Coldwelders Log: Blood, snow, and sky.

Coldwelders Log – Continued.

My ears rang, the crack of the rifle was the last thing I remembered. Now I was laying on the ground, looking up at the monster as he chewed, and clawed at my face. I was helpless, I tried and tried but could not get away. My vision blurred, and trailed and smeared with blue sky, black beast, and blood-drenched snow. I couldn't tell how much of it was mine, and how much was his, but somehow I was on my feet. Staggering for the door, and bleeding like a faucet. I managed to get inside and close up the wounds, and take some antibiotics for infection. But I was as good as dead already. I could barely see straight, and I collapsed onto my bedroll.

Day 16-

The house was completely silent, and dawn shone through the windows like a brilliant fire. My body heavily bruised, and patched like old jeans. I wasn't in great shape, but I was alive. I allowed myself a small chuckle for an unlikely victory, but it hurt, and I coughed for two minutes. I was starving, and I knew I wouldn't be getting any better if I couldn't get some calories. I had one bullet in my rifle, and I was lucky enough to find a ravaged carcass a few days ago, where I picked up some gut, which was finally cured. I went down to the cold, lonely basement to break up some crates and craft a few snares. I was starving every second, growing weaker and weaker, despite my valiant survival the day previously.

I set the traps out in the orchard, hoping for even the most meager meal. But a rush of warmth and hope spread through my body when I saw the titan lump of black fur just over the snowbank. “Ha!” I yelled out loud, “Look who came out on top you hulking bastard!” I was Elated, and I found the strength to carve a few kilos of frozen meat from the carcass, and cook it before I passed out from starvation. Things were looking up, I just need to rest a bit more and I would be back at it. So I spent the day repairing my shredded clothing, and gathering the rest of the bear meat, along with his hide and gut. Now that I had nearly 30 kilos of solid food, it was time to start getting supplies together. I couldn't stay here for more than a few more days, having run out of just about everything other than water and wood. I needed a better coat, some warmer boots, and was eventually going to need a bow. Sitting still wasn't going to help, and I didn't really like that cabin, it gave me the chills every time the sun went down.

The fog rolled in and the wind picked up again, and I decided to stay a couple of more days, prepping for a longer trek. I figured I would head for the hills on the other side of the valley, hoping to find a town, or anything really. I was sure I wouldn't last out here in farmland, but I wasn't sure if I would last over the next ridge, so I was going to take my chances. It had only been two weeks, though it felt like much longer I remembered how desperate I was after the crash, how hopeless I was. Yet, there I stood, fed, warm, and hydrated. “I can do it again.” I thought.

Coldwelder-

Archived