Hotkey Wish List

bethany

Hotkey requests seem to be fairly common. With the resurgence of the "drink fresh water" hotkey thread, I thought it might be good to make one thread where you guys can suggest a hotkey feature.

Let's keep this as simple as possible so I can keep track of requests in an efficient and organized manner:

Create a post stating which feature you'd like to see added as a hotkey. If you see your suggestion has already been made, quote the original suggestion and add a +1.

Try not to use this thread as a place to debate about why a feature would or would not be beneficial to have as a hotkey. In fact, I may remove posts that are not directly related to making or supporting a suggestion, as that could easily de-rail the thread and will certainly make it harder for me to keep track of each request.

Let's see what we come up with!

+1 fora container system to use a thermos/canteen to drink water from. Then hot key said container to drink water, tea, coffee, etc.

+1 for a hot key a ranged weapon (instead of cycling through current choices)

+1 for a hot key for a light source (instead of cycling through your cardboard match, wooden match, flare, lantern)

+1 Designate a particular food item as a lure. That way we can pick the 0.5 lbs 12% rabbit meat instead of the 2.2 lbs 98% bear meat. The current hot key from dropping a lure then picks selected item.

Well, I am to darn lazy to go searching for other posts. Bad on me.

I love me some keyboard shortcuts! Please consider the following which should make most of the game menus navigable without the mouse, as well as one or two new ideas for features to minimise menu usage. Forgive me if some of these exist already, I thought it would be better to be complete rather than omit things that were already there.

In the campfire/stove menu:

1,2,3 - navigate categories (fuel, food, water)

W & A - navigates up/down through options (e.g. different types of firewood/food/water options)

A & D - navigates left/right through options (e.g. amount of snow melted/water boiled) BONUS: Add left/right functionality to add multiples of fuel (e.g. 20 sticks)

Enter - Add selected fuel type (when in fire menu)

T - Take Torch

Enter - Melt selected snow amount / boil selected water amount / purify selected water amount (when in water menu)

Enter - Cook selected food item (when in food menu)

Tab - Exit

In the status menu:

1,2,3,4 - Select Options (Inventory, First Aid, Bedroll, Start Fire)

A/D - Navigate Left/Right through options

Enter - Select highlighted option

Tab - Exit

In the inventory

1,2,3,4,5 - navigate the category listings

WASD - navigate the item grid

Enter - Use item/Equip item

E - Actions listing (e.g. repair/harvest)

D - Drop Item

In Actions sub-menu and Repair/Harvest sub-menu

WASD & Enter - navigate & select actions

Tab - Exit

In the item transfer menu:

1,2,3,4,5 - category listings

WASD - navigate item grid

E - switch between to container/from container

Enter - transfer item

Tab - Cancel

In the item transfer amount sub-menu:

A/D - increase/decrease amount to transfer

Enter - confirm

Tab - cancel

In the First Aid Menu:

W & A - Navigate up/down between ailments

S / D - Navigate left/right between treatment options

Enter - Apply selected treatment for selected ailment

Tab - Exit

In Rest Menu:

A/D - decrease/increase sleep time

Enter - Sleep

Tab - Cancel

In Game World

B - Place Bedroll (No need to enter menu)

F - Cycle fuel type

All fuel types in inventory (sticks,cedar,fir,reclaimed) become "equippable". Just hover the existing item model in front of the player as per most equippable items. The purpose is to be able to add fuel to a fire without having to enter the fire menu. If you left click on the fire with the fuel equipped, it adds one unit. Your total held amount for that fuel type is displayed in the bottom right corner.

C - Place Campfire shortcut

X - Drink Potable Water Shortcut

Z - Eat food shortcut

Goes for worst calorie to weight ratio, regardless of food condition - or worst condition food, regardless of calorie to weight ratio

+1 fora container system to use a thermos/canteen to drink water from. Then hot key said container to drink water, tea, coffee, etc.

+1 for a hot key a ranged weapon (instead of cycling through current choices)

+1 for a hot key for a light source (instead of cycling through your cardboard match, wooden match, flare, lantern)

+1 Designate a particular food item as a lure. That way we can pick the 0.5 lbs 12% rabbit meat instead of the 2.2 lbs 98% bear meat. The current hot key from dropping a lure then picks selected item.

+1 to all of these.

@Bethany:When you say hotkey does that include the UIs or are you referring specifically to non-UI keyboard shortcuts?

Before you answer that I'll say that at the very least in addition to the current default functionality of the 1 and 2 keys, I wish every light source and weapon could be key-bound and by default be unbound. So, strike a match, equip a torch, equip a flare, equip a lantern, equip a rifle, equip a bow, would be undefined hotkeys by default that you could bind to whatever you want.

As more light sources and weapons get added they would follow the same general idea.

wouldn't it make sense to just hotkey the most used? there are stacks of keyboard keys. Maybe just hot key the top 20-50?

Another idea - well for pc users is use of middle mouse button to scroll through weapons :) but I guess this wont work for xboxers! using game pads.

wouldn't it make sense to just hotkey the most used? there are stacks of keyboard keys. Maybe just hot key the top 20-50?

Another idea - well for pc users is use of middle mouse button to scroll through weapons :) but I guess this wont work for xboxers! using game pads.

Yep, this is kind of intended to help me get a sense of how players prioritize their inventory/functions, and see what the top choices are within the community instead of just assuming I know what's what =)

Yep, this is kind of intended to help me get a sense of how players prioritize their inventory/functions, and see what the top choices are within the community instead of just assuming I know what's what =)

Best example I can think of at the moment is seeing the request for a hotkey to place a snare pop up all over the place, but not really knowing how popular of a request it actually is. It's mentioned quite a bit, but seems to largely be posted in different threads by the same players.

+1 to basically everything said so far, my biggest two bugbears are the current cycling on the #1 key is really, really difficult and clunky, especially when we have a whole keyboard and again, the "equip/unequip" and "drop" hotkeys in the inventory. Also, can we please have the "light match" hotkey back? That was useful and added atmosphere IMO.

Best example I can think of at the moment is seeing the request for a hotkey to place a snare pop up all over the place, but not really knowing how popular of a request it actually is. It's mentioned quite a bit, but seems to largely be posted in different threads by the same players.

Is there a way to make a survey to know how an idea is really or not wanted by the community ? That's more accurate to just say +1, because indeed some people are very productive in this forum, and this would fade the ambiguity away about the reality of a request.

To remain on the topic :

+ 1 for water

+1 for food too

+1 for setting traps

Is there a way to make a survey to know how an idea is really or not wanted by the community ? That's more accurate to just say +1, because indeed some people are very productive in this forum, and this would fade the ambiguity away about the reality of a request.

The only survey option I can think that's available at the moment is a basic poll, which would not really allow for much accuracy unless we could guarantee every person was only able to submit one vote. I kind of prefer this way as well, to give people a chance to add their own ideas and maybe offer details about their reasoning/suggestion.

There is likely a way to tie forum usernames to a poll if we decide to do any in the future, but I'll have to look into that a bit more.

The only survey option I can think that's available at the moment is a basic poll, which would not really allow for much accuracy unless we could guarantee every person was only able to submit one vote. I kind of prefer this way as well, to give people a chance to add their own ideas and maybe offer details about their reasoning/suggestion.

There is likely a way to tie forum usernames to a poll if we decide to do any in the future, but I'll have to look into that a bit more.

Make a quick form and have peeps copy/paste the results into a PM. You then have usernames and their results. Drop into a spreadsheet, done.

I was playing the game again and thought these hot keys would be handy?

E = Equipment - we need a one hit key for this? because atm you have to go to TAB then Equipment. E is also right next to the W key move forward so great easy access key if you ask me.

M = match (yes bring back the match hotkey) unless you have other ideas for that key bind.(maps maybe?)

L = Lantern (very handy when you have one)

F = Flare (scare of those wolves)

K = knife?

hrm -axe cant be A because A is bound to left movement key. maybe X for axe (middle x:) or C or cut :)

Another idea maybe a Q = Quench thirst ( quick drink of water if you have potable water) this would save us going to Tab - equipment - water - drink.

Anyways hope this might be some good ideas!

A hotkey for [glow=red]setting snares[/glow] would be nice; as well as a hotkey for [glow=red]drinking safe water[/glow].

Furthermore, I liked the hotkey for [glow=red]striking a match[/glow] and I liked the separate hotkeys for the flare/torch and the lantern (whereas I have no need for a hotkey for lighting a fire).

Well I think if we could match up the passing intuition like the Canucks' Henrik and Daniel Sedin, paired up with mad scoring skills like Wayne Gretzky in his days, and add an enforcer like Tie Domi was for the Leafs, then we could...

[align=center]* reads the topic again * [/align]

Ohhh... "Hotkey" not "Hockey"... ummmm, nevermind :oops:

• 2 weeks later...
Any plans on an autowalk key? Press maybe "q" and your character begins to walk forward not stopping until you press another key that cancels autowalk?

not a bad idea for us lazy butts :) I guess it would save holding down your W key and your middle finger cramping up :) . but you still need to move left right. maybe shift+W key to auto walk would be cool or is that sprint! key. else right shift key +W?

In order of importance to me:

+1 for separate keys for different weapons/ light sources instead of cycling them using 1 hotkey, or a way to select what item we want to equip (first) when the hotkey is used.

+1 for an autowalk hotkey (might I suggest double tapping the W key to enter autowalk mode and pressing the W of S key to exit autowalk mode)

+1 for a place snare hotkey

+1 for a drink water hotkey

+1 to be able to designate what item gets used as a decoy.

+1 for an eat food hotkey

+1 for a place campfire hotkey

I'd be most happy about a place snare and a place campfire hotkey. One for drinking potable water wouldn't be bad either.

Place campfire is currently 4.

I'm not sure how I feel about some of these hotkeys. For example, I like that drinking water slows me down and makes me rummage through my bag. Maybe if liquid containers get added, and you have the ability to "equip" a water bottle to the outside of your bag, then you can drink from that one with a hotkey. I know people don't like all the clicking around, 10 clicks to eat food, etc., and I can understand those complaints. But I feel like it accurately represents how clumsy having a big backpack is, like for example how carefully you have to keep safe drinking water from nonpotable. Like I said, I hear where people are coming from, they want a more navigable experience, but I also like the "slow" pace of the game, as in the opposite of a standard twitchy FPS, and I worry that tons of hotkeys might be going closer to that road. Minor worry, though, I also somewhat like the idea of lots of hotkeys, too.

Am I alone in this feeling? If so, feel free to ignore me :)

Place campfire is currently 4.

I'm not sure how I feel about some of these hotkeys. For example, I like that drinking water slows me down and makes me rummage through my bag. Maybe if liquid containers get added, and you have the ability to "equip" a water bottle to the outside of your bag, then you can drink from that one with a hotkey. I know people don't like all the clicking around, 10 clicks to eat food, etc., and I can understand those complaints. But I feel like it accurately represents how clumsy having a big backpack is, like for example how carefully you have to keep safe drinking water from nonpotable. Like I said, I hear where people are coming from, they want a more navigable experience, but I also like the "slow" pace of the game, as in the opposite of a standard twitchy FPS, and I worry that tons of hotkeys might be going closer to that road. Minor worry, though, I also somewhat like the idea of lots of hotkeys, too.

Am I alone in this feeling? If so, feel free to ignore me :)

You are not alone! That slow feeling of the game is why its so pleasing. Its pretty and quiet, but I enjoy it so much because of these little decisions. The hotkeys seem to generally be rationalized by things you would realistically have onhand. Matches in a pants pocket or a lantern hanging from your belt, weapons close at hand, etc. Food and water kept out of the cold to keep from freezing. The decision to hold off on drinking or eating would be done for you if there was a hotkey for this. It creates the sense that you are not playing the game as much, at least to me. Eating and drinking are a chore. you would not conceivably be holding 3KG of meat in your hands while out exploring to eat at the (literal) push of a button.

I agree, though, some hotkeys would be nice! +1 to match +1 to lantern +1 to gun hotkeys

Oh yeah...

I'd also had the idea that would fill some other requests, to use a "harvest" hotkey that automatically clicks through any confirmation screen. Ie, look at a cedar limb, press hotkey, and be taken straight to the time passing window as you chop it (using default hatchet, but not being asked to verify). Look at some rose hips, press hotkey, and immediately gather them (without the info screen / requiring the second click).

Reminder to others that Bethany has specifically requested that this thread be used only for ideas and the support of them, not debate of why something would or would not be good for the game, etc.

Archived