FIXED!! El Capitan (Mac) No Longer Deleting Saves

Raphael van Lierop

• Hinterland

UPDATED:

Mac "El Capitan" Save Loss Fix -- Hotfix to v.284 (Mac only)

Hello,

Recently, we discovered that a small number of Mac players who had updated their Mac OSX to "El Capitan" had subsequently lost their save. After investigating, we discovered that El Capitan reset the default location for save files. We believe we have a fix for this issue -- we are forcing El Capitan to save the game in a specific directory -- which we're rolling out in a Hotfix to v.284. This fix is only for the Mac version of the game. Details below.

With this fix, it should now be safe to update to Mac OSX "El Capitan", without risk of losing game saves.

THE LONG DARK HOTFIX to v.284 FOR MAC PLAYERS

v.284 updates the Mac version of The Long Dark, to restore save files not found after upgrading to El Capitan.

Saves will now be located here for Mac players:

/users/username/.local/share/Hinterland/TheLongDark

v.284 will automatically restore old saves from:

/users/username/Library/Application Support/Hinterland/The Long Dark

/users/username/Library/Application Support/unity.Hinterland.The Long Dark

Note that v.284 will not overwrite or delete any data. If El Capitan users have created new saves, manually check the above two paths and copy the contents to the new save location: (/users/username/.local/share/Hinterland/TheLongDark).

NOTE FOR PLAYERS TRYING TO RECLAIM LOST SAVES:

Please note there is a chance that this v.284 update will restore saves that were previously lost due to the El Capitan update, but unfortunately we cannot guarantee this will work for everyone, as all these changes are being made on the OS-level and have nothing to do with The Long Dark itself.

For more info, or to follow up with additional issues, please check the Technical Issues sub-forum. Thank you.

- The Hinterland Team

-----------

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

Please be advised that we've heard from a few community members that upgrading to Mac OSX "El Capitan" may result in save games from The Long Dark being moved or deleted. We're investigating the issue, but until we know what's going on, please be advised that upgrading to El Capitan may affect current in-progress Sandbox games.

- The Hinterland Team

Thank you for this hot fix.

Unfortunately, it didn't restore my game. So, I went back to a Time Machine backup I had made before upgrading my OS and restored my entire system. That didn't restore my game, either.

I can't find any evidence of a /hinterland/ or a /unity.hinterland/ or any other similarly named folder in my Time Machine, even though I've been playing The Long Dark for almost a year and backing up routinely during that time. It is very strange.

Did the game majorly change how it handled saves at some point? I only had one game going (I never took advantage of the ability to have multiple save files at once because I was afraid doing so might mess up my 300+-day save somehow ... which seems ironic now). My one save game file would have been multiple months old and would have been created quite some time ago. I don't remember exactly when I started the save game, but it took me months of game play to get to the 300-day point.

I did start a new game, but it's like The Long Dark doesn't recognize that I have ever even played it. I still have all my achievements in Steam, but none of the maps are even unlocked. I had been in every map that exists in the game as of now.

You guys have been really quiet lately can you share any info about the next update for the xbox one?

Hey! Our last update was a little less than a month ago, and we haven't yet made an announcement for the next one. We typically launch major updates for Steam and XBox on the same day. Stay tuned!

• 1 month later...
You guys have been really quiet lately can you share any info about the next update for the xbox one?

Hey! Our last update was a little less than a month ago, and we haven't yet made an announcement for the next one. We typically launch major updates for Steam and XBox on the same day. Stay tuned!

We wait no longer we have Timberwolf Moutan and every one get on the hype train for story mode

Archived