bethany

End Game Stats

Hey guys! I've seen a couple of suggestions for end game stats, and I wanted to post a thread here to gather feedback in terms of what stats you guys would like to see. I've seen one or two threads in Playtest Feedback about this topic, but they didn't go very far and I wanted to create a centralized one here that will be easier for me to track.

Please feel free to leave comments and suggestions regarding specific stats you'd like to see, or even how you'd like to see them displayed.

Thanks!

I know this is going to be contrary to what you're looking for, but my answer would be "none at all".

In my experience, the pleasure of playing this game is in the narrative that it naturally creates as you play. Having end game stats displayed is likely to distract from that narrative.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that I'd like the whole "You survived XX days" end game bit to be re-written as something like "You were killed by a bear on December 20th at about eight in the morning. It was snowing without sign of letting up."

Edited to add:

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'd really like it if my end-game splash screen encouraged me to start over and tell a new story, instead of encouraging me to beat some arbitrary past score.

I know this is going to be contrary to what you're looking for, but my answer would be "none at all".

In my experience, the pleasure of playing this game is in the narrative that it naturally creates as you play. Having end game stats displayed is likely to distract from that narrative.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that I'd like the whole "You survived XX days" end game bit to be re-written as something like "You were killed by a bear on December 20th at about eight in the morning. It was snowing without sign of letting up."

Edited to add:

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'd really like it if my end-game splash screen encouraged me to start over and tell a new story, instead of encouraging me to beat some arbitrary past score.

Thumbs up for that!

Chasing highscores - with a public leaderboard no less - is pretty much the exact opposite of a "thoughtful survival experience".

Could be as simple as the summation of all the actions

Survived for: Time (exists already)

Pieces eaten or how many kg of meat

Water drunk

Walked distance

Hours slept/ Craft Time/ Idle Time/ Active Time maybe as a pie chart to easily observe the ratio?

Bullets shot

Arrows shot

Set traps

Games killed (per different animal)

etc etc

Those stats could be non intrusive (select which one to present?) and could be saved somehow as legacy maybe?

I would be most interested in:

- distance walked

- wolves & bears killed

- infections & food poisonings survived

- time spent starving vs. non-starving

Water drunk

Walked distance

Hours slept/ Craft Time/ Idle Time/ Active Time maybe as a pie chart to easily observe the ratio?

Bullets shot

Arrows shot

Set traps

etc etc

Those stats could be non intrusive (select which one to present?) and could be saved somehow as legacy maybe?

- distance walked

- wolves & bears killed

- Number of fires started

- Number of wolf and bear attacks survived

- % of containers searched

- % of natural medicine collected

- Kg of fish caught

I would also really like it if your personal record would be displayed inthe bottom of the main menu, or when you click on sandbox mode!

Yeah, I agree with the first reply. I don't know that I need a stat readout at the end of a run. It seems more poetic not to have one.

I would like to view all stats seeing that I am dead but can still view them - god like game thing I guess!

If end-game stats are implemented, maybe there should be a "View Stats" button on the death screen, so those who want to view them can, while those who don't want to can simply skip them.

If end-game stats are implemented, maybe there should be a "View Stats" button on the death screen, so those who want to view them can, while those who don't want to can simply skip them.

I pictured just a handful of stats (4-6) collected and there being a separate "end of game" stats and an overall "best of" stats for these same things. For the end of game stats, a view stats option on the death screen would work. Any overall/best of stats could be viewed (or ignored) from the options menu.

I think stats on everything is overkill and unnecessary. Stats should be interesting and tied directly to the core survival against the wilderness theme of the game. Based on common stories people want to share about their experiences in the game, achievements, player-made challenges, etc.:

• Most important/relevant to me:
    • Longest days run for each sandbox mode
    • Most # survived attacks by a wolf/bear
    • Most nights survived outside
    • Closest recorded % to death and survived

[*]Less important but nifty:

• Most [deer/bear/wolves/rabbits] [killed or harvested?]
    • Most kg/lb of fight caught
    • Most # plants harvested

Edited to add:

I like your example - it's very "All Quiet on the Western Front."

I agree that I don't particularly need or want any stats beyond my survival time. If others are gathered and presented, I have no problem with that, but would rather see them in an alternate page that you can choose to go check, rather than automatically presented.

I also feel like any sort of public leaderboard needs to go. I wasn't even aware there was one for quite some time, and it flies in the face of what it feels like this game should be about. It isn't competition with each other... it's competition with fricking nature.

I agree that I don't particularly need or want any stats beyond my survival time. If others are gathered and presented, I have no problem with that, but would rather see them in an alternate page that you can choose to go check, rather than automatically presented.

I also feel like any sort of public leaderboard needs to go. I wasn't even aware there was one for quite some time, and it flies in the face of what it feels like this game should be about. It isn't competition with each other... it's competition with fricking nature.

+1

- distance walked

- wolves & bears killed

I like the essential information like Scyzara.

I`m also interested in hard to find things:

xxx Old Man's Beard Lichen, Reishi Mushroom, Rose hips found in this game

Here's what I'd like to have happen once your character is killed and the game ends:

• In the main menu, there would be an option/tab labeled something like, "Album". When you click on it and open it up, you'd get a list of all your past gameplays.
  • Each one would contain a log of all the important events that occurred throughout the game, as well as nick-names your character would have earned for fulfilling certain requirements (i.e. "Greenhorn" Charlie for surviving 5 days, "Alpha Wolf" Fred for killing 5 wolves during a fight, "Dead-Eye" Max for killing 5 deer with only headshots, etc).
  • When starting up and playing a new game, there would be a small chance that one of your old character's name would be written upon a tombstone/grave-marker on one of the maps.

Edited to add:

This is what I would like. I love the emergent narrative in The Long Dark. This type of ending splash screen would just enhance it.

I would also like the option to export my log book or have random snippets from the log book shown as a timeline (similar to the new game trailer). I'm not really interested in chasing a high score for The Long Dark. The story is far more interesting.

Thanks for all of the suggestions and feedback so far! If anyone else has ideas to share, feel free to keep them coming.

Water drunk

Walked distance

Bullets shot

Arrows shot

Set traps

etc etc

I do like the idea of seeing a summary of achievement's for the end of each game I play, but I also like to see how I am doing in my current session. So, how about instead of end game stats we keep some "in game" stats or otherwise broaden the achievement badges. Take the current basic achievement awards and expand those by doubling, tripling and quadrupling the requirements for each award. Expand on Vagos's suggestions and create some additional achievement categories, like number of rabbits snared. Deer killed, wolves killed, bears killed and fish caught. After you kill 100 of everything you get the "Grand Slayer" badge or something like that.

I'd really like to see things tracked like clothing repairs, tools and weapons repaired, etc. For example, with one of the scenarios I am currently playing, I decided not to drink any sodas and at this point I am just a little shy of filling an entire refrigerator with soda cans. It started out because I love grape soda and I wanted to save Stacy's Grape Soda for last. Yeah, it would be nice to see stats in game on just about anything and everything that could be tracked. Not necessarily for leaderboard stats but hey why not. I think I would like to know who has set the record for sodas collected.

I think it would be difficult considering the sheer variety in survival times, from hours to days to years, but I think in keeping with the emergent narrative style of gameplay it would be neat if the game spent about 10-15 seconds displaying a timeline of events that occurred in the run. Lets say you gave a priority to entries in the survival log, so it first looked for near death experiences (<10% condition), bear kills, and zone transitions, next tier down were things like lengthy periods with ailments (taking days to recover from hypothermia, or a broken ankle) which are indicative of hard times. So on through the list of potential memorable moments.

Then it constructed a timeline running from your initial spawn to your final resting place, notching off between 1 and 7 events that occurred in between in the sequence they occurred, giving some basic information:

1. Survived plane crash in Mystery Lake

2. Fought off wolf with hatchet near Lake Cabins on Day 4

3. Arrived at Coastal Village on Day 12

4. Crafted Deerskin Boots on Day 23 at Quonset Gas Station

5. Made it to Misanthrope's Shack in a blizzard, near death, on Day 28

6. Arrived at Desolation Point on Day 43.

7. Froze to Death at Stone Church on Day 44.

The highest number of hours survived outside without being inside

So for example you are outside 3 hours, then go inside then go outside for 4 hours and then die, the number to show would be 4 hours

It would also be great to see a condition/time graph. So on the horisontal axis you have time and vertical axis you have condition

Edited to add:

+1 to this.

And I'd add that the narrative quality would capture the sense that the world will continue to go on regardless of our character being alive or dead. That nature is indifferent to our survival...