Cattail Stalks superfood

ethomas21

The highest density food in the game is the energy bar, with a 5000 cal/kg density. (Salty Crackers are actually higher, but if you factor in the extra thirst and added weight of the water, not so much.) Next is Beef Jerky and the MRE, at 3500 cal/kg, then at 3000 cal/kg come the Granola Bar, Sardines, Condensed Milk and... Cattail Stalks?

That seems unrealistic. That a candy bar would have lower caloric density than a stick... If these were adjusted to 100 cal per unit, or even 50 cal, instead of the current 150 cal, that would seem more realistic.

Then again, I do love being able to gather one of the best food sources in the game from harvestable plants, with the added bonus that cattails NEVER seem to spoil (left mine out on the floor for 14 days and didn't lose a single 'durability' point) AND you get tinder from the plant too! Double score! They make good mid-late game travel food, since the smell won't attract predators, they're lightweight, and you can carry as many units as you want (ie 300 calories or 3000). Not to mention they regenerate over time.

The only downside is that they take a while to eat (real-time) but since we spend so much time cooking anyways who cares about taking an extra 15 seconds to eat 10 stalks?

I meant that they respawn around lakes and streams so you can harvest them again. I've cleared Mystery Lake out of cattails (~40 plants on Voyageur; =6000cal) and then a week or two later come back and found new ones.

Hmmm, although maybe you're right that water plants growing new shoots out from a frozen lake is a little unrealistic... Alas.

Archived