Different ways to fight a wolf and also a torch question

CubertFarnsworth

Xbox One player...

First my torch question, can you throw a lite torch. I know you can before you light it, I no longer see the option after it is lite.

My next question is, what are the different ways you can fight a wolf before they engage you. Can you scare them away with flares or are you just limited to dropping a decoy and running or either shooting them.

You can't throw a burning torch as far as I know, but you can drop it by pressing the holster button (H on PC).

You can shoot wolves using a rifle or bow and arrow

You can keep wolves at bay using a lit flare or torch (has to be lit before the wolf decides to charge you or else it will not work)

You can possibly scare a wolf away by brandishing a lit torch (left mouse button on PC) or by throwing a lit flare at it.

You can drop a decoy

You can keep a wolf at bay using a burning camp fire, but you can't carry the fire obviously so you need to stay close to the fire.

If you wait long enough in a place where the wolf can't get to you (i.e. fishing hut or near a fire), it will give up and go away.

Hope that helps.

Was just thinking unless youve got a weapon cant do much before a wolf attacks, so would be interesting if you are carrying some coal or wood if you could equip and throw it as it charges, could even throw your hatchet if u could equip it, would be taking a risk of loosing it in the snow though.

If you have wood, make a lit torch. If you don't have wood: find some sticks, make a lit torch.

Torch = 1.5 hours of wolf proofing. Repeat as often as desired.

But you cannot make a torch by just carrying some sticks and lighting those or can you? :?:

Because if you can I would just walk around with a lit torch 24/7! :lol:

If you have wood, make a lit torch. If you don't have wood: find some sticks, make a lit torch.

Torch = 1.5 hours of wolf proofing. Repeat as often as desired.

But you cannot make a torch by just carrying some sticks and lighting those or can you? :?:

Most folks should be able to figure out how.

Because if you can I would just walk around with a lit torch 24/7! :lol:

I would, and do.

Like selfless said, take some sticks, light a fire and add enough sticks until the burn time exceeds 20 min. Now you can take a torch from the fire (button appears on the add fuel tab next to the add fuel button once the fire duration reaches 20 min).

If you add enough fuel for 40 min you can take a torch, extinguish it, holster it (H) and take another torch from the fire. You can take 1 torch for every 20 min of fire.

If you drop a torch (press H) a few minutes before it goes out, you can use it to light your next torch.

When you brandish a lit torch have you figured if distance increase success rate of scaring the wolf. I know if you get to close they will jump you.

I don't know if distance make any difference, I never do use this myself. I would expect that the closer you are, the higher the chance of scaring the wolf.

You can force a wolf backwards if you take small steps towards it with a lit torch/ flare. But you have to give it time to move backwards or else you will get too close. It is far easier to move around the wolf and have it follow you though, but sometimes you just don't have the room to do that.

For XB1,to take a torch from a lit fire, press the X button once burn time exceeds 20 minutes. You can get 4 torches from a single piece of fir firewood using the metheod described by elloco above. However, as for lighting a new torch from an old one, i do not think you can on XB1. I have tried several different ways, including the one described above, and have been unsuccessful.

Archived