What will kill you on a very long run ?

Le_Survivant

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Honestly in this build if you have a magnifying glass the only things that will end a long run is hubris, being drunk, or boredom. Surviving for 5+ years is doable.

I have to agree. The most I've ever made it was ~300 days... because I started a new game at that point. A year of a frozen wasteland is long enough :)

Now I only use that save if I want to explore a new feature/map area with lower risk of dying.

Honestly in this build if you have a magnifying glass the only things that will end a long run is hubris, being drunk, or boredom. Surviving for 5+ years is doable.

Completely agree. But I did say the inability to make fire would do you in if you're unlucky enough to not find a magnifying glass. Although that seems not very likely now as they are not nearly as rare as they used to be.

But for many people, boredom will set in way before they run out of matches. If they are managing their matches properly. I have in fact never ran out of matches, not even in my longest run. But then that was before the introduction of torches and I find myself using matches a lot more to light those.

I agree. Ever since infections became non-lethal and all resources (food, fuel, ammunition, tools, scrap metal, cloth, etc) step by step became either renewable and/or overabundant, the only thing that can still kill experienced players is either hubris or their own boredom.

This thread has really become pointless for the current TLD versions as it's atm impossible to ever run out of any vital resource (fuel, water, food, warmth).

And even running out of secondary resources (= helpful, but not absolutely necessary to survive) like scrap metal, cloth and antiseptic/antibiotics takes at least 10, if not even 100 times longer than most people can stand to play.

It's completely beyond me how people could think infinite survival might mean fun, but I remember some users were asking for it about one year ago because they found it "depressing" to know they would die eventually.

I really wish those people (or at least the Devs) would have thought through the consequences of their demands way more thoroughly. Because at least for me (and from what I read on the forums for a whole lot of other players as well) infinite survival is nothing but boring and no fun at all.

Thought I'd add in this thread whats going on with the current meta. Take it from me, THE limiting factor of the most advanced runs currently is Antibiotics, full stop.

You can heal food poisoning with rest only, it will just take a lot more time. So you don't need antibiotics but they do make life much easier.

When I'm going for a really long run I don't use antibiotics to cure food poisoning when I have enough food and water to last me till it cures by itself. Having to go out to find food while you have food poisoning is not a good idea as your condition will drop to 15% (or was it 10) so any encounter with a wolf would probably be the end of you.

If you get food poisoning that might be true however if you get an infection, you must cure that with antibiotics or mushrooms. Infections are fatal unless treated.

Thought I'd add in this thread whats going on with the current meta. Take it from me, THE limiting factor of the most advanced runs currently is Antibiotics, full stop.

You can heal food poisoning with rest only, it will just take a lot more time. So you don't need antibiotics but they do make life much easier.

When I'm going for a really long run I don't use antibiotics to cure food poisoning when I have enough food and water to last me till it cures by itself. Having to go out to find food while you have food poisoning is not a good idea as your condition will drop to 15% (or was it 10) so any encounter with a wolf would probably be the end of you.

If you get food poisoning that might be true however if you get an infection, you must cure that with antibiotics or mushrooms. Infections are fatal unless treated.

True enough, but almost 600 days in I have 16 old man's beard dressings which also deal with infection as well as 10 cups of mushroom tea. And that's not including actual antibiotics I have laying around. If you end up eating through that in your first 1000 days then playstyle is your bigger enemy

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
What will kill you on a very long run? Simple. Boredom.

AFAIK there is no game mechanic for boredom or for depression (an actual problem in long-term survival in the real world) Perhaps you are referring to reasons one might cease playing or commit (game) hari-kari?? ;-)

Archived