Degradation on spare clothing...

Vortex

So I decided to try and repair and stock up on spare clothes in case I may need them later.

I noticed that they degrade in durability despite not being used... I keep them on a table or in wardrobes. Is this geomagnetic disaster of the damp kind that it hits idle clothing like that?

I can't help but question this. If we simply must have it due to a core game mechanic, can it be at a slower rate? Maybe have an auto decay cap of about 50% or something? I do not know of many items of clothing that go 'bad' after a couple of weeks of sitting neatly folded somewhere.

It's a bit demoralising to spend all that time , energy and materials on repairing the clothing to 100% durability, only to see it dip every day despite not being used.

There are also some items that do not degrade at all when idle, which I find flabbergasting... Storm Lanterns, Reishi Mushrooms, Cat Tail Stalks, Lichen etc...

There's no question that degradation is at the top of the list of things players feel need addressing. Given the location in the far north of Canada, the weather situation, cold, cold and colder, some things would degrade rather quickly (clothes worn outside on hunting or wood chopping trips, hunting knives used to break ice or fight off wolves, hatchets used to chop wood and ice, etc.) while others would decay quite slowly (matches properly stored, canned goods, unworn clothes properly put away, a hunting rifle stored indoors). The extreme cold locks up water in the form of ice and snow resulting in very low humidity, 5 - 15%, which would cause some items to decay (books would warp but not become unusable for instance) and others to remain in near new conditions (iron tools would tend not to rust).

The extreme low humidity, however, would have rather bad consequences for humans in some minor ways (chapping of lips leading to difficulty eating, dried out nasal passages, dry skin, etc.) and in some major ways if proper provisions are not made (sweating while chopping wood is a very bad thing in survival situations leading to rapid chilling). Given that this is a computer simulation, I would not expect this to be a high priority, and rightly so.

However, I do believe that the types of degradation mentioned in the first paragraph should be at the top of the list of modifications to be made. If the degradation is corrected, however, and the quantity of items left as is, the game might degrade into an easy romp in the park, therefore, some cans of Pork and Beans might be found in a partially eaten state and an already degraded condition, rifles might be found that are broken needing repairs before they are usable, hatchets are found dull, requiring long periods to chop firewood until sharpened, cans of grape soda might be found frozen and undrinkable until warmed, etc.

I'm pleased you remembered this is a computer simulation in alpha test mode, where we are the testers trying to identify ways to improve the game. The Devs have done a great job so far and I am fully confident they will respond to our concerns.

Archived