the ability to scale the passage of time up/down while you are not Resting, without it also speeding up the simulation, which is all time based. Otherwise you would end up with weather patterns that exist for several hours in a row (or days), you would only eat once every 2-3 game sessions (assuming you play 2-3 hours per session), you'd have Food Poisoning for weeks of actual game time, etc.

We'll see if we can support this in the future so you can see if you really want this. :)

3 hours ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

So the thing you'd want is the ability to scale the passage of time up/down while you are not Resting, without it also speeding up the simulation, which is all time based. Otherwise you would end up with weather patterns that exist for several hours in a row (or days), you would only eat once every 2-3 game sessions (assuming you play 2-3 hours per session), you'd have Food Poisoning for weeks of actual game time, etc.

Well, I would not mind such a harsh 1:1 time scale realism, where every simulated aspect, based on time, will be scaled to 1:1 time factor (food poisoning is not a "walk in the park" :)). I admit, though, such realistic time scale will get boring sometimes (i. e. waiting 20 real minutes to cook some meat). If the time factor could be accelerated by the user/player in such cases, it will be alright I think.

3 hours ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

We'll see if we can support this in the future so you can see if you really want this. :)

I look forward to it :).

• 3 weeks later...

I have about an hour or two a day to game max (full time working father) and long story short I like the current time scale because I can "get through a few days" in the limited time I have to play.
Plus, the scale makes the maps seem bigger, which just seems to make sense.

However I also should note that I think that the time scale should be closer to "real time," 1:1, while indoors.

• 5 months later...

I have not played much since last winter. The updates that have been made seem to make time go too fast. I can hardly get anywhere before it turns to night. I am a novice at games and I really liked this one but now it seems like as soon as I get somewhere, I have to abort because the day has run out. It is getting too fast for me.

I don't believe i was missing this thread :)

This amazing and unique weather system can't show it's real potential because of the time scale!

Just imagine how nice "and realistic" a transition from bad to good weather wood feel like if it would take more time. Also a blizzard that lasts for a few days and not only a few hours. I also don't think it needs to be 1:1 with realtime. Maybe double or three times more than it is now could do the trick. 

Please, please make it happen Raph.

13 hours ago, Boy Scout said:

I have not played much since last winter. The updates that have been made seem to make time go too fast. I can hardly get anywhere before it turns to night. I am a novice at games and I really liked this one but now it seems like as soon as I get somewhere, I have to abort because the day has run out. It is getting too fast for me.

How are you spending your time, generally? Just in traveling? :)

Are their certain activities that you feel you are using more time than you expect to, with current tuning?

Archived