#2909 - v.281 Saves Reverting Back

Dodgygeezah

While you are waiting for the patch to fix this. I recommend keeping your xbox offline while playing TLD.

For me, the issue is when the game trys to sync the saves to/from the cloud. By keeping the console offline when I want to play TLD, it keeps my saves on the console and I haven't had an issue since I started this. 90 days in now, Xbox has been unplugged to move it several times.

Steps I take to make sure it does not sync to the cloud but can still play other games:

1. Befor opening TLD after playing another game online go to settings/network and hit go offline.

2. play TLD like normal

3. befor going back online you need to kill the game so its not running in the background. I just open another game (one you have downloaded works great so you don't need to put in a disc).

4. You can now go into settings/network and sign into your router/modem and go online

Hope this helps while the hard working devs get this fixed.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While you are waiting for the patch to fix this. I recommend keeping your xbox offline while playing TLD.

For me, the issue is when the game trys to sync the saves to/from the cloud. By keeping the console offline when I want to play TLD, it keeps my saves on the console and I haven't had an issue since I started this. 90 days in now, Xbox has been unplugged to move it several times.

Steps I take to make sure it does not sync to the cloud but can still play other games:

1. Befor opening TLD after playing another game online go to settings/network and hit go offline.

2. play TLD like normal

3. befor going back online you need to kill the game so its not running in the background. I just open another game (one you have downloaded works great so you don't need to put in a disc).

4. You can now go into settings/network and sign into your router/modem and go online

Hope this helps while the hard working devs get this fixed.

Some useful tips there thank you!! More than support have offered for sure!!

I just had the same issue running v.281. I was at day 60-ish, had moved from ML to PV and had been in PV for about seven days in-game. I had been playing in the evening for an hour or so, turning the Xbox off when I was done, though I haven't connected the Xbox to the internet in over a week. Today, my boyfriend logged on to play a different game, and now when I open TLD, my save is only at day 32. I've lost half my game, which is kind of frustrating.

Thanks for the tips SamsOn! We will try that, though I've never used the cloud for any game saves on my xbone. It still tries to save to the cloud even though we choose to use the console?

Ya. If you're logged into xbox live and you open TLD it will automatically try and sync your saves to the xbox live cloud. The same with many other games.

Me: "Hey, so I started playing one of the greatest games I've ever got my hands on."

Family/Friends/Random Strangers: "Oh yea, what's it called?"

Me: "The Long Dark."

F/F/RS: "What's it about?"

Me: "It's this incredibly realistic survival game, quite unlike anything I have ever played before. You start out in the wilderness after your plane crashes with only the clothes on your back, a few necessities and have to rely on your survival skills in order to stay alive. It takes place in Northern Canada so there is snow everywhere and the temperatures are crazy low so right off the bat you need to find some kind of shelter so you don't freeze to death. There is always something keeping you on the edge of your seat whether it's the fact that you are about to starve to death or trying to find some sticks to make a fire in time to keep you from hypothermia. There is always something that you need to be thinking ahead about so it keeps you on your toes about 95% it of the time. The other five percent is when you actually get to reap the rewards of your day's work, even then u start planning ahead."

F/F/RS: "Sounds pretty intense, I might have to check that game out."

Me: "You definatly should, it's one of a kind. There is one little thing though."

F/F/RS: "What's that?"

Me: "You can't really save your progress."

F/F/RS: "(chuckles) What? ...(concerned) Are you serious?"

Being able to save the game is not a "top priority", it should be the number one priority. More and more people are starting to hear about this game and the window of opportunity is wide open. I know that steam is your bread and butter but a good game on Xbox can spread like wildfire and you might not get another shot. Something this serious can be a difference of people trickling in, and a downpour. Not to mention I effing love this damn game and it makes me want to cry, yell and quite playing it all at the same time whenever I get on and see my progress is gone and I have to start all over.

Perhaps a variation.

Xbox / Pilgrim / Day 97-128 / Coastal highway map

Weekend of 'Halloween pumpkin' welcome screen. So I assume thats v280-v282

• Fri.10/30/2015 pumpkins screen updated... Played Day 97 to day 100. Started in trailer on road below train tracks and log bridges. Slept and saved, Xbox off.
    Sat morning 10/31/2015 (USA CT) played day 100-105. Saved in fishing hut with work bench those nights. Slept and saved, Xbox off.
    Sat evening 10/31/2015 (USA CT) played day 105-128. Saved in log sort trailer, a night in 'fireplace house' in coastal town and set up base in Quonset hut station for 18nights. Slept and saved, Xbox off.
    Sun. 11/01/2015 Did not play xbox, never turned on.
    Monday 11/02/2015. Update downloaded on start up. Pumpkins screen gone and back to normal (v282?).

This is when it revered the save all the way back to Friday Day 97.

Not sure its sync with Xbox live or more tied to patching/versions. I use 'resume' and not 'load' for all of my starts. Its 50/50 if the start screen is the 'wake moment' or if it takes me back to the 'back to game / quit' menu screen.

Great game, and you have me hooked, but we have to solve this ASAP. Hope it helps.

Hi, I decided to come to this forum just to address this specific problem, for it is a big one.

I purchased the Game Preview version of The Long Dark for Xbox One and have clocked in a lot of hours.

I really enjoy this game, and I have virtually nothing to report negatively besides this problem with my save files.

I've gone 30+ days without any problems whatsoever.

So whatever is happening seems completely random

Anyways, recently I've gone 20+ days in and randomly, when I go to start up the game and play, I select continue and Im back at day 9 on the same file I had, just days earlier, and my actual progress was deleted completely.

(I know for a fact it was the same file, same bunker, items etc.)

I was disappointed and shrugged it off and made my way back to 20+ days.

When all of a sudden it happens again! The very same thing! It's very discouraging and makes me even afraid to play. I dont want to put the time in if my progress will be deleted!

I was hoping to at least inform Hinterland, or see at least if they were aware and working on this bug.

:oops:

Save reverted from day 56 to day 34. I lost virtually all of my Pleasant Valley progress; learning how to hunt, all cured hides and clothing made from it, exploration and item gathering endured through brutal blizzards and freezing nights from the farthest reaches of Pleasant Valley. That being said, and considering this is the 4th time I've lost substantial progress and personal time to this save issue, is there any chance Hinterland will allow me to transfer my purchase of the game to the PC version? Same 20 bucks either way. I have not heard of people complaining about this issue in this PC version.

Yeah same my save is still reverting back sometimes .

The thing is i always exit to main screen and check/load my save before i turn it off. So i cant understand how its making a save, then its loading up like multiple saves before that. :cry:

This is getting really frustrating, because im that hooked on this game, ive had to re-do multiple expeditions twice over.

But thats just me. I wouldnt be surprised if lots of less patient people are ready to rage quit this game.which is really dissapointing as you guys have made an awesome game so far, and in my opinion have set the bar really high for following devs,on the xbox preview program.

I am also eagerly awaiting some sort of response to this.

The first couple of times that it happened I shrugged it off because I was new to the game, but I can't commit to starting a new game now because I'll lose some, if not all of, my progress.

I think I have to pursue a refund on this. Its been too long without an update. I will contact xbox support and see what they say.

Great game, but completely unplayable in its current state.

Hope you manage to fix the issue and clearly it is a problem with Xbox and the way the game saves, and personally I have lost hope for a fix on this.

Early Access or not, the game is broken and I want my money back.

• Hinterland
I think I have to pursue a refund on this. Its been too long without an update. I will contact xbox support and see what they say.

Great game, but completely unplayable in its current state.

Hope you manage to fix the issue and clearly it is a problem with Xbox and the way the game saves, and personally I have lost hope for a fix on this.

Early Access or not, the game is broken and I want my money back.

Really sorry to hear about these struggles and we certainly feel your pain. We're working to isolate the root causes and one of the main issues currently is creating a repro case in-house to aid with testing. In other words, we can't reproduce the bug internally, therefore we can't debug it. We're talking to Microsoft about it. I'm confident that once we have a solid repro case, we'll be able to fix it.

Until then, please accept our apologies. We will try very hard to win you back as a player, customer, and fan.

I just wanted to report that we've had our xbox offline for a couple of weeks, and we haven't shut down the xbox (it goes in sleep mode every night) or exited the game, and... obviously, I guess, we've been able to play nightly the past 2 weeks, because the game has been in play or paused for 2 straight weeks, never exiting and reloading. We are afraid to use our xbox for anything else. I figure its all a matter of time before it crashes down on us, and at the least I'm going to guess that we will lose the game when..if.. this bug is fixed. But, it's playable if you're willing to accept all that.

We've yet to try the suggestion above of quitting the game while still offline, and then going online to do other xbox things. If that works, then that'd be acceptable in the meantime.. but we are too afraid at this point to try it. -_-

I have been noticing an increase of lag (game freezes for a second every minute or two) the longer we keep it running. Hoping it doesn't just lock up on us.

That is exactly the same strategy that I had for weeks, but then came the UI update for the Xbox One that killed all background applications resp. did a reboot. After that, my main save went from day 62 to day 14, two other saves were deleted completely (probably because those regions are now undiscovered again).

At first, I was about to leave TLD for good, as all the nice progress, the newly base setups with nicely arranged resources and several bear pelts and so on was gone. Literally five minutes later I have started a new game and got my first new bear pelt on day 12, though.

So heads up, losing all your work is bitter at first, but starting all over again will be fun soon after. Just take it as a surprise death, and as the game is all about how long it takes until one dies in the cold, dying should not be any motivation stopper. Not to mention, that this is an alpha…

Sidenote: At least there is finally an official statement that Hinterland is aware of that critical bug. Thanks Raphael, and btw: TLD is really great work!

• Hinterland

Hello all -- just to follow up regarding this. Microsoft is supporting us with trying to hunt down this bug, but in order to do so we need to gain access to information from the Gamertag belonging to one of the players who has experienced the lost saves.

Basically, MS needs permission from one of you to give us access to save games attached to your Gamertag. If anyone who has suffered the savegame issue on Xbox One is comfortable giving Microsoft this permission, please get in touch with us at info@hinterlandgames.com, with the subject "Xbox Save Bug", and we'll put you in touch with the appropriate people at Microsoft.

With your help, we hope to be able to put this issue to rest once and for all. Thank you!

I have hit the bug once again. New ML save reverted back from day 28 to day 8, new save in PV missing (and Map selection tells me again, I need to explore the way to PV first).

So I would really like to help, but got no response so far. Probably it takes some time to coordinate things with Microsoft… (at least if the Xbox guys are as slow as those on Technet/MSDN)

Hi, just wanted to report I hit on this in v.282.

I was at day 63 and I believe the game had not fully exited since 11/13 as each time I opened The Long Dark it brought me back to the Pause Screen options. The outdoor wind sounds weren't being heard so I wanted to see if quitting the game completely using the Xbox interface would help.

My steps were as follows:

Opened TLD from Xbox "desktop".

Game opened to Pause screen (picked up where I left off, didn't need to Load or Resume from title screen)

Wandered outside, noticed lack of wind sounds.

Entered lighthouse, slept for an hour, noticed the Save spinning icon.

Slept again for an hour, just to make sure.

Hit Xbox button. Hit start button to enter options for the game. Selected Quit.

Launched TLD again and went to Load from the Title screen.

Saw save game from 11/13 when I was 5 days into my current playthrough. Also had save from Pilgrim mode.

Went to manage game and deleted local save data from the Xbox in the hope I might have the more recent save on Xbox live.

Opened TLD, got Synchronizing progress bar.

Load still had old save from 11/13.

I started with version .282 so I've never had an update happen yet.

On my next playthrough I'll try to quit the game after saving when I'm done playing for awhile and see if quitting before the game goes to "suspend" or whatever seems to prevent this.

Despite this, I'm really enjoying the game. Keep up the good work and I know you will figure this one out. If there's any additional information I can provide, let me know.

Thanks,

Matt

Same thing has been happening to me. (V.282)

Really into this game but it's the worst feeling you get after you've worked so hard to gather many items and put in so many hours and all of it goes to waste when the game reverts back to earlier days and the hours you put into the game are all gone to waste. I noticed it the very first time I played dropping from 6 days to the very first day. I didn't get very far in the game but I do hope the devs and MS resolve this issue and until then, I'll wait before starting this game up again.

Archived