More weapons

totorbanana

I wouldn't want many weapons in The Long Dark but currently I do agree that having additional weapons up's the levels of potential defence and options in what we can carry at one time.

The thing I try to think about is, where would the Canadian Rangers or other potential law enforcement be in all this? Surely they would pack some heavier ordnance and other potential firearms that normal civilians and or tourists would'nt have stashed away in their homes.

Here's a list of weapons overall I think swould be ideal in the game:

• Spear
  • Slingshot
  • .357 Revolver
  • Shotgun
  • Carbine
  • Scoped Rifle
  • Composite Bow
  • Crossbow

Some notes about the additional weapons.

The Revolver I went specifically for a .357 Magnum Revolver as I believed it would be ideal for a small town deputy/sheriff or a Canadian Wilderness Ranger as a sidearm. I imagined it being a Single Action and Double Action Service Revolver. It's advantages are it's weight and rate of fire but its disadvantages are it's rarity and power. It would be a fine defense against wolves and potentially a decent small game hunting weapon but is useless versus bears.

The Shotgun I imagined would be more of a Pump Action than a Double Barrel, why? Because I imagine a Pump Action would be much more common for a variety of purposes, both hunting and defence. I imagined it being a typical hunting stlye pump shotgun, 4 round capacity and the ability to use multiple types of rounds (which are colour coded) via individual shells or boxes of 10, but the downsides are its weight and its very loud.

These ammo types would be:

• Birdshot (Green) - Sprays a bunch of very small pellets in a burst. Works great against small game but only marginally useful for defense against wolves (scaring them off), useless versus bears.
  • Buckshot (Red) - Sprays 8-9 pellets in a burst. Great for shooting deer up close (hence it's name "Buck" shot), also great against wolves, not very good versus bears. Destroys small game (very little can be harvested) and pelts (reduces the number of pelts that can be harvested).
  • Slugs (Blue) - Fires a Solid bullet, increases the range at which a Shotgun can engage a target. Extremely effective versus Deer, Wolves and moderatly effective against bears. Destroys small game completely.
  • Blanks (Black) - Extra loud blanks which only fire a propellant charge used to generate noise. Doesn't do any damage but does scare any wild animals away from you including wolves. Does not scare away bears.

The Carbine and Scoped Rifle are basically variants of the existing Hunting Rifle.The Carbine would be a shorter, lighter version of the Hunting Rifle, it's magazine is capped at 5 instead of 10 and due to it's lighter weight, the ironsight sway is more severe and it has greater recoil per shot. The Scoped Rifle is pretty much the default rifle with a Scope and would be a somewhat rare variant. It's disadvantage would be it would reload slower (one bullet at a time, instead of two stripper clips) but having a much longer range. I would say that the Scoped Rifle would look like this: http://i.imgur.com/0pZoujNh.jpg or just the old model of Hunting rifle but with an attached scope.

The Composite Bow is somewhat like a modern Recurve Bow, I was against the addition of a Compound Bow favouring the more classic recurve. It's stronger and more durable than the Survival Bow and is somewhat easy to maintain. It could use forged arrows or it's own composite arrows (which when broken can have the arrowheads scavenged).

Finally the Crossbow is somewhat like a rare survival weapon, it would basically be like using a Scoped Bow with a only slighty less damage to that of a Hunting Rifle. It can shoot further than the Survival Bow, with more damage able to take down Deer and Wolves but is not terrible effective versus bears. Its main downside is it's use of a rare ammo type, Crossbow Bolts, the long reload time (you become immobilised during reloading) and difficulty in maintaining the weapon. You can have upwards of 6 bolts into the crossbow, 1 loaded and 5 in reserve.

Having (too many) more weapons changes the game dynamic from "exploration and food/shelter for survival" to "I wonder what it's like to kill with ."

If I wanted a to play a game about killing with different weapons I would not be playing TLD.

I'd probably be playing Call Of Dummies or Falldown 4.

I agree. Even as an avid gun owner (and fan of Fallout 4) I would hate to see this game become more about the weapons than the experience. The first time I found the rifle I was ecstatic, mainly because I didn't expect to find any weapons. Equally so when I crafted my first shoddy bow. I would hate to see weapons become easily found/overused.

I imagine the .303 in-game is like the "emergency" rifle that is leaned up in the corner, behind the armchair, in cabins all over the Rockies. It just fits the environment. However, a scope would be a nice find (and take the place of binoculars.)

Having (too many) more weapons changes the game dynamic from "exploration and food/shelter for survival" to "I wonder what it's like to kill with ."

If I wanted a to play a game about killing with different weapons I would not be playing TLD.

I'd probably be playing Call Of Dummies or Falldown 4.

I agree. Even as an avid gun owner (and fan of Fallout 4) I would hate to see this game become more about the weapons than the experience. The first time I found the rifle I was ecstatic, mainly because I didn't expect to find any weapons. Equally so when I crafted my first shoddy bow. I would hate to see weapons become easily found/overused.

I imagine the .303 in-game is like the "emergency" rifle that is leaned up in the corner, behind the armchair, in cabins all over the Rockies. It just fits the environment. However, a scope would be a nice find (and take the place of binoculars.)

Erik,

I'd really like to find binoculars but am leery about the addition of scoped weapons to the game.

You mentioned FO4. Interestingly, my disappointment in that is the main thing that made me google "PC survival games" which lead me to finding this diamond-in-the-rough of a game.

From past experience, and also from the tons of YouTube comments I've read about various games over the past 10 years (and read on other gaming forums over the past 20 years), I've learned that the more weapons added to a game, the less actual thinking there is.

Like you, I'd hate to see the focus skew towards weapons.

With ammo being as scarce as it is, no one will go around shooting random guns at random targets just to see how much fun it is...

Also, no one is asking for more weapon loot drops or for more readily available weapons. This thread is about more VARIETY of weapons. On ML alone on Voyageur you will find about 3 hunting rifles. On stalker it will be one or two. The number of firearms per map would not be changed, but instead there would be different TYPES of weapons we can find.

Imagine: Instead of finding 3 rifles and 20 rounds of ammo on ML you will now find 3 random weapons and 20 rounds of random ammo - you might only find a handfull of ammo you can actually use. This will encourage players (organically, not forced like the forge) to go exploring in order to find a gun for their ammo or vice versa.

This would be awesome and not at all change the game into more of a shooter or anything like that.

• Upvote 1

Imagine: Instead of finding 3 rifles and 20 rounds of ammo on ML you will now find 3 random weapons and 20 rounds of random ammo - you might only find a handfull of ammo you can actually use. This will encourage players (organically, not forced like the forge) to go exploring in order to find a gun for their ammo or vice versa.

This would be awesome and not at all change the game into more of a shooter or anything like that.

I for one would (probably) rather find unfitting ammunition annoying. At least in Fallout 4 I really dislike the excess number of different weapons and ammunitions. Half of the time I couldn't use my favorite weapons because I lacked the correct ammunition (despite buying everything from the vendors). Got so darn annoying that I even rerolled to a melee character at some point.

Not saying that adding one or two more weapon types would put TLD on a F4 level, but for me personally more lethal ranged weapons wouldn't improve my gaming experience. I like the flare gun quite a lot because it's non-lethal (and thus sth new), but more lethal ranged weapon's aren't necessary imo.

I'd rather like the Devs to spend some time improving the current "smash one button and pray to the gods of rng" wolf handfighting system. Possibly even a complete overhaul of the mechanics to make it e.g. possible to throw your knife or hatchet at an approaching wolf. Could chase away the wolf and save you a handstruggle if you hit, but missing would force you to fight the beast barehanded afterwards. Might add some nice risk vs. reward trade-offs imho. :)

Id like more weapons. Right now whole armory is limited to 3 of them and having 7 rifles in storage feels kinda weird. There should be some script in place that replaces excessive rifles(that spawned but havent been found yet) with something of use, like maintenance kits or ammo, depending on how many rifles player already found, their condition and amount of ammo.

Fighting off wolves at the moment is way 2 easy. I actually use them as main source of meat. Simply by knifing them.

And pls dont compare TLD to that piece of garbage, a disgrace to the series, that is Fallout 4.

+1 for a spear.

As far as rabbit hunting, I think a rabbit stick is the way to go.

Imagen483-3.jpg

Just a curved stick you throw to kill a rabbit. Been in use for literally thousands of years.

I'd love to be able to chuck just a regular stick! Might not be as perfect as a custom crafted throwing stick, but good enough. Would also throw them at wolf and bear for a small chance of scaring it off.

The sticks we currently have weigh 150g, that wouldn't kill or even know out a rabbit. A wolf would barely notice it... as a matter of fact, Cedar Firewood is more like it, weighing in at 500g or maybe even the Fir Firewood with a hefty 1kg.

No guns or handmade guns.

Can't see me hitting anything with a sling, much less a rabbit.

A sturdy spear, definitely. For hundreds of thousands of years the basic defense tool. Good for morale and thrusting at big hungry things. For hunting though I think not: I actually threw 2 meter long farming stakes some 20 meters away to see how'd it be. Needs a lot of practice and a fair bit of effort. I know, hunting spears are much lighter, javelins I guess. Could be implemented but I guess they would be rather ineffectual. A learning curve, both in throwing and creating the spear? Nice thought...

Perhaps an atlatl with an arrow. Hmm...

A shield doubling as basic sled. Would enhance the knife work and reduce bleeding and clothing tear.

The sticks we currently have weigh 150g, that wouldn't kill or even know out a rabbit. A wolf would barely notice it... as a matter of fact, Cedar Firewood is more like it, weighing in at 500g or maybe even the Fir Firewood with a hefty 1kg.

Reasonable

I'd love a super-rare, scoped rifle, tbh. Or at least a properly sighted one. The way the rifle currently handles, your range is incredibly short. I would like to be able to hunt from a safe distance.

+1.

Maybe even more: all for .303 rounds "rusty rifle" - can be founded at least once on any map - because of bad condition was left behind by its owner with no much regret (or became so due to bad storing conditions). Rusty rifle can be quite inaccurate and have high amenability to jam even if 100% clean. Better and more precise and reliable but less common - "rifle". Two or three"rusty rifles" combined could be processed into one "rifle". Then unique "brand new rifle" - precise and reliable, stored somewhere in the bunker. Unique - because there is no way combining "rifles" give the "brand new rifle". Models could be the same or just very similar. And of course, a super-rare, scoped rifle!

On that note I'd like to share with you a screenshot from my most long-range kill in the game so far. The wolf was running from me (scared by my wolf coat) and I tried to shoot him before he gets out of range. He was immediately dead, didn't continue running. Honestly, I thought the rifle couldn't actually hit something that far away...

rk31ab.png

• Upvote 1

I have had a bit more success with the rifle when I try and aim the barrel at the critter. (I assume the bullet will hit right at the base of the sight, not at the tip as is most common real life riflery.) How did you utilize the sights for your long range kill shot?

Best way is to line up your Iron sights with the bead at the tip of the barrel. If your target is moving, create a small lead (very small). Aim for the centre of mass, as the head is too small a target to hit cleanly, and most likely will lead to a miss.

I'm not sure whether bullet drop is a thing in TLD, but over the distances we are talking, its effect is negligible.

Wow, nice shot! Bit chancey.

It may be that quite recently the shooting mini game was changed: I mean, shots that I used to miss 1 in 3 now I miss rarely at the same distance. Might be me finally getting to know that rifle.

Anyway, this is a survival game. It needs to be a "by the skin of its teeth" thing. A scoped rifle would ruin that.

+1 on the padded arm protection. Though to get fur thick enough over a large enough area, it would weigh a few kilos. But it would sort of immobilize the wolf; with that shield/sled thing, no weight but also no immobilization (the bite could come under or above or sideways of the shield if not carefull and not stumble...might make a nice minigame (left mouse pressed and move to protect a quarter, right mouse pressed and jab with the weapon)

I have had a bit more success with the rifle when I try and aim the barrel at the critter. (I assume the bullet will hit right at the base of the sight, not at the tip as is most common real life riflery.) How did you utilize the sights for your long range kill shot?

I generally aim by covering the target with the tip of the front sight (the little metal bit sticking upwards at the end of the barrel). That is where I feel the bullet goes.

So basically when aiming for the wolf's head, aim in such a way that you can only see its ears because the front sight covers the rest of the head.

+1 on the padded arm protection. Though to get fur thick enough over a large enough area, it would weigh a few kilos. But it would sort of immobilize the wolf; with that shield/sled thing, no weight but also no immobilization (the bite could come under or above or sideways of the shield if not carefull and not stumble...might make a nice minigame (left mouse pressed and move to protect a quarter, right mouse pressed and jab with the weapon)

Maybe if you could cut pieces out of the wire mesh fences at the back end of the hydro dam, you could use one layer of mesh, one layer of fur, etc. Stick the left arm out to the wolfie and hack away at it with your knife or hatchet in the right hand...

I agree that MORE firepower is not needed, but varied weapons could add variety to the game and encourage players to adopt different playstyles.

Currently, you expect to find several of the same rifle and (/or) craft a 'survival' bow. If alternative weapons existed that offered contrasting benefits, and weapon finds became MUCH (MUCH!) rarer, players would have to work with what they have (the definition of survival), rather than what they know they will find eventually.... for example. shotgun for small game/birds, spear, pistol for close range defence mostly, found (not crafted) crossbow... etc. (And yes, pistols may not be super common in Canada, but finding one in a prepper cache or police vehicle(etc) is a realistic possibility)

( Or they have to prioritize crafting the bow ... the universality of the bow works against this idea a bit... but it is a bit overpowered still for a 'survival' bow, so maybe it would change)

I dont think adding a double barrel shotgun (its benefit could make it easier to kill a bear?) and some sort of pistol is to much fire power, i wouldn't see the need for a rocket or a nuke haha. And the fact that you have to search for limited ammo/weapons makes it a survival game anyways. More variety of craft-able weapons such as sling-shot/spear makes sense as well. All of which have been mentioned in previous posts.

I would love for there to be a rare scoped rifle of more modern heritage.

Perhaps there should be a 1 in 50 chance for something like a C14 Timberwolf with a Scope (A Canadian-made bolt action hunting rifle) to spawn in a hard to reach spot.

Chambered at .338 Lapua magnum, its ammunition would be even more scarce than that of the Lee-Enfield No.4

I think it would only be fair that the rare rifle and ammo would spawn together, so as to avoid the annoying "I have the rifle and the ammunition, but not the right ammunition for the rifle".

I think it would only be fair that the rare rifle and ammo would spawn together, so as to avoid the annoying "I have the rifle and the ammunition, but not the right ammunition for the rifle".

Unless perhaps 'spare' ammo could be used for something else at least?