Not enough saplings

KD7BCH

Can go for weeks without finding enough maple sapplings. There should be more small and medium sized vegetation in the game. The engine seems capable of handling it, this doesn't look like a real forest just an abstraction of a real forest, there are many more smaller trees in a real forest. Could we please get some more saplings though that is the real problem. Im 60 days in and on my 2nd bow with no sapling to create the 3rd bow.

I hear this complaint quite often, but I simply don't find it to be a problem for me. Each game I play I'm sitting on multiple maple saplings and multiple bows. In fact, I feel like there are more maple saplings after v.256, but maybe that's incorrect, and they're just more spread out. I'm finding at least 3 per zone, every game. Perhaps I'm just lucky, though.

I'm afraid I don't recognize this problem.

In my last run (Voyageur) I managed to find four or five maple saplings (albeit from different maps) and in my current run (Pilgrim) I've already located two on Pleasant Valley alone. And I'm not even that long in.

I don't know if the difficulty level makes any difference though.

I don't know if the difficulty level makes any difference though.

Not really, I've found three maple saplings in ML alone so far on every single game I played in Stalker mode. They have different possible spawn locations, but they've always been somewhere. I guess the OP just needs to search the map a bit more thoroughly (the saplings are often located in rather remote areas like in the hills behind Mystery lake close to the prepper's cache D location).

???

15 maples and at least 30 birch from PV and CH alone. Stalker level. Mostly found as singles. No guarantees I got 'em all, either.

Anyone have comment on other point? Should there be more undergrowth? I don't think its necessary, but could be interesting to see/use.

Anyone have comment on other point? Should there be more undergrowth? I don't think its necessary, but could be interesting to see/use.

I'm not an expert on this, but in

(Ray Mears' excellent "Northern Wilderness" series), the Boreal Forest does have some brush and scrub poking through the snow, and it is a bit more densely forested than the game presents. Now, granted, Vancouver Island (where Hinterland is present and where most people speculate the game takes place) isn't in the Boreal Forest, but is close, and this video is just a small part of that forest, etc., but this is my best attempt to answer the question.

I think some of the more northerly of us could answer this question more readily. Realism aside, I think the game is beautiful already, so I have no preference to change it.

...and in my current run (Pilgrim) I've already located two on Pleasant Valley alone. And I'm not even that long in.

So I'm at day 11 now and I'm already at 4 maple saplings and a good number more birch barks.

Of course in Pilgrim, I'm pretty free to roam around the map, but I don't feel I wandered too far from obvious natural landmarks either.

I'd like to see (more?) trees of different hights.

Not 'the big ones' and saplings only, but something in between.

Maybe five or six different hights starting at about 3m (ca. 9ft).

That'd be nice...I think...

EDIT:

For the samplings...I'm in like day 185 and there're more than enough samplings...built three bows, at least 16 Arrows and have samplings stored as a backup, can't say how much precisely sry.

But there're plenty.

Didn't use the rifle(s) at all (70 bullets-3rifles).

In reality, any sapling would be "servicable" as a bowstave, you just have to vary the width and shape of the limb in order to make sure it both 1) "works" and 2) doesn't shatter. Doing so, however, requires actual knowledge of bowmaking.

I, personally, wouldn't bother making arrows out of actual sticks, much less saplings. I usually use some sort of cane as the arrowshaft, with a carved wooden foreshaft to hold the point. Cane-shafts are much MUCH easier to make than wooden shafts, and at the ranges we are using in TLD, there wouldn't be that much difference between them. In the case of TLD, dried cattail stalks would be perfectly servicable.

Archived