Constant shivering when freezing to death

wolfstriked

The increase in immersion when the character starts making shivering sounds is great but stops playing after awhile and oddly not when actually freezing to death. :geek: I think any time a character is freezing to death the shivering sound should play constantly,annoying the player as much as possible to get the point across that things are very very bad at the moment.

Also,as you acquire warmer clothes you don't really get a feeling of actually being more protected and I feel that the constant shivering sound of freezing to death being heard less and less could relay this to player better.

• 4 months later...

This is a good thread to discuss a shivering mechanic. I suggest that once a player gets below zero or even close to zero, they should start shivering and be unable to accurately make shots with the rifle or bow at distance. It should affect the display in some manner but not sure how to do that without causing a lot of jitter.

It has been suggested that shivering wake one up from sleep; I don't think this is realistic or necessary. In fact, the opposite should happen. One cannot sleep when cold due to the shivering; you have to exercise or build fire to keep warm.

I have seen players routinely run and continue activities while they are playing close to hypothermia. A shivering mechanic could be used to discourage that type of play.

Please be respectful folks!

Archived