Do we really need the forge to craft arrowheads now?

Jytton Lames

I'm in Coastal Highway so it's not so far to go but does this mean that if I start in Mystery Lake as usual I have to go all the way out there to make them? Will there be more as found loot in a new game? The two in the Dam I know, can't recall others? Is this a mistake - i.e. mine or yours? I'm in the Quonset Hut at the moment, neither workbench will make them. I'm not necessarily complaining, dunno how it would affect gameplay really but think I would miss the bow - with plentiful arrows - early on. Great update otherwise guys, have a good weekend and please respond Monday.

Somehow i like the idea very much that you have to go to DP for arrowheads.

One more reason to travel and dont hibernate at you camp ;)

what i am concerned about is the amount of hatchets you can find after the update (didnt check it out yet)

In my last run, i found 13 hatchets ..... :D so there is no need to craft one.

-> collect all saplings, go to DP, craft and never come back

ps: I found maple on the small island behind the facility and birch at the road collapse

Somehow i like the idea very much that you have to go to DP for arrowheads.

One more reason to travel and dont hibernate at you camp ;)

what i am concerned about is the amount of hatchets you can find after the update (didnt check it out yet)

In my last run, i found 13 hatchets ..... :D so there is no need to craft one.

-> collect all saplings, go to DP, craft and never come back

ps: I found maple on the small island behind the facility and birch at the road collapse

Yeah, it's alright I guess, just wondering really because it wasn't mentioned in the update log and I only noticed it 10 hours in, half asleep from too much TLD. This might not belong in feedback, see what other people think though. I've found a couple of hatchets and knives so far in CH, started in Desolation Point didn't seem to be any there so I made them. Could have made arrowheads too if I'd known, ah well.

yes, in the kitchen of farmstead i had in one of the cupboards 1 knive and the rest hatchets and it was full

(15Kg?) and in addition 1 upstairs in the wardrobe.

Cant remember if i harvested my first hatchet at the beginning of the run ..

Thats why i dont understand why there is no balancing for materials and loot in tld.

Same problem with food or now scap metal. The addition of the hecksaw is basicly useless because

you find so much of it and can harvest that you can craft dozens of hatchets without the need of breaking things down for scrap metal.

I mean, is there someone at hinterland who cares about this? I hope there is and the reason for these inbalanced things is the singleplayer or whatever.

The problem is that we as players only have the sandbox, thats the game for us. For the devs, the sandbox maybe is just a playground to test things for the singleplayer.

To stick with the example of hecksaw and scrap metal, it is as if a scissors would've been added.

"Now curtains and pillows can only be harvested with a scissors" ... so what? You mean i still can harvest all the not needed socks, jeans vests and 5 bedrolls without a scissors, get 100 cloth that i never will use even if i survive 5k days? Oh no! I need the scissors badly so i can harvest 1000 more cloth that i dont need and never will :)

Thats the problem. For just joking around, dont care if you survive only for a week, an hour or a month

you can just throw in unlimited stuff. But if you want to survive: "HOW LONG CAN YOU SURVIVE?" you expect at least some challenge to survive and a well thought through balance and not unlimited of everything. I really want to hear the reason for 13 hatchets that you can repair unlimited times each, hundrets of cloth with no use,or to find cured leather that has no use either (stalker). I truly can imagine that all this is completely irrelevant for the singleplayer, sadly it is not for the sandbox.

Because we only have the sandbox as "the game" but the devs have the sandbox as their "testing ground for singleplayer", it is like it is. I totally can understand that and would do the same because creating a new map like DP is in fact more important for the final game than wasting so much energy on balancing the sandbox.

With all the changes and things that have been added in the last months, it seems that it is also almost impossible to balance the game within a short time and that the ressources needed therefor are better used to finish the singleplayer.

The I really want to hear the reason for 13 hatchets that you can repair unlimited times each, hundrets of cloth with no use,or to find cured leather that has no use either (stalker).

If you are carrying forward games from previous versions through the save files, there might have been an abundance in the previous maps however the new maps, if you start fresh, don't seem to have too many knives or hatchets, at least not in my experience. I'm starting new on the new release so more feedback at a later time.

Steve

Just started a fresh run at mystery lake. I spawned directly at camp office and started scavenging the lake.

I have looted only the camp office, the lake cabins/huts and the cave at lake trail. So i looted only what is

directly on the lake (didnt went anywhere else)

:arrow: I survived 1 Day and 19 hours

:arrow: I have 3 Knives, 2 Hatchets, 1 Rifle and enough food for 100 Days

edit, stalker ofc :D

Not looking forward to a long trek from PV over to DP just to make arrowheads. I'd prefer something different and more of an incentive to go so far out of the way. Arrowheads are like fishing hooks, should not be a big deal to get them given how much searching you have to do to get maple and birch. Traversing regions should be driven by the natural need to move on, not a quest for one certain object you can't get anywhere else.

Maybe this is just a scheme to force players through the awful Coastal Highway wolf trap? I do not look forward to being in CH even the day or two it takes just to get to DP. Where other regions are a fair mix of exploration and danger, CH game play is almost like a FPS or war game. You dash from safe point to safe point checking for enemies around every corner waiting to ambush you. That pensive silent awe that makes TLD great is just gone in CH.

In fact, I was sort of thinking about going back to ML but dread the thought of being in CH for a while again. I'd love a way to never have to go through CH.

Connect ML and PV and the new region, please?

I am finding it possible to survive the wolves on the Coastal Highway near the Coastal Town but they seem to work in pairs now so you have to hurry to get indoors. It's best to plan short trips and not over extend or you will be vulnerable. The wolves seem able to determine your condition and attack when you are very tired and weak. You can't effectively fight them off in this state however I believe the game is survivable with short trips and bringing along plenty of torches and making fires as necessary before entering town. Best to bring a fresh torch at all times when entering the town. It's a pain to need to travel far to make arrow heads however it's not impossible. Obviously the coal needs to be conveyed in loads and appropriate metal found for forging. It's not easy since you also have to dodge the bad weather and fog. Staying overnight in the Hibernia Processing Plant is important staging point before attempting to cross the ice with all the necessary equipment and supplies.

Finding the rifle on ML is very hard. I'm not certain there always is one. It's also very hard to find on CH. The random spawn location makes it very difficult to find but it sure would make DP easier to manage with all the wolves around the lighthouse and the Hibernia plant. I think we might need more rifle spawn points on Pilgrim and Voyageur. On Stalker it should be harder.

Not looking forward to a long trek from PV over to DP just to make arrowheads.

Not only that: one has to first haul a shitload of coal to DP to get the forge working, and then haul back the arrowheads to the different places on different maps one has saplings/arrow shafts and feathers stored.

So unless the devs decide to put forges on every map, this move basically renders the bow and arrow useless.

Oh, and you'd need a mine in the transitional map from ML to CH too, because travelling from ML to CH to the abandoned mine in order to get coal and then travel all the way back to get the forge to work would be plain stupid. It's just too much work.

Just as gathering all the coal from the mines to bring it to the forge in DP just to make some arrowhead, which one then has to bring all the back is nonsensical as well.

They might as well not have added the bow and arrow.

So unless the devs decide to put forges on every map, this move basically renders the bow and arrow useless.

There is plenty of coal on the DP map... not just on the ship, but also in the many mines and caves on the ship.

Plus you don't have to only use the forge... there are arrows (complete and broken) scattered around the various maps

i didnt test crafting arrowheads but i think it is pretty easy, so need to rage about it :D

I testet the forge itself once, only with the reclaimed wood and the coal from the ship.

The forge had 150 Celsius for 10 hours time (i just didnt had a hammer), so whats the problem?

You dont need to bring coal with you, scrap metal and a hecksaw you get more than enough for 1k arrows only in DP.

All you need to have is the hammer, and a little bit of food and you can craft in just one session more arrowheads

than arrowshafts exist in the game.

So what the hell are you complaining about? :)

i didnt test crafting arrowheads but i think it is pretty easy, so need to rage about it :D

I testet the forge itself once, only with the reclaimed wood and the coal from the ship.

The forge had 150 Celsius for 10 hours time (i just didnt had a hammer), so whats the problem?

You dont need to bring coal with you, scrap metal and a hecksaw you get more than enough for 1k arrows only in DP.

All you need to have is the hammer, and a little bit of food and you can craft in just one session more arrowheads

than arrowshafts exist in the game.

Because requiring the use of a forge for something that can be done by hand is asinine. Yesterday in real life, I made 15 broadheads using sheet metal, a vice, a hacksaw, and a file. Took me 3 hours.

Just traveling across two maps and back is the issue. Took me about 50+ days in ML to be ready to go to CH, then 10 days to port stuff over, then moved to PV around day 80, and after porting stuff only really had a PV base up by day 100. Sure I could go light back to CH, but go too light and fast risks death. I've never got down from the CH-PV cave w/o at least one ambush so now I'm using up either torches, flares, or meds. And for what? A bow?

This is the not the +5 Bow of Wolf Slaying. It's a rickety bow that takes 5 or 6 shots to hit anything at almost point blank range. It's just not worth the risk of dying. Yet, being so hard to shoot, it is (or was) kind of fun to hunt with. I was on my third bow when I finally got a kill shot on a deer. I have to have used up a dozen arrows by now.

I think an risky quest through wolf-ridden regions should be worth doing. The bow is a mid game weapon for when your rifle rounds run out. Not some ultimate quest reward for reaching day 150 or something.

Just traveling across two maps and back is the issue.

Exactly. The other day I found a heavy hammer in PV. In mint condition no less.

Now, what am I supposed to do with it? Put it in my backpack just to get it to the forge two maps + two transitional zones off?

That thing weighs 2 kgs. I don't have room in my backpack for such extra weight, especially now that I have to carry the rifle and the occasional wood + food.

So at this point in the development of the game, my find is useless, except for scrapping.

I think I'll be starting in Coastal Highway until this changes. My current run I got my rifle and other basic gear, made my wolf coat (for revenge) then headed to the new area to get my arrowheads, by then I had enough feathers, maple and birch (assisted by a side trip to the ravine).

The rifle is good for groups of wolves as it scares off some (usually) when you shoot the closest, but it's just too heavy and ammo is so precious. Once I have the bow I generally leave the boom stick at home 'til I can lure back a bear and blast him near my fridge, lots of meat to butcher/carry so closer is safer. It's all playstyles really and of course the game is still growing so nothing is set.

Damn, it'd good gaming though, it's in my top 5 ever and not even finished yet, really well done Hinterland. I don't suppose Bethany could tell us if sales are on track for a season 2 or sequel, anything about the future of TLD?

Have been playing this game for almost a year now,almost everyday for that matter.Love it,just the style of game that attracts me.Love the updates for the most part and the quick fixes at times but this one,in my opinion,brings the game to a hault,at this time anyway.

In case you havent found this out yet,let me cut to the chase.The new update includes this new way of crafting called a Forge.great item and idea but this is now the only way to create an arrowhead!!reallY??I couldnt figure out where the option to make one on the workbench went?i went through it several times,nope,no there anymore.

couple major issues with this for the ones that use the bow and arrow as much as i do.i havent shot the rifle in over 200 days of playing,i love the bow!First,only forge is in the new region,so if you start in ML,good luck!!Second is you need to find a hammer,not sure if it is only in the new region but thats where i found it,surrounded by wolves the whole way!Third,you need coal to get the forge up to crafting temp.,and it takes 7-8 pieces just to get to that point!i found a lot of coal but probably only enough to fire this thing up 3-4 times and thats it!not to mention that you have to fine the coal in the mines and with the limited lantern fuel,i find myself using matches now!

Love the game but i think this is a turn for the worse?maybe im alone on this?

If there was a Forge on each region,this would be much better but the limited number of coal to be found would still be a problem?

Archived