Looking Over Shoulder Hotkey

Bill Tarling

When being pursued by wolves (which happens a lot because I'm so tasty), it seems there should be a way to look back over my shoulders to see if I'm still being pursued, or for when I'm trying to work my way around a wolf and need to keep checking whether he has pinged me or not yet.

Currently we mainly do the spin move (switch keys and move backwards), but it feels awkward and unnatural -- you wouldn't normally have to do a full turn around just to take a quick look behind you.

I'm hoping we can eventually have a hotkey or a peek key [active only while pressed] -- doesn't even need to be a "straight behind" view, but even just a rear angled view. Perhaps alternating or randomizing whether he would be looking over his left or right shoulder -- that might encourage some fast double checks over both shoulders to get a full view of what's still closing in behind you. Or (if you want to make it nasty for us) each key press just does a single quick head turn look and then is forward again -- so we only catch quick glimpses using it. :idea:

What if, instead, there were an audio queue (either wolf or MacKenzie) that let you know that you're no longer being stalked?

There would need to be multiple audio cues though -- sometimes the wolf if close behind still [and if you're encumbered they'll quickly run you down which is why you need to spot where he is when you know you will need to stand and fight rather than expel more energy]... and sometimes they're following but still fairly near... and sometimes they're still trailing you even from a long distance (I love that long following because it's so unnerving when they won't just give up and move elsewhere).

It's mostly the perspective of knowing roughly where they are as that will often dictate which paths or forks you take, or whether you can ease up the running a little, or which way to veer towards distracting deer.

• 1 year later...

That would be kind of a lot of work to implement, since there would be player models and everything to add, just to be able to look above your shoulder. I personally like the limitation to first player, as it leaves everything to the imagination about yourself as a player. To me, it would be kinda be the same thing, as watching a movie, before you read a book of the same series: destroying a bit of the imagionation freedom.

Archived