Food poisoning with cooked food?

an_actual_puppy

If you cook a piece of meat, and then leave it around until it is below 50% condition, it can give you food poisoning (as can a number of other foods below 50%). I make it a priority, when around base, to consume the lowest condition foods first, to try and avoid this fate!

If your food was already below 50% when you cooked it, you won't get it back to 100% and eating it might still get you poisoned, happend to me several times. In fact I tested it with meat at 27% which I cooked back to 77%: out of 6 pieces, 2 got me poisoned. The new system is very unforgiving and closer to reality, after all you wouldn't eat foul meat in RL even if it's cooked unless you absolutely have to.

If your food was already below 50% when you cooked it, you won't get it back to 100% and eating it might still get you poisoned, happend to me several times. In fact I tested it with meat at 27% which I cooked back to 77%: out of 6 pieces, 2 got me poisoned. The new system is very unforgiving and closer to reality, after all you wouldn't eat foul meat in RL even if it's cooked unless you absolutely have to.

Uh, not really.

Any food that gets brought up to proper internal temperature can be eaten safely. The heat kills everything that could cause you harm. All viruses and bacteria that can cause illness get killed at temperatures far lower than 220 F/ 100C, bringing it that high just "makes sure". Would I want to? Probably not. But, you could if you have to.

So long as the meat is hot and fresh from being cooked, there should be no chance that you get sick from it: the interior temperature of the meat would be far too high for bacterial/viral growth. It is when you set that cooked meat aside, at room temperature (or in your inventory) for a while that bacteria can grow again.

If the meat is literally rotting, you can literally just cut the rotten bits off and boil the rest for a few minutes. Not tasty, not appetizing, but it won't kill you.

I saw a "survival show" where the presenter ate rotten venison. They boiled it for a few minutes ( at a rolling boil), and they didn't get sick from it.

This is why I prefer to make soup whenever I am out in the wilds: it makes food preparation and consumption much safer than roasting and frying, because ensuring the food reaches the "right" internal temperature is much easier, in addition to letting us "stretch" food supplies for longer and get more nutrition out of the food. I still don't understand why we fry everything in-game: it is so wasteful. And, making soup isn't exactly difficult.

1) take water 2) boil 3) add ingredients 4) simmer 5) eat

As I said, if you absolutely have to you can, but mind you that although you might kill the bacteria by cooking meat, the toxins can survive cooking:

http://resources.schoolscience.co.uk/SGM/sgmbugs2.html

Like in the game, it's not 100% guaranteed that you get poisoned and in it's current state you can get away with eating the occasional foul cooked piece of meat. But living off it for weeks like we could in previous versions of the game is no longer safely possible.

Plus cooking duration does not change ingame when you cook foul meat, nor can you cut away the bad pieces. You handle it the same as perfectly well fresh meat but I for one would sure cook it longer if it'd be foul, 20mins for one KG of venison will make it medium at best, probably more closer to rare :D

Just to jump in here: yes, a recent update fixed a bug that had previously made food poisoning exceedingly rare. The bug was fixed, so it's bound to surface a bit more often now. ;)

The problem is that it seems to be happening in circumstances in which it should not. For example, I ate meat I found off a frozen deer corpse (can't remember the raw condition percentage) and cooked it up to the 75% range and got food poisoning. I drank the tea and slept for 8 of the 10 hours needed, so I ate from a different set of meat before going back to sleep and it gave me food poisoning yet again. This was an issue with meat I had stored from a different deer as well. I have never ever gotten food poisoning from bear or wolf meat - it's always venison. Is it possible there's a bug relating specifically to venison?

If you cook a piece of meat, and then leave it around until it is below 50% condition, it can give you food poisoning (as can a number of other foods below 50%). I make it a priority, when around base, to consume the lowest condition foods first, to try and avoid this fate!

I've repeatedly gotten food poisoning from cooked food about 70% condition. Is this WAI (working as intended)?

Edit: typo..."about" should be "above" (above 70%).

I believe so although I'm pretty sure that it depends if you have cooked 20% upto 70% or if you had 100% food that decayed in the fridge to 70%. The later almost never got me poisoned, the former behaves almost as uncooked meat, 2 out of 6 pieces got me poisoned.

It was meat that decayed from 100% to above 70% (I think it was between 73% and 75%). I got sick several times and decided to give up.

Just to jump in here: yes, a recent update fixed a bug that had previously made food poisoning exceedingly rare. The bug was fixed, so it's bound to surface a bit more often now. ;)

Can you please elaborate as to how the mechanic is supposed to work now? With the fact that this has changed so many times and was suffering from a bug it is unclear what we are supposed to be testing and providing feedback on. Spotdrossel has made some good points about the clarity of what is considered final and what is considered in the "testing" phase on the build.

I had thought this mechanic was supposed to offer no chance of getting you ill from eating food over 80% and then a slight chance when under until the food is in the orange zone where it would be a higher danger level. So since nobody really knows how it is supposed to work we can't very well give feedback on wether we think it works for the game or not or works as it should.

Clarity. Please give us clarity as to how this is supposed to work.

Respectfully,

KD

Can you please elaborate as to how the mechanic is supposed to work now? With the fact that this has changed so many times and was suffering from a bug it is unclear what we are supposed to be testing and providing feedback on. Spotdrossel has made some good points about the clarity of what is considered final and what is considered in the "testing" phase on the build.

I had thought this mechanic was supposed to offer no chance of getting you ill from eating food over 80% and then a slight chance when under until the food is in the orange zone where it would be a higher danger level. So since nobody really knows how it is supposed to work we can't very well give feedback on wether we think it works for the game or not or works as it should.

Clarity. Please give us clarity as to how this is supposed to work.

Respectfully,

KD

Just to clarify the bug:

In previous iterations of the game, there was a bug that only made it possible to contract food poisoning from a partially eaten piece of food. This made the chances of getting food poisoning rare, as Patrick mentioned. Now that the mechanic is fixed, food poisoning will appear to happen more frequently because...it is.

You can contract food poisoning from cooked and uncooked food, depending on the quality of the item. The item type factors in as well. Example: Certain items (like canned goods) have a much lower chance to give you poisoning when they're high quality. Other items, like meat, will always pose a threat...How much of a threat is reduced greatly when their condition is very high.

Does that help?

You can contract food poisoning from cooked and uncooked food, depending on the quality of the item. The item type factors in as well. Example: Certain items (like canned goods) have a much lower chance to give you poisoning when they're high quality. Other items, like meat, will always pose a threat...How much of a threat is reduced greatly when their condition is very high.

Am I far away from the truth if I guess that the formula goes like this (for meat)?

chance_of_poisoning = 100%-food_condition%

So if your piece of meat is at 70% you have a 30% chance to get poisoned. I'd guess further that canned food will cut this chance again in half, so 70% peaches will have a 15% chance to poison. It would help to know a bit more about the mechanic so one can calculate the risks and behave accordingly ;)

Doesn't really help at all. We don't have any idea how this is SUPPOSED TO WORK.

Bethany this mechanic has undergone at least a half dozen different ways of working, broken or not. So when you say it is working as intended and you won't say what the intent is how are we know if it is broken or not?

As the above posters indicated, cooked food in the 90% range get them food poisoning.

A. This makes no sense.

B. Is this a working as intended mechanic? Does this not go against the mantra of "We want the player to think their way out of situations and find the right solution to survive."

Heretofore cooking food made eating uncooked food safe to eat. So what is a safe range of food to consume? 95%+? Is it an time mechanic or % mechanic?

It is really hard to provide effective feedback if NOBODY knows how it is supposed to work. Based on this Id say if you can get food poisoning from food that was cooked less than a day ago that makes no real world sense and game world it would again be not a welcome challenge but a cheap way to make the game difficult again. If I got sick every time I ate something questionable like cold pizza as often as the chap in the game Id never eat leftovers. Yet at least 2/3 of a real world diet is leftovers unless you are Donald Trump rich.

So please spare us the we can't reveal how it works, only that it works and give us the details please.

I think we know enough to provide feedback. I've been logging quite some hours after latest update, and have been hit with food poisoning a couple of times. I like that I can't for sure know when food goes bad. Also. I've seem to detected that when food goes bad, other food stored in the same container have a higher chance of going bad? Not very sure about this though? But in my head it would make sense. To expand on this mechanic, one could think that sometimes you could be able to see or smell if meat had gone bad!? Another thing is, I almost always store my food next to a stove or firepace, and every couple of day I heat the room quite significantly, and thus also the food stored nearby. This would in real life make the food deter faster.

So please spare us the we can't reveal how it works, only that it works and give us the details please.

I shared as many details as I'm able, and feel fairly certain I gave you enough information to understand the basic principles behind its functionality, which is all you really need. Again, it's quite simple: The lower the number, the higher your chance of food poisoning. Cooking food reduces the chances, and items like raw meat will obviously offer a higher probability of causing problems. I don't think you need exact equations and percentages to understand the mechanic. It hasn't really undergone too many iterations -- It just wasn't working as intended before, which I detailed in my previous post. As I mentioned, I've reviewed the feedback here, and from everything posted, the mechanic is working as intended.

I think we know enough to provide feedback.

I agree =) You guys have provided great feedback, and have done so with less information that I've provided in my last two posts. It's much appreciated, and I'll definitely continue to follow up and check in.

Of the ones I can pull off my head, were the times when it killed you,

when it didn't kick in no cooked meat at all,

when it didn't kick in on raw meat,

when only uncooked meat from a wolf was dangerous to when any item at or below 50% even a granola bar would make you sick.

So to be clear you are saying meat even in the 90%+ range has a % chance of causing food poisoning?

Are you saying Raw and Cooked Foods should offer about the same chance?

Fish vs Mammal Meat Chance should be even?

Cooked vs Raw?

What about as Chill was saying a "supposed second mechanic" where if you let it get down to like 40-50% raw but bring it back to +90% as a cooked piece of meat it will now have about a 1/3 chance of poisoning . That is much higher than a 10% chance so is that a real 2nd mechanic or is it just bad luck? I mean since you know tell us.

As I mentioned, I've reviewed the feedback here, and from everything posted, the mechanic is working as intended.

I guess what most people want to know is: is there a safe treshhold which we can let food decay to until it gets us poisoned.

What I don't understand though if you say it works as intended: why give us bears with over 30KG of meat if half of it will be foul before we even can get a chance to eat it? To me this makes only sense if there are plans for introducing a new mechanic for making meat durable, like smoking or salting. Are there any such plans or am I missing something? I understand if you can't reveal it but I figured asking won't hurt :D

Archived