candles and homemade oil lamp

megamillionare

well we need candles. well you know how coffee spawns in a pack of 5 or so, well maybe that's how candles should be spawned, also don't make it so when you find a candle there isn't a candle holder that pops out of nowhere, make it so first you need to find it and when you have it you could repair the candle but you would need a fire (ex: campfire, pot belly stove, etc.) because all the wax would fall in the holder and then you could heat it up later and you could reform th wax. You would need either gut for cordage or tinder(i just cant decide which is best because tinder would be like a total cheat, as for gut i'm not sure if its flammable).

Now for the homemade oil lamp all you would need to make one in real life is a container for storing liquids,

(ex: a water bottle, lantern fuel bottle, etc.) then you would need a flammable oil, (ex: keresone, vegtable oil , (literally any oil) etc.) then a piece of rope,(thick or semi thick but no string it will not work) now we get the container, fill it with oil of choice, (will use very little oil like 0.2 L or 0.1 L) now put the rope in and let some hang outside the bottle, the rope will soak up the oil creating a slow burning effect and will burn for a very long time, now i cant decide what the rope should be , gut or tinder? Also both the candle and the oil lamp should have the ability to be put out, I was thinking the maximum time until both the candle and the oil lamp burn out should be 2 days. If not then 1 day.

Tell me what you think?

Well first of all I'd say it's been only day since you posted this. Second candles and DIY lamps have been brought up a BUNCH of times and some people just don't reply to things they've already talked about on other threads. :D

If you'd really like stuff to get added use the search function and support the bigger threads by commenting and adding your own ideas instead of over saturating the forum with the same stuff so it'll never get properly picked up. :)

I completely agree. However, they won't make candles exactly like that. That would be too easy and thus, ruin the point of this brutal game. The wax should drip away, with minimal amounts of wax retained.

The makeshift oil lantern should be completely inefficient so that it isn't swapped out from being used as the normal oil lantern, or it wears away to quickly to be of major use.

Sorry to be so negative, but I think if what you say is added, it should be more like this.

The wax should drip away, with minimal amounts of wax retained.

That's how candles work in real life, no problem with that. :D

But I'd say if it gets added it wouldn't leave ANY wax intact since the game has to be kept simple. :mrgreen:

The makeshift oil lantern should be completely inefficient so that it isn't swapped out from being used as the normal oil lantern, or it wears away to quickly to be of major use.

Same with this one. If you look it up on the forums you'll see that homemade oil lamps are just an old can with oil and a wick in it and has NO wind resistance.

So candles and oil lamps are meant to be stationary, last LONG and give a MEDIUM(somewhat below a lantern/torch) amount of light. Any less then that and they're useless. :)

Sorry to be so negative, but I think if what you say is added, it should be more like this.

Sorry to be so negative, but just look up the word candle on the forums. ;)

Candles and oil lamps:

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=8465

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=8064

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=7673

Also fat rendering to fuel them:

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=7375

no its not negative thats what i meant just stationary candles and stuff i didnt mean like you could carry it around everywhere but maybe there should be different candle types like those one that are like a cup full of wax the only thing you would need to replace is the wick because when the wax cools it will be in the same spot and if you wanted to carry a candle it would only be allowed indoors i know candles have like no wind resistance

Well as far as I know candles don't need their wicks changed since it's not the wick that actually burns but the wax. The wick itself is only there to "transfer" the molten wax to the fire and the wick only burns when the wax is "too far away" to climb to its top. :)

So whatever candle it would be it would burn away about 90% of itself so we wouldn't be able to "replace" anything in it.

Well as far as I know candles don't need their wicks changed since it's not the wick that actually burns but the wax. The wick itself is only there to "transfer" the molten wax to the fire and the wick only burns when the wax is "too far away" to climb to its top. :)

So whatever candle it would be it would burn away about 90% of itself so we wouldn't be able to "replace" anything in it.

In solid candle designs, the wick does burn - not primarily, but as the wax level goes down the tip of the wick ends up further and further away from the burning wax, such that the tip burns down a tiny bit at a time.

This is one of the big advantages to "liquid" candles (such as modern paraffin candles - which are basically small/simple lamps) since the heat of the flame isn't required to change the fuel source into liquid (and thus able to traverse up the wick), the distance between the flame and the fuel becomes less of an issue - allowing for the same point of the wick to be used to burn fuel even as the fuel level continues to drop (in which case the wick does realistically get burned away, but only in tiny bits as long as it is properly maintained - and a single wick can be reused for several liquid candles).

My girlfriend made several small "ancient styled" lamps with a simple braided piece of torn cloth as wicks (very much like this)- we pull them out on special occasions, and burn them for probably 30-40 hours per year (burning cheap olive oil actually)... after ten years the wicks are in great condition, and I suspect should be good for at least another 10-20 years.

In solid candle designs, the wick does burn - not primarily, but as the wax level goes down the tip of the wick ends up further and further away from the burning wax, such that the tip burns down a tiny bit at a time.

Dude. What did I say? :mrgreen:

...the wick only burns when the wax is "too far away" to climb to its top. :)

My girlfriend made several small "ancient styled" lamps with a simple braided piece of torn cloth as wicks (very much like this)- we pull them out on special occasions, and burn them for probably 30-40 hours per year (burning cheap olive oil actually)... after ten years the wicks are in great condition, and I suspect should be good for at least another 10-20 years.

This is exactly the type we were talking about, but I doubt we'd find clay around here so we need to use things like old cans to hold fuel.

Heck just look at these DIY guides. BACON candle! :D

http://willowhavenoutdoor.com/featured- ... goes-down/

http://thesecretyumiverse.wonderhowto.c ... p-0134273/

• 2 weeks later...

Archived