Detailed Region Maps [SPOILERS]

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, whiteberry-toarda said:

I am not sure what to do about the wolves. I might leave them out of the maps all together since they are difficult to keep track of :)

Maybe just put the common ones? The most annoying and dangerous ones. Those who come near the buildings at least.

On Pilgrim and Voyager there are less wolves and more deer, on Stalker it looks like some deer become replaced with wolves. Difficult to keep track on different settings in one map. 

18 minutes ago, karabass said:

Maybe just put the common ones? The most annoying and dangerous ones. Those who come near the buildings at least.

On Pilgrim and Voyager there are less wolves and more deer, on Stalker it looks like some deer become replaced with wolves. Difficult to keep track on different settings in one map. 

Thank you. I wasn't sure how they changed from difficulty levels. For now I'll leave deer & wolves out of the updated maps, pending whether I can add them in a smart way ;)

10 hours ago, whiteberry-toarda said:

Thank you. I wasn't sure how they changed from difficulty levels. For now I'll leave deer & wolves out of the updated maps, pending whether I can add them in a smart way ;)

Maybe just shade an area as "here be wolves"?

2 minutes ago, whiteberry-toarda said:

It gives me an idea to mark areas as "Deer & Wolf area" so that you'd know what to expect depending on your difficulty. I'll see if I can pull it off ;)

That may work. That was mostly along the lines of what I was thinking. However, like you said, shading an entire map red to represent the wolf threat on Stalker would be very cluttered. I really enjoy your minimalist maps so if you can't fit in the new wolves its not the end of the world. :)

I still think that you can place a wolf mark for most important wolf places near the housing, like between Park office and Derailment at a Lake map. People who choose a base in such places will know the area is not safe and be prepared accordingly.

Just now, cekivi said:

That may work. That was mostly along the lines of what I was thinking. However, like you said, shading an entire map red to represent the wolf threat on Stalker would be very cluttered. I really enjoy your minimalist maps so if you can't fit in the new wolves its not the end of the world. :)

Aye, I was thinking not greying them out, but rather place a wolf+deer icon there. But might still just clutter it all up ;)

12 minutes ago, karabass said:

I still think that you can place a wolf mark for most important wolf places near the housing, like between Park office and Derailment at a Lake map. People who choose a base in such places will know the area is not safe and be prepared accordingly.

Yes, I think I'll end up doing that. I'll just have to play more outside my mapping-mode (Pilgrim) to identify the nasty ones, so will take a while :)

1 minute ago, whiteberry-toarda said:

Yes, I think I'll end up doing that. I'll just have to play more outside my mapping-mode (Pilgrim) to identify the nasty ones, so will take a while :)

Personally, if I'm using your maps I'm usually searching for a certain object/location and I'm not using them for choosing a base camp. As long as the bear dens and wolves in interior locations are accurate it should be fine.

1 hour ago, cekivi said:

Personally, if I'm using your maps I'm usually searching for a certain object/location and I'm not using them for choosing a base camp. As long as the bear dens and wolves in interior locations are accurate it should be fine.

only 2 wolves indoors, they never respawn - no big deal

the main trouble are wolves outside because they respawn and lurk and bite and laugh

18 minutes ago, karabass said:

only 2 wolves indoors, they never respawn - no big deal

the main trouble are wolves outside because they respawn and lurk and bite and laugh

Yes but new players may not know about the interior wolves. Hence why they need to be prioritized.

5 hours ago, cekivi said:

Yes but new players may not know about the interior wolves. Hence why they need to be prioritized.

They are already taken care of since those wolves are stationary and unique. So main problem is not them, but wandering ones.

• 1 month later...
On 6/5/2016 at 8:52 PM, Salty Crackers said:

Are you adding in hatchet locations? On your Mystery Lake map I see 2 little hatchet markers, but it's not on the key. Is this a mistake or is it a WIP?

I am not sure yet. Perhaps when the game goes live and there are less changes I will add them :) I missed removing those two from a previous try! Cheers.

On 6/13/2016 at 2:07 AM, FrozenScorpion said:

Great Job with the maps Whiteberry, I have two questions though.

What is the difference between a path and a footpath?

How do you pull up the in-game coordinates?

Thank you :)

Usually the paths are easy to spot because they are snow-covered roads, or ridges etc. where footpaths are a bit more hidden - demanding a bit more observation to follow.

If you're on PC you can press F9 to take a screenshot of where you are now including coordinates. If you press ESC to go to the menu first, and then F9 you can also see the coordinates it on-screen (it will still take a screenshot too).

I hope it helps :)

Archived