#2574 v.264 PV - Will updates get out of a hole?

gatwood

So back on Aug 28 my wife trapped her game character in a hole. She posted the location on the the TheLongDark Facebook page (she's not on the forum). The coordinates are ( 915.7, 116.8, 2321.6 ).

The question is, assuming you (the developer) know about the location, will a subsequent update fix it so that she can now escape the hole (from her saved game) or does she have start a new game?

And just to stave off helpful suggestions, she was injured when she walked into the hole, so the game saved her 'IN' the hole, so no going back to the previous save point. Also, we've both tried crouching, moving, standing at various points just to see if it will jog the location enough to let her climb out, no luck.

However, she's stubborn and does not wish to give up and start a new game so she's waiting to see if an

update (like the major one just announced) fixes her situation.

So back to the original question... will it?

Again the coordinates are: ( 915.7, 116.8, 2321.6 )

I'm afraid she'll have to start a new game. If she's trapped in a hole, her character's position in 3D space has a height coordinate that is lower than the ground so she will never be able to get out of that hole.

The devs will fix the location so you can't fall into the hole again, but that won't fix her position. It's not possible for the devs to fix that for just one player.

It sucks when you get hurt falling into a hole you can't get out of, has happened to me a few times as well. But there's nothing that can be done about it. At least you'll have the satisfaction of helping get rid of such an annoying bug :P

So back on Aug 28 my wife trapped her game character in a hole. She posted the location on the the TheLongDark Facebook page (she's not on the forum). The coordinates are ( 915.7, 116.8, 2321.6 ).

The question is, assuming you (the developer) know about the location, will a subsequent update fix it so that she can now escape the hole (from her saved game) or does she have start a new game?

And just to stave off helpful suggestions, she was injured when she walked into the hole, so the game saved her 'IN' the hole, so no going back to the previous save point. Also, we've both tried crouching, moving, standing at various points just to see if it will jog the location enough to let her climb out, no luck.

However, she's stubborn and does not wish to give up and start a new game so she's waiting to see if an

update (like the major one just announced) fixes her situation.

So back to the original question... will it?

Again the coordinates are: ( 915.7, 116.8, 2321.6 )

Hi gatwood,

By any chance has she checked since the new update went live? Obviously with a game in alpha state there are lots of moving pieces from update to update, especially with saved games. Please let us know either way.

So, given the responses above I had my wife go ahead and update and try out her saved game again. She is

still trapped.

However, to clarify, I don't think her position in the game is actually below the surface. She is literally trapped in a crevasse. She can walk around in the area, she simply can get out because the side is too steep. From this location the crevasse looks out to an open area, but is too narrow to let her proceed.

Now, in the real world people climbing around on mountains and hills on snow are in danger of falling into crevasses all the time... but they also get to carry hammers and pitons and rope and other gear too that might allow them to escape :-)

So it would be nice if this area could either be made escapable. Or put a body in it with a note that says 'sorry, no way out' :-)

I've created screenshots of the location for the team to use as references, and I will created a bug report ticket #2574 - but I need to know whether this happened during a fresh run of either v.264/v.265, or was it from a previous version save game?

Thank You :)

I've created screenshots of the location for the team to use as references, and I will created a bug report ticket #2574 - but I need to know whether this happened during a fresh run of either v.264/v.265, or was it from a previous version save game?

Thank You :)

Hi Support;

My wife experienced this event on Aug 28. At best she would have had v.257 (based on the changelog dates). She's in the habit of playing for long stretches so she might still have been playing under v.256 or even v.255.

If there is a local log kept on the machine of when updates were applied to TLD I can go look through it.

She has now updated to v.264 and tried loading the save game, but was still trapped. I don't believe she will have updated to v.265 yet.

If it will help we can reload the save game and I can generate a set of coordinates over the very narrow area that she is able to move around in.

Thanks, I'll pass along the additional version information for the team. Unless I hear otherwise, they probably won't need the extra coordinates for movement area [i provided screenshots of your initial coordinates, and they can inspect that specific area]

Many Thanks :)

However, to clarify, I don't think her position in the game is actually below the surface. She is literally trapped in a crevasse. She can walk around in the area, she simply can get out because the side is too steep. From this location the crevasse looks out to an open area, but is too narrow to let her proceed.

Ah, sorry I didn't realize she was actually trapped in a terrain feature. Usually when people say they're trapped in a hole they have gotten a little below the surface by some glitch and are unable to get out of it.

If it's a terrain feature then that feature could be changed in an update to allow her to get out of it. It looks like the team will be looking into this so waiting a little longer might well pay off :)

Archived