Cooked Food Tasting Better

Bill Tarling

While playing, it irks me slightly that I eat a lot of cold beans or meat, even when I have a fire or nice warm stove right beside me.

Since "Cold" is always such a factor (and it is hard to get warmed up at times), it makes sense that we would want to eat something warm at times. Besides being easier to digest, it would also help take just a little bit of the chill out.

Rather than major overhauls, I was thinking the following might work:

If you're beside a fire or lit stove, and you're eating a can of beans -- we can assume you would warm them up first, and should get a very small bonus. Likewise if you pause and eat the freshly cooked meat while it's still warm [and haven't moved on to other tasks or switched tasks -- you need to eat right after cooked]...

I'm thinking maybe something like a 10% calorie bonus value for the cooked food (again, it's also easier to eat), and maybe a little bit of short term recovery from the cold.

For canned goods, the bonus would only be applicable if eating them near the fire source -- since we could assume you were heating them up, and they're still warm since you are still by the heat source. It would also only apply to canned goods opened using the can opener (since the can would be your cooking utensil) -- smashed cans would not get the bonus.

You really wouldn't need to add in a eat hot/eat cold option -- as long as you're by the heat source, it would be safe to assume you cooked the food to eat right away.

Makes complete sense. Just FYI I like to warm up my peaches and MRE's too. ;)

Pine needle tea might be one that could be worked in also if needed. That might be an option if we have a more granular foraging system for tinder in place as discussed elsewhere.

Good source of vitamin C and all that... just say no to scurvy...arrghhh matey!

I think the idea of purifying some foods by heat is a must. similar to how I can take basically rancid venison at 13% condition and turn it into perfect 100% condition cooked meat should be applied to anything you can throw in a pot and purify. Granted this should take time as a cost multiplier but, there should be a way to purify my canned goods. Simply eating them by the fire is not enough though, it should take a time investment similar to water purification to fix my rotten foods, oh and also a calorie hit for processing them.

To be honest, I was mainly looking at it in a way of giving a logical bonus, without them having to redesign or program an entire new branch of variables. I figured the 10% bonus calories for the hot food [only given if eaten next to the fire] and a slight reduction in coldness might be an easy way to give the sense that warm food gave more than cold.

Mostly if keeps the bonus simplified...

Sounds good but the mechanic is there with water and meat... do we add to the fluff or re-categorize the existing items to fit in the water/meat profile. I'm all for making it easy on the team but a quality product is what we are striving for. It just seems to get a bit abstract if there is a bonus for eating a can of peaches next to fire why not purify them the same way water or meat is purified? There would be a time cost like anything else which seems right to me and you could go ahead and eat the rotten peaches if you were desperate. Just thinking :]

Archived