What is the 1 thing you dislike most in The Long Dark?

Lifferds

9 hours ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

If everything in the game can last forever, there are no interesting choices left for you to make. Finding one whetstone would be enough to satisfy that need. Eventually you would find enough single items of everything that you would have very little need to explore and search for more. Exploring and searching for more is the "gameplay engine" of The Long Dark. For the game, it's more important that you are faced with interesting choices than with realistic decay rates.

Which I do understand, I just explored the entirety of Coastal Highway to find one whetstone.  Its just the march seems odd.  Like why does degredation happen much slower when you stash something on a frozen dead guy?  I've taken to calling them all Coleman.  The sleeping bag degredation seems to be tied into useage not time it seems to degrades the same whether you use it for an hour or 12 - so I'm ending up carrying a spare sleeping bag to use when I just need to rest for an hour with an extra warmth bonus.  

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Hinterland
14 hours ago, Jolan said:

Which I do understand, I just explored the entirety of Coastal Highway to find one whetstone.  Its just the march seems odd.  Like why does degredation happen much slower when you stash something on a frozen dead guy?  I've taken to calling them all Coleman.  The sleeping bag degredation seems to be tied into useage not time it seems to degrades the same whether you use it for an hour or 12 - so I'm ending up carrying a spare sleeping bag to use when I just need to rest for an hour with an extra warmth bonus.  

Tools decay on use. I'd have to verify (you can imagine it's hard to keep 1200+ tuning variables in your head, and I don't have the editor in front of me at the moment) but I believe the Bedroll's condition decay is over time. So, unless I'm mistaken about that, the decay isn't tied to use but to time. You can also repair your bedroll.

Next time you explore Coastal Highway, you might find more than one whetstone. The fact is it limited doesn't seem so odd, does it? Coastal Highway is but 15-20% of the entire game world. Go exploring!

• Hinterland
14 hours ago, Jolan said:

It would use the same mechanic as hot coffee, tea, etc. though I'm not certain about the calorie add.  I wouldn't put it in there, but I don't know why its there for coffee and tea.  Maybe a mechanic? 

Because it makes drinking coffee and tea more beneficial, and brings the player more comfort.

On 3/7/2016 at 0:26 AM, Raphael van Lierop said:

Tools decay on use. I'd have to verify (you can imagine it's hard to keep 1200+ tuning variables in your head, and I don't have the editor in front of me at the moment) but I believe the Bedroll's condition decay is over time. So, unless I'm mistaken about that, the decay isn't tied to use but to time. You can also repair your bedroll.

Next time you explore Coastal Highway, you might find more than one whetstone. The fact is it limited doesn't seem so odd, does it? Coastal Highway is but 15-20% of the entire game world. Go exploring!

hm? actually the hunt for the whet stone is why I explored as much as I did.  I wasn't really planning on exploring coastal highway at that point, but hey - tools should be kept sharp and there was no way I was going back over that scary scary bridge.  I'll take a snap shot of the bedroll conditions and track for a bit.  Thanks!

On 3/7/2016 at 1:37 AM, Mini said:

I want a action where you can empty a found Jerry can into your Jerry can in your  Inventory. To much weight in carrying 2 or more Jerry cans. 

You should really only ever carry one, and always stage one at a location, then you can fill it if you need to. A great way to keep a supply of fuel. 

Sorry for the wordiness. I beg forgiveness in advance but I really like this game and think that any feedback (weather or not it is implemented) can only make it better.

First off, I play this game on the xbox and think it is incredible, from the visuals to the audio. That being said the following would 2 areas that I think could possibly improve the over all experience.

1. Day/Night cycle seem fast, limits exploration and tasks (wood gathering, food acquisition, etc...).

2. Food and water consumption seem too high.

Thanks, and look forward to see where this game in its final.

First of all, let me say, I love this game. It is truly a work of art and deserved an award in my humble opinion. I haven't seen story mode yet, but based on what I have experienced so far and the community engagement of the devs, I foresee that it will only add great things to what is already so wonderful!

Things that I wish would be a little different.....

On 10/29/2015 at 1:02 PM, odium said:

wolf evasion simulator.

i get that wolves are a big part of the game, but sometimes i just get tired of flaring, baiting, shooting, and running away from 3 wolves every time i go anywhere.

- Only having the option to have wolves run from you all game, or all of them attack you all game. Having some chance that the wolf will attack or run away in the same game would be nice and keep the player in a bit of anticipation and suspense. Will it run? Will it attack?

- If you don't have crafting to do while there is a blizzard outside for two days, all there is to do is sleep. Readable newspapers/books? Puzzle games? Making sculpture out of reclaimed wood? Make maps? I don't know, but having to sleep off a part of the game time because otherwise you are just staring at the wall takes me out of the immersion a bit.

- No shortcut key to equip and un-equip items

- No ability to gather snow or ice for refrigeration

Please don't get rid of the forge...I made it a quest to go in search of arrows for my bow. I think it's pretty fun! Also, I don't want to get rescued! I don't need to be rescued. Please don't rescue me! 

@Maninpants I really like this idea! "Behind a waterfall is a cave system".

Just about everything else posted here I don't mind either way.

• 1 month later...

Great game, the thing I dislike most is lack of mod support. As we have seen the developers can make no more than 2-3 maps / year, only with player mods we will have enough new maps. I know that many of them will not be that great, but some will exceed expectations it's always like that.

I understand that mod support is a tricky subject during Early access, but this is the third year already. Right now I ran out of things to do.

Two things I hate the most:

1. Darkness inside even if it is daylight and there are windows in the house or cabin.

2. Even though the speed is improved, many times it feels like the walking simulator. I would use up energy, food, water to cross country ski.

Thats easy to answer. There are two things.

I cant jump!

Why cant I jump?

Maybe my hips are broken and/or I had an operation before I crashed with the plane.

But then its obvious that I cant survive in this area!

The light in the houses is minimal. Even it is sunny outside!

And its not realistic, cause most of the rooms are having windows!

The only house with nice lighting is trappers homestead and the red cabins on the hills.

• 1 month later...

The decay of items is something I agree, I do get that it's the dynamic of a game, but it would be nice if a whetstone lasted a little more than what it does right now. Don't make things eternal, but a little more would be good. Also, maybe don't completely destroy the hatchets or knife, but if you don't have a way to make them sharper, make them not as efficient. Meaning in the late game you will have them but doing one activity will cost more time and energy. 

But my biggest complain is the animals and the food.

I would rather have way less animals to find but making them give a lot more food (and the calories of the meat done well, one problem we have, it's that we have to  carry a lot of KG in food to survive  a day, ergo making us slower, when in reality we could get by with only a few because just 1KG would probably be enough), but this would balanced by the fact that actually hunting or fishing would be difficult, and you wouldn't know when it would be the next time you find animals to hunt, and the wolves and bears be way more of a threat, not because of numbers, but because of strenght and lasting damage. I would have them hide better too and be in places where you may not see them (meaning they surprise you), like in forests. I mean this about all, bunnies, deers, wolves, bears and every other animals we may get

Right now we usually just have to know where they are, all the animals, and we can evade or hunt. I would love to truly find myself preparing for hunting and having to go out, without knowing where I will get them. Maybe as one mentioned, having some clues, foot prints and the like. One pack or two packs of wolves, depending on what map and size we are, roaming around. 

Not only hunting would be done later in the game, and so would be crafting, because we would need to be prepared to go on "hunting trips" and finding animals wouldn't be easy, I think it would be way more interesting. Hunting wolves and bears would be a true challenge, specially if they do lasting damage (changing this thing where you are at 100% again the next day).

I do have more complaints, but they don't annoy me much. The one thing I talked about and wished though, and i did in the forum, it's having more threats be from nature and not only the wolves or bears too. 

Food spoilage at the speed of light with no way to preserve it. In the winter !?!?!?!

Those *cencored* parasites that dont make any sense.

Extremely weak wolves and extremely easy condition regeneration.

And decay rates of stuff in general. Am i supposed to believe that breaking 50 branches with axe in perfect condition will cause sad axe to completely desintegrate and fall apart ?

I dont like that the animals are so easy to see. they are almost black and stand out so so easily on the snow. If the wolves had more camouflage , maybe instead of almost black, they could be light grey or various grey patches of fur. Also the Bears could be a bit lighter, maybe with some fallen snow on their slow walking bodies., ust to help them be less visible and more of a nasty surprise. All of course still in the painted theme of the game but just harder to see and more likely to surprise you. Right now i can see them so easily and therefore easily avoid them. The deer too. give them lighter fur. Maybe the rabbits can be light grey or tan or even white snow rabbits. 

Now obviously i am not gonna claim to know in accurate detail the fur patterns of specific north american/Canadian wildlife, if you can suggest ideas on this please go ahead. But all i think is that the less likely i am to see or hear them , the more likely they will worry me and i will find myself more cautious.

I also would like to see they quieter. i have learn quickly to hear their footprints and avoid them. The bear i hear breathing for far off so he never ever surprises me at all. I dont mind if right as he is close and in a very dangerous range, even maybe when he has detected me he makes groans and bear grunts or even snaps twigs with his heavy paws as he move sin on me. maybe then the heavier snow tread can be heard and thats what makes you bolt and run. The wolves too i hear a lot. i do adore that they howl and bark and growl. and this should be in the game. but maybe give them silent stalking. make their snow steps silent as if they are cautiously creeping up on me. i want to panic and either have to duck down and stay still and hidden until they pass or run for it. 

With the animals i would also like to see better AI. I dont like that animals zig zag. And i mean run away and then right back at you and even through you. If a deer or wabbit bolts they go and stay gone unless you chase or TRACK. This is where footprints and tracking will come into its own. The only way you will find prey either injured or not is by skillful tracking. Having them run right back at you kills any tracking option.

I would like to see bears get mad. when you dive into a car or cabin the bears stand up and with fore-paws rock the car or hit it and do they spine chilling bear roar. They cant get in and your maybe safe but at least when they move off your gonna be needing new pants! hehe maybe outside cabins you hear them snuffling at the door or heavy steps until its quiet. then have they gone??!! do you dare step outside to check? Wolves too i wish would patrol in closer formation. I dont like that even in packs one wolf can attack you and the others seem oblivious if not close too. I wanna always fear a whole pack. And less deer and rabbits. I swear they are populating way too fast! so many and too easy to just keep shooting them and having carcasses everywhere. 

I love this game so so much. Its why i am passionate about improvements. nothing i have written is i any way suggesting the game is broken. Just suggesting it needs even more greatness. I may also make this silly-long post its own topic too. :-)

Archived