Hotkey Wish List

bethany

+1 for the 'selectable Item to drop key' (not only a decoy).

+1 for the 'selectable weapon and Light source' key

+1 for 'auto harvest without Condition-screen' key

+1 for 'take all if allready searched' key (maybe center mousebutton...?)

(with selectable I mean that you can select the Item that's dropped/used whenever you hit that key)

...you would not have to use the hotkey for eating/ drinking if you don't want to...

And that's the point in most of the posts in the 'wish-list-threads' that abuses me the most.

Many (mostly the more experienced...) Players talk about 'dont give the Player this or that ability at all' (in case of maps, a compass or any other 'helpful little gadget').

But very often the same Players talk about 'the game is all about (the right...) decisions'.

Nearly every time I read things like that, I sit here and think:

Well, if that's true...why dont you just give the Players these abilities and let them decide by themselves to use them...or not!?

I mean, you dont have to use any kind of 'gadget' that could be implemented in the game...just decide that by yourself.

And if you dont want to use it...then just dont do it...it's that easy.

NOTICE:

I'm speaking of ALL Players...not anyone 'special'!

Ah, and by the way...I'd like to see a remove 'static Particels in Graphic' (in lack of better terms)-Option to the Graphics-Menu...or as a Hotkey.

@Aduron and @acdsfreak: you would not have to use the hotkey for eating/ drinking if you don't want to...

I totally hear you and I somewhat agree. The problem I have with this is summed up with the recent changes to running. Back when you could run or walk, I preferred the walking speed for realism purposes, but got bored after a while and permanently ran. I didn't love it, but it made the game far easier (since calories are a non-issue but freezing was), so I ran everywhere. When they removed running, I was so happy. I know this is a "save me from myself" thing, which may not be a road they want to go down. However, I think I remember hearing that the development team felt that the run/walk system wasn't in the spirit of the game, so they changed it to faster walking with occasional sprint.

Coming back to hotkeys, I conjecture that it is also not in the spirit of the game to have so many hotkeys that accessing your inventory while out in the world is unnecessary. All that clicking around may not be what players like, but you can't deny it slows you down, and makes you vulnerable for a moment out there in the woods.

All that being said, yes, I could just not use the hotkeys. I agree.

All that clicking around may not be what players like, but you can't deny it slows you down, and makes you vulnerable for a moment out there in the woods.

Thing is, the "slows you down and makes you vulnerable" would still be there, assuming that you're still not moving while actually eating/drinking. Even if the time that that took was increased specifically when using the hotkey, or the hotkey had a "rummaging through your bag" timer followed by a "consuming" timer (like opening a can and eating it, or opening a can then heating it, etc).

The "makes you vulnerable" and "is something many players find tedious" are two separate issues that don't have to remain linked. There are plenty of ways to address one while leaving the other in tact.

Archived