Meat Harvesting (v.08)

TattooedMac

I get a BIG RED Screen for about 5 seconds once I click Play in the Steam App. Then it goes to the Splash screen and all is good, but something to look at as its VERY visual.

I like the new harvest features, but I was stuck 3 times because I didn't have knife if axe to harvest :)

Ill hadn't noticed this before, but in the Cabin by the Lake, I lit a fire upstairs and the crackle of the fire diminishes as I walk away from it, but when downstairs as I walk towards the back wall underneath the upstairs fire, it sounds as if I'm still near the fire. Ill add this as a ticket and reference this thread seeing as its not in the Wild as yet ??

Ticket Created |Bug Sound ~ Ticket #66

• Hinterland

Brent --

Red screen is likely the new Disclaimer screen. We're fixing it but not sure if you might be seeing some Mac-specific issues also?

Hmm...re: knife/hatchet. Yes that is an oversight on my part. I may have to start the player with a Knife in inventory to compensate for the new changes in the harvesting system. There are knives/hatchets in the world but you certainly don't start with one, and they are currently not so prevalent...you have to look for them and get lucky to boot...

The fire audio sounds like an occlusion issue. The floor doesn't seem to be occluding the fire audio so when you stand under it you can still hear it as though you are next to it (correct?). This is a bug that should be logged.

• Hinterland

How would you harvest meat from a carcass in "real life" if you didn't have a knife or axe? Maybe it's fair that you can't use the system until you have the right tools.

(Ha ha...starve yourselves away with your exploit there boys...you'd be better off dedicating yourselves to finding the tools you need to keep yourself alive ;))

• Hinterland

I'd have to verify -- the intention is that a knife or hatchet offer a "bonus" to the harvesting action (like a hatchet does for wood harvesting) but it's possible that you can't actually harvest without one right now.

I thought I'd harvested meat without those but I have to check again. I don't recall tuning the harvesting values without the tools so I may need to revisit this tomorrow.

This game is getting too big! I'd have to ask Alan how many tuning variables we have by now, but it's in the several hundreds across all systems, at least.

Brent --

Red screen is likely the new Disclaimer screen. We're fixing it but not sure if you might be seeing some Mac-specific issues also?

Cant tell if its specific without seeing a Windows Start of the game. Its just Red Screen, with the Steam Box in the bottom right telling you how to enable the HUD and then the Splash Screen . .

Hmm...re: knife/hatchet. Yes that is an oversight on my part. I may have to start the player with a Knife in inventory to compensate for the new changes in the harvesting system. There are knives/hatchets in the world but you certainly don't start with one, and they are currently not so prevalent...you have to look for them and get lucky to boot...

Just feels out of place, when I could go to a carcass before and just grab meat. Don't get me wrong, the new way is great, but without a tool (This is for Bill) you can't harvest Meat, Hide or Gut . . . . Starting to look nice though BTW :)

The fire audio sounds like an occlusion issue. The floor doesn't seem to be occluding the fire audio so when you stand under it you can still hear it as though you are next to it (correct?). This is a bug that should be logged.

Yes that exactly it. Ill create a bug using your Big Dev words like occlusion :P

• Hinterland

I'm actually pretty ok with the idea of you not being able to harvest meat without a knife or hatchet, or really slowing it down and even possibly disallowing harvesting from frozen carcasses without a tool.

But, this will mean revisiting the tuning around the availability of those tools in the world. The simple fix will be to give you a knife in starting inventory. Have to think about that some more.

Update on meat harvesting:

Went to Homestead --stopped in broken shed [where frozen carcass is] and I was able to harvest meat, leather, and guts without any knife or other object.

Went into cabin, got rifle and knife. Went outside back to same frozen deer and was able to harvest using knife for more.

Went back towards cabin, shot deer. When I went to harvest, I switched to "none" instead of knife -- couldn't harvest anything. Switched selection back to knife and kept getting message "nothing to harvest" -- but levels showed there was a lot to harvest.

Hit escape to get back to normal screen, then re-clicked on deer. This time I left the selector on knife, and it harvested fine.

Will try to find other frozen deer to see if knife is needed -- don't know if that deer in shed was different from other frozen deer

Guest Alan Lawrance

One thing to double check is whether you have selected anything to harvest. It defaults to 0, so you actually have to specify how much meat/hide/gut to harvest first. I will change the error feedback message to make this more clear.

Re: Audio obstruction. This is an issue we've discussed and we are trying to come up with a good solution. Not so much a bug, as a pending feature.

Archived