Would music add to, or detract from, immersion?

junaid_hussain

Like a few people have mentioned before, I think that if the music is done right, it will definitely add to the immersion. I don't think there should be music all the time though as it would be more appropriate to hear ambient sounds etc a lot of the time. I don't think that having the music play over a radio or speakers actually fits with the story line of the game. For people who don't want to have music there should be the option to turn it off and both groups are happy :)

I don't think that having the music play over a radio or speakers actually fits with the story line of the game.

I think it might be interesting to have radios included, but in a slightly different way. Perhaps by finding radio frequencies in notebooks or carved on a table throughout the game you could switch to those channels to hear a bit of what is happening. Maybe music would be playing through occasionally, but mostly it would be fragments of news reports. Possibly you would get a message of someone needing help and this would be an optional side mission if so desired. Maybe it would give warnings of dangerous areas, so you don't wander into something more than you can handle at a certain point in the game.

I think it might be interesting to have radios included, but in a slightly different way. Perhaps by finding radio frequencies in notebooks or carved on a table throughout the game you could switch to those channels to hear a bit of what is happening. Maybe music would be playing through occasionally, but mostly it would be fragments of news reports.

Don't forget -- most "electronics" have been knocked out... there will only be very short bursts of uncontrolled power available [during various aurorae flares]

I think it might be interesting to have radios included, but in a slightly different way. Perhaps by finding radio frequencies in notebooks or carved on a table throughout the game you could switch to those channels to hear a bit of what is happening. Maybe music would be playing through occasionally, but mostly it would be fragments of news reports.

Don't forget -- most "electronics" have been knocked out... there will only be very short bursts of uncontrolled power available [during various aurorae flares]

Very true. I retract my previous statement!

• 5 months later...

The environment should be the real music.. with real music back it up.

Lost? :D

I see the focus should be on howls / tweets / roars / wind / water (If near shore) / fire / foot steps / tree leafs (if near trees or sitting still somewhere)

Focusing on something important lowers the music or sets it up depending on the situation, fight scene get into some combat music or cooking / crafting if available should lower the music or put on some sort of ambient music.

• 4 weeks later...

Not having constant music was a decision we made pretty early on. There is definitely music used for accents for important moments and set pieces.

• 4 months later...

Aside from the already implemented ambient background music that swells every now and then, I would love for some in-world music, for a few houses to have a record player with some folk and classical music.

And I agree with Cormyr above me: imagine the joy upon finding a guitar (or even a fiddle) and being able sit back in front of the fire, to play some simple tunes, maybe whilst humming along. Such a simple and honest thing would be extremely rewarding after many days of grim survival.

And think of the heartbreak should you have to use your instrument as firewood in desperate times.

Archived