Burning myself alive

pasmith

I don't think it is remotely realistic that you can spend ten minutes carefully tending a fire and not notice that you are standing in it and automatically move back.

I have to agree, it is way to easy to incinerate yourself...I had 149 days in and everything was going great until I started a fire outside the radio shack PV. Just as I was to the point of cooking some meat..I was dead....damn....I didn't even know I was on fire. I never realized that humans lighting a fire would just stand there and let themselves die.....even Fluffy knows how stupid that is. :D

This truly is a bug or omission that should be changed.

• 2 weeks later...

I definitely agree that a fire should be able to burn us. However, I also think that since we are wearing boots in the game that the time it takes of standing in the fire for a burn to take place should be a little bit longer when the fire has just been started. As has been brought up already most fires, although they can be started in ten minutes or less, take longer to become a roaring fire.

There are a lot of very valid points in this thread, on both sides of the argument. But also in real life the more experienced one is with fire the less careless they are with it. Yes people are stupid sometimes, and yes the game should allow people to be stupid. But if they are stupid once or twice they will tend to be less stupid in the future. A possible fix for this would be to allow the fire-starting skill to determine how close you can start the fire to yourself. Possibly you could start the game with a little less fire-starting skill than you currently start with, yes I know this would really stink but that is what accelerant is for, and have it possible to start a fire right under you and easier to get burned by it. Then as the fire-starting skill goes up make it so that you can't start a fire right under you.

As it stands now, I have to believe that a bush pilot, who apparently has a decent amount of experience with starting fires from his skill level BTW, would not be likely to start a fire right underneath his feet. Also I agree that the boots would give at least a moment of protection to the feet and that if it is the deerskin boots that they seem to go a lot of the way up to the knee and they are said to be quite sturdy. I agree that at the very least the boots one is wearing should be taken into account, if reasonably possible or easy to implement, when determining the amount of time it takes to be burnt.

• 2 weeks later...

Kind of true that a real person would notice, but I think it's hilarious. Way better than being able to walk right through the fire without getting burned whatsoever.

I also like the freedom of being able to build a fire wherever I want. Makes me think about where I'd actually be building a fire in relation to my body.

Archived